Notices

8 Days In: First Post: Headaches

Old 12-04-2018, 04:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

8 Days In: First Post: Headaches

This is first time I've stopped with the alcohol. It's' been 20 years and a lot of pain. The groups never did anything for me, but somehow reading a book on the subject helped me to put everything in perspective.

In general I guess things are going well, but most of the mornings have been hard with a dull headache, or aura of pain. Its not violent pain but its there and fairly distracting and/or disconcerting, like a hangover.

I found this website yesterday and have read some posts on this subject, but just wanted to post for myself and join the crowd on here.

Best to all-
Old 12-04-2018, 04:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome brooklyn1234.

I had some headaches in early days - as a matter of fact I had all kinds of aches and pains. I took tylenol and ibuprofen for the first month or so fairly frequently. Then it all settled down, and now...just peace.

So worth the initial discomfort.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Brooklyn

I had to get back into the habit of drinking water again dehydrated and that gave me headaches. I also ate & drank too much sugary stuff which could often give me a sugar 'hangover'.?

D
Old 12-04-2018, 04:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello Brooklyn
Nice to have you with us. I don't remember any specific headaches, but I sure suffered in general the first week.
Hang in there, maybe it'll go away.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I hope and expect that you will feel better soon.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I got sober, I gave up alcohol and soda at the same time. It was kind of idiotic of me, because while I was dealing with all kinds of festive physical symptoms of alcohol withdrawal, I also had debilitating headaches for about two weeks because I'd taken all the caffeine out of my system too. It never even occurred to me that I'd added that to my fun (I was also chronically dehydrated from years of alcohol abuse - not helpful either). I started drinking a little coffee in the morning right when I got to work and that made my headaches SO much better.

I still would take the two weeks of headaches over two weeks of hangovers. Waking up with a bit of a headache instead of crippling shame and remorse is a dream.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on your decision to quit drinking!! Good for you

I had headaches for a solid three months after I quit. Just goes to show how bad alcohol is for the brain. I took it as a sign of health and healing and they went away on their own after around 3 months. Hopefully yours don't take that long to ease for you though.

Welcome to SR Brooklyn. Glad you found us.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Brooklyn. I had all kinds of aches and pains for a couple months or so. Really strange symptoms, numbness , rashes, old injuries painful again, the headache you describe. Hang in there, it gets better!
Old 12-05-2018, 09:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks all for your advice and encouragement.

Its all new territory, which is exciting. I'm past the point of wanting it, though I haven't had to deal with social situations as of yet where I have to decline it. That will be the next phase.