Notices

Just 1 wont hurt. Will it?

Old 12-10-2018, 10:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just 1 wont hurt. Will it?

Something I have been thinking about. I wonder if someone on here can use this and make it better.
Im told just 1 drink wont hurt, Will it?
So 1 sip leads to 1 glass
1 glass turns into 1 more
Oh that leaves the bottle half full may as well finish it.
1 bottle leads to 1 more bottle then oh well im on it now.
May as well make it 1 night.
1 night = 1blackout. 1 blackout = 1 guilt trip (what did I say, what did I do. Who do I have to apologise to.)
Horrible hangover = Hair of the dog = just 1 more day on it.
1 day = 1 week = 1 month = 1 year
All the hard work gone because just 1 wont hurt.Will it?
To someone like me please understand just 1 sip WILL hurt because after 1 sip thats me back on the rocky alcoholism road.
Please dont offer the line Just 1 wont hurt, Will it?
To someone like me just 1 could cost me everything.
71 days today and looking forward to 72. Just keep reminding myself about just 1
Old 12-10-2018, 10:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, one will hurt you. Don't do it.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Without taking that first one you can't get drunk. So yes, one will hurt you.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am trying to work with this to make it better so that if I really have to I can take it out for people to read so that they can understand
Old 12-10-2018, 11:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good message
Great job on 71 days Cryfreedom. Congratulations
I am on day #71 myself and looking forward to tomorrow
Old 12-10-2018, 01:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Unfortunately normies will never understand that we can't have that one sip, so it's really only down to us to not take it.

Most of my friends here in the USA are aware I do not drink any more and they don't even say 'Oh just one sip' or 'just a shot as it is my Birthday!' etc.

When I go home to the UK at Christmas I know for a fact people like my mum won't understand why I can't take that sip, so she will be saying 'Oh well you have to have a drink to toast the New Year in!' for example, but it's down to me to not have it.

Big congrats on 71 days! Day 134 for me and planning on getting through this Christmas sober, regardless of how many times my mum says 'A glass now and then won't hurt!' haha.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NerfThis View Post
Unfortunately normies will never understand that we can't have that one sip, so it's really only down to us to not take it.

Most of my friends here in the USA are aware I do not drink any more and they don't even say 'Oh just one sip' or 'just a shot as it is my Birthday!' etc.

When I go home to the UK at Christmas I know for a fact people like my mum won't understand why I can't take that sip, so she will be saying 'Oh well you have to have a drink to toast the New Year in!' for example, but it's down to me to not have it.

Big congrats on 71 days! Day 134 for me and planning on getting through this Christmas sober, regardless of how many times my mum says 'A glass now and then won't hurt!' haha.
Your mum sounds like my dad. He keeps saying to me that there's nothing wrong with having a pint now and again and there's no amount of me explaining about the problems I have with alcohol that makes any difference as he simply doesn't listen / doesn't understand / doesn't want to know. He's not as bad now but a few years ago we almost came to blows about it as he was actually insulting me because I was just drinking a coke rather than a pint of lager. Things along the lines of "you're not man enough to drink" etc. Unfortunately my dad knows how to press buttons on people. He's always been great at finding and exposing weaknesses that people have. These days I just ignore him when he tries to be "funny".

134 days is excellent, well done. Christmas and New Year sound like they could be obstacles if people try to pressurise you into drinking but it would be a shame to throw away all you've achieved even for the sake of seeing in the New Year with just one drink!
Old 12-10-2018, 01:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Way to go on 134 days Nerf
Happy Holidays
Old 12-10-2018, 04:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you very much Spiritman and I hope you have a great holiday too! Congrats on 71 days!

Robbie64 Thank you! And I agree with you completely about not throwing it away with one drink. Your dad definitely sounds like he has the 'It doesn't matter what you say, I'm right because I'm right!' attitude and his opinion is definitely backwards if he believes you're only man enough if you drink. As you have said though, he's clearly trying to get a reaction out of you and it's great that you just completely ignore him. It's just so unfortunate that people want to find weakness in others especially when it's their own family, but I guess most people do it because they have their own weaknesses that they're ashamed of, so want to pick at others. There is a huge amount of strength needed to admit to an alcohol problem and battle it.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

After 12 years, my family still thinks that all I need to do is 'know when I've had enough'.

They don't understand I've never known where that line is.

I can't make my family understand, but I can understand.
Its my problem - I'm the only one who really needs to understand

D
Old 12-10-2018, 06:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good job on your sober time. The problem I had was I never wanted just one. One was a waste of time, I drank to get drunk.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great post
For me- 1 drink is too much, 50 is never enough.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats cryfreedom!
I believe you are correct about everything you said. I can totally relate
I agree with nerf too. Those darn normies will never get it.