Notices

Nightmares

Old 01-08-2019, 08:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nightmares

Day 6 here, very weak and lucky to have time off to get through. I知 in a new city, looking for work. The last month we moved countries and during the move stress I lost my sobriety and most of our money. Anyways, I知 back, back in the gym everyday .... gained 15 lbs in 2018.

So every night it feels as if I知 having all night very bizarre, violent, nightmares. Last night I dreamed I was kidnapped by a cartel in El Salvador 🤨. So many strange terrifying situations all night since being sober. Why is this happening and when will these nightmares stop? I知 sleeping 12 hours a night but it痴 like a nightmare coma type sleep.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have horrible nightmares. I remind myself when I wake such bad dreams do not harm me in real life- if I do not let them. I touch a surface and breathe. I also journal and talk to a professional- about the emotions waking up. The imagery is not always meaning what they show, but the brain making reconnections- for me, post booze.

Support to you.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That sounds awful, I've not experienced the nightmares, just the general night sweats, hopefully they'll ease with time, stay strong!
Old 01-09-2019, 12:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had some very vivid nightmares in the beginning but they eased off eventually - hope it happens soon for you Mariposa

D
Old 01-09-2019, 03:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job on starting a sober life again.

The last months of my drinking I had horrible and vivid nightmares. As I got into sobriety, these gradually changed to incredibly vivid dreams. Now, I generally dream the kind of "weird" stuff where some pieces don't match anything close to reality (ie, I don't really have a sister) and ones that do, usually stuff that is on my mind. That's the kind of stuff I remember having pre-full-blow-alcoholism.

Like many people I have heard talk, I have had the "drinking dream" stuff- a couple early on that remain stark as day in my mind. We are processing SO much as we get sober. I believe stuff works itself out in our dreams, and knowing that I do wake up sober, even if it came with a jolt that morning, is the important part.

Keep going!
Old 01-09-2019, 05:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nightmares were normal for me. Went away within a week or two.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes it's pretty normal in early sobriety. What's not as common is sleeping 12 hours. In fact most people sleep much less due to insomnia....I'm rather jealous