Notices

Partner refuses to support my desire to be in AA

Old 12-04-2018, 01:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Partner refuses to support my desire to be in AA

Hi everyone,

I am in a rather dark place at the moment and would love the wisdom of those here.

I am an alcoholic who has been in AA before, with good results (over four years sober). I have not been sober in nearly two years, brought on in part by the end of a 16-year marriage (though my choices I own completely).

I am in a fairly new relationship that can be quite loving and also quite volatile. Specifically, my bf becomes extremely angry if I have been drinking by myself (which is of course the way I prefer to drink now). He thinks I should be able to drink socially, and does not support me going back to AA because 1) he does not think I'm an alcoholic, 2) He believes I have control over what I do and that AA is a cop-out, and 3) this would take away from our relationship as he does not want to feel like I am white-knuckling every social event where there might be alcohol, etc.

It is clear to me that I have tough choices ahead. I don't know what to do. Any advice from someone who has experienced something similar (or otherwise) would be so very much appreciated. Thank you.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don’t have direct experience relating to your situation. However, I have found it common that many normal people just don’t understand alcoholism. It’s obvious that your boyfriend doesn’t understand how it works. Would he be capable or willing? If the answer is No then the relationship probably won’t work Sobriety has to come first in my books.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR aph79 I hope we can help, from your post I see that -

He thinks I should be able to drink socially, and does not support me going back to AA because 1) he does not think I'm an alcoholic, 2) He believes I have control over what I do and that AA is a cop-out, and 3) this would take away from our relationship as he does not want to feel like I am white-knuckling every social event where there might be alcohol, etc.

I see a lot about him but what about you? You need to do what's right for you because after all you are getting sober for yourself not him, right? If you feel like you need the help of AA then go to AA, do whatever it takes to get yourself sober.

Take care and good luck.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! My advice is to put yourself first!
Old 12-04-2018, 01:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Make it clear your a modern woman and can and will make your own decisions.

A controlling person who is not supportive of you getting sober is not going to be good for you.

You will have to make the decision if your relationship is worth pursuing.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

The important thing here is 'you'. You know what you want and need to do right now, which is to go to AA and stop drinking. It doesn't matter whether or not your boyfriend thinks you are an alcoholic. He is trying to control your behaviour and the relationship and quite frankly, that sounds scary to me.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Does he have experience with alcoholism? A good book/website on the subject might be worthwhile. If he wants to make things work, reading a book about what you 'think you' are suffering with could make a difference. If he is unwilling to read up on it, it may be difficult for the two of you to communicate what you need from this relationship. I hope you find a peaceful way forward... (I used the quotes to insert his perspective only, no denial of your perspective whatsoever)
Old 12-04-2018, 02:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome back!

Sounds like you know what you need to do for you. This isn't your first rodeo.

Best of luck,
DC
Old 12-04-2018, 02:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think it's a very good decision to want to reach out for help, how could that be a negative?

To look at the bigger picture, what if you became depressed and needed to take anti-depressants? Is that ok, if your Doctor prescribes them is he ok with you taking them or will he just tell you to not be depressed?

There is a huge control issue going on here and that is a big red flag in any relationship.

You have identified yourself as an alcoholic. You know you are an alcoholic and would like to seek help with that.

Just because he doesn't like it, doesn't mean it isn't true or that you shouldn't seek help. All the anger in the world doesn't make him "right". Anyway, that's his side of the street, not much you can do about that, you can only look after your own side.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thank you

Thank you for all the responses (and I will continue to read any more that come in with deepest gratitude).
Old 12-04-2018, 03:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome aph79

I agree with Anna - you know what you need. Be your own best friend and do what you know needs doing. Your bf will have to get used to it.

D
Old 12-04-2018, 05:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Do what's best for your health and well being. He sounds like a control freak to me.

I hope you can use the support here and at AA to achieve lasting sobriety.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

From what you wrote it sounds like a really easy decision. Sounds like, on some level, an abusive relationship that is new. That reason alone would be cause to get out. On top of that this person has no clue how to understand your problem and seems to have no interest in even trying.

I would tell him that if he is serious about being with you than he needs to attend Al-Anon to help him understand how your mind works. If he has no interest in that than I would say he's not the one for you and get out before you become more invested in a bad deal.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

4) Wants what's best/most comfortable for him.

"new relationship" and I'm going to assume you met while drinking,thus he doesn't want to lose his 'drinking GF'?...Let me know if that's not the case..Either way; it's your life to live how you want. Be it drinking 'socially' or not drinking at all. Never let other's(especially a new BF) tell you what's best for you. He's only thinking about himself.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

What "He" thinks does not matter. It's irrelevant. And to be totally honest, he sounds like a self centered jerk. Forgive me if that's harsh, but no one who really cares for you would ever step on your desire to improve or advocate for yourself. In fact, he ought to be supporting your decision whole heartedly. Run from this person while you can.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aph79 View Post
Hi everyone,
I am in a fairly new relationship that can be quite loving and also quite volatile. Specifically, my bf becomes extremely angry if I have been drinking by myself (which is of course the way I prefer to drink now). He thinks I should be able to drink socially, and does not support me going back to AA because 1) he does not think I'm an alcoholic, 2) He believes I have control over what I do and that AA is a cop-out, and 3) this would take away from our relationship as he does not want to feel like I am white-knuckling every social event where there might be alcohol, etc.
It sounds like he met you, got involved, didn't know all about you, and filled in his knowledge gaps with his own idea of what he wants. Now here he is with an alcoholic, but now you want to quit drinking... FOR GOOD too. I assume for good, because that's what AA is all about.

He could break up, which is no fun, but if would be better for him if he could mold you into his ideal companion. Obviously, I think sobriety is one of those non-starters if being sober is what you want to be. And being who you are, knowing your own mental/physical make up, you realize if you can never go to parties with him and drink in moderation. You will be sneaking nips when he isn't looking. You realize you will drink to excess or not at all.

If you're an alcoholic, you have two alternatives to drinking, all or nothing, my opinion of course. But neither of those alternatives can satisfy him. Well, maybe one can, but he doesn't seem receptive to either one at this time, so no matter what you decide, you can never meet his demands as they are right now. He could change. You can't. You are a person of extremes. You can't move the slider from one of your extremes to somewhere in the middle. Your make up has no dimmer switch. For you, it's off or on.

This doesn't mean there is no hope. My best friend where I now live is an alcoholic sober for 20 or 30 years, married to a normie. They have an unusually good relationship. She drinks wine in moderation if they are together at dinner with someone else. This might happen once every three or four weeks. She and her girlfriend even got sloshed one time when he was gone for a couple days. But I don't think she ever drinks around him when they are alone. She is happy with him being sober, and he fine with her drinking at the level she does. It's almost like neither one is giving up anything to make things work. They are both secure in his sobriety, and they are both secure in her moderation. And nothing strikes me as unusual about them.

Last edited by DriGuy; 12-05-2018 at 07:38 AM. Reason: better wording
Old 12-05-2018, 08:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Others have given some great perspective, so I’ll just add something quick that has helped me out. I recently had someone in A.A. tell me to remember to take care of myself first and that “your sobriety is worth more than making someone else happy”. At first glance it may sound like a selfish concept, but for those of us that drink alcoholically, that decision can be the difference between life and death.

I hope you are able to find peace in whichever choice you make.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

aph
"Partner refuses to support my desire to be in AA"
okay.
he refuses to support your desire to be there... what do you see here? what do you need? what will you choose to do?
do you need him to support your desire?
do you plan to go whether he supports it or not? how important is it to be with a person who supports what is important to you? what IS important to you?

lots of questions, which you have no doubt asked yourself already.
if you want AA, and support from him for it, he has made it clear you will not have it.
that seems the bottom line.
what you do with that information is about what matters to you.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:14 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
under new management

Welcome aph79

a volatile relationship, as you describe in your OP, does not bode well for a happy future.

I hope you make the right decision for you
Old 12-05-2018, 10:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Are you willing to go to ANY lengths to get and stay sober this time? Thats one of the questions I had to answer honestly and with absolute certainty. All my tough or seemingly so decisions are easier when seen through that lense.