View Single Post
Old 12-10-2018, 01:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Robbie64

Originally Posted by NerfThis View Post
Unfortunately normies will never understand that we can't have that one sip, so it's really only down to us to not take it.

Most of my friends here in the USA are aware I do not drink any more and they don't even say 'Oh just one sip' or 'just a shot as it is my Birthday!' etc.

When I go home to the UK at Christmas I know for a fact people like my mum won't understand why I can't take that sip, so she will be saying 'Oh well you have to have a drink to toast the New Year in!' for example, but it's down to me to not have it.

Big congrats on 71 days! Day 134 for me and planning on getting through this Christmas sober, regardless of how many times my mum says 'A glass now and then won't hurt!' haha.
Your mum sounds like my dad. He keeps saying to me that there's nothing wrong with having a pint now and again and there's no amount of me explaining about the problems I have with alcohol that makes any difference as he simply doesn't listen / doesn't understand / doesn't want to know. He's not as bad now but a few years ago we almost came to blows about it as he was actually insulting me because I was just drinking a coke rather than a pint of lager. Things along the lines of "you're not man enough to drink" etc. Unfortunately my dad knows how to press buttons on people. He's always been great at finding and exposing weaknesses that people have. These days I just ignore him when he tries to be "funny".

134 days is excellent, well done. Christmas and New Year sound like they could be obstacles if people try to pressurise you into drinking but it would be a shame to throw away all you've achieved even for the sake of seeing in the New Year with just one drink!