Notices

Odd question—change in body temp?

Old 01-25-2019, 05:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Odd question—change in body temp?

Very newly sober. Used to run hot while actively drinking—sweaty all the time—when drinking, when hungover, when not hungover.

Less than a month sober and lately, I have been very cold—same clothes, same slippers, temp in house, etc, but I’m cold all the time.

Anyone have this happen? Just curious. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Suzie, congrats on your sobriety

I had the same experience, always hot, even with the air con on. Since being sober my body temp seems to be back to normal. You might also have lost some weight since cutting the empty calories, which can make you feel the cold more.

If you're worried, though, chat to your doctor.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, if you’re on the US east coast, I’ve heard it’s pretty cold there right now. (My father gives me weather reports lol)

On a serious note, I had the same experience. Full disclosure is I never went to a dr about it and if you are worried about a health concern you should go.

Oh, how I hated being so hot. It was terrible and to think I was used to it! I’m not a dr but I think it was about being dehydrated, having higher blood pressure, extra bloat, and dysfunctional organs from poisoning myself.

Congrats on your sober time! Keep it up, it gets better.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

How long are you sober? I'd suggest you see your doctor for a checkup.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A little over 3 weeks sober. I will check with doctor on Monday, I just thought maybe others had experienced it and knew the reason. Just another new thing in sobriety. This first few weeks have brought a lot of different things I’m not used to but I am willing to deal with in order to stay sober.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If it were me, I'd give myself a bit more sober time and see if the issue resolved itself. If not, definitely see your doctor.

Congrats on three weeks sober! It's kind of up and down at first, but it does get better.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Suzieq17 View Post
Less than a month sober and lately, I have been very cold—same clothes, same slippers, temp in house, etc, but I’m cold all the time.
Hi Suzieq. I'm not necessarily cold all the time but I have noticed that I keep my temp much higher in the house. I used to like it at 68 or below. Now I like it at a minimum of 72-75. My mother in law used to tell me that I needed to move to Alaska because I was so hot blooded.
I just mentioned this to a friend of mine today and was thinking it had to do with the blood pressure medication I went on around the same time.
I had not heard that drinking makes you hotter. Hoping I'll be able to deal with the summer better this year. BTW I'm on day 23.
Hope
Old 01-25-2019, 08:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I remember when I drank and I would go without for too long, I'd actually feel myself getting cold, specifically in my lower body.

Temperature shift is fairly common in withdrawal I think. Cold sweats, flu like symptoms....you name it, we got it lol

If you haven't been to a doc lately then now would be a great time to go have an honest conversation and check things out. It will help you further yourself in your new path to sobriety. I'm glad you're here