Notices

Feel better and get worse or feel worse and get better

Old 01-21-2019, 04:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feel better and get worse or feel worse and get better

I was just reminiscing about a time when I came across the quote by a life coach that I was reading long ago in self-help book but never completed it. Anyway, it said something about how lots of people take drugs or alcohol to feel better but ultimately are getting worse each time. And the question he often asked his clients was 'Do you want to feel better and get worse or feel worse and get better?'

Of course, you will eventually end up feeling good too but I guess it is silly to expect not to feel bad or even very bad after just starting the road to recovery.

I guess one way you could look at it is that there is one hell of a storm that you must go through to get to the other side but once you get to the other side you can relax knowing that you will never have to enter into that storm again!

The next step for me is to actually write on sticky notes as to the reasons for why I am quitting alcohol and still them everywhere I will see them; turns out just writing notes on the computer screen might not be enough - this idea was inspired by me to by a self-help site online by the way. But let's try it and see what happens.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi jamaco - whatever works man,
Post it notes didn't do it for me I'm afraid - too easy to ignore - but coming here daily, reading and posting, making a recovery action plan, did

D
Old 01-21-2019, 06:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I could put my energy in to my 1 year old daughter at the time.
When I say could I mean I had to.
No time for dwelling for too long.
Utterly exhausting stuff.

Feel great now though.
The only thing I think I’d change is I wish I’d looked for sr sooner than 11 months in to my sobriety.
This site really puts addiction in its place.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Whatever works- notes are ok- I put up written motivators and art stuff I do. To remind me of what I was, and what I am now.