Notices

99 problems but a drink ain't one

Old 01-18-2019, 05:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

99 problems but a drink ain't one

Up early, hangover free, at the gym after spending a few golden moments with my 7mo daughter. New work prospects are positive, though certainly require me to be at my best - focused, engaged and confident.

Not all gravy though. Strained family relations are without any good resolution. I spent the night in the ER a few weeks ago due to a pretty badly injured disc in my back. Not enough time in the day to do half the things that need to be done. Little rest for the weary.

But. It's. All. Good.

I have a life that I can handle, enjoy, reflect on, be proud of. Drinking is no longer a part of it, no longer hurting and abbreviating and staining every damn thing.

You are free when you realize that you can no longer drink anymore, ever, again. Free. In a state of grace. Granted peace even.

Drinking isn't a choice for me. It's not an option. And my life, with 99 other problems, is mine again for the first time.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Beautifully articulated Less! Thanks for reminding me how grateful I am to be sober despite times being challenging for me too right now. xx
Old 01-18-2019, 07:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post. It's real pause for thought.

Next time I am throwing a personal tantrum how I'm not free to drink, I will remind myself that I'm free to do everything else.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is so true LG. I've had many difficult and life changing events over the past three years, and handling them sober allowed me to actually handle them, and feel, and grieve. Alcohol does nothing but make a bad situation worse.

Enjoy your time with your 7month old, they grow up way too fast!!!❤️
Old 01-18-2019, 10:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
This is so true LG. I've had many difficult and life changing events over the past three years, and handling them sober allowed me to actually handle them, and feel, and grieve. Alcohol does nothing but make a bad situation worse.

Enjoy your time with your 7month old, they grow up way too fast!!!❤️

In hindsight the only reason I drank was because I was addicted physically.

I have way more fun during fun times now that I am super clean. Tough times go better as well.

I handle stress way better and face to face confrontation is a whole new and better world.

My strength at the gym has doubled.

It took about 4 clean years to get here and it was well worth the journey.

Never going back. Never getting addicted to anything ever again.

Thanks.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WaterOx View Post
Great post. It's real pause for thought.

Next time I am throwing a personal tantrum how I'm not free to drink, I will remind myself that I'm free to do everything else.
I like this.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think of all the irrational choices I made because I was under the influence, thinking at the time I was making the "right" choice. Trying to solve my 99 problems. Then only to discover later I was a moron and only made everything worse.

Life is hard, and pushing through sober makes many things a lot more manageable. Sober communication has been key for me, allowing me to keep my temper under control and expressing my feelings appropriately.

Thanks LG for some positive thoughts today.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Less awesome post. Something you said about finally realizing that I simply cannot drink anymore has really struck a chord with me. I truly believe I have turned that corner.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I love the way you write.

Must be a lawyer...