Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

8 years lurking, every day drinker, 15 standards a day but I’m not an Alcoholic

Notices

Old 11-30-2018, 01:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
TheBlueMask

“Because”. They’re the posts I look for and love.
Hi. I’m Blue Mask.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 11-30-2018, 01:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome - Impressive! Signed up in 2012 and waited until today to make your first post.

Edited to add - so what motivated you to finally post now?
Old 11-30-2018, 01:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome....Transformer, huh? Or Coney Island..? Always get Lou's stuff mixed up.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
TheBlueMask

Originally Posted by AAPJ View Post
Welcome - Impressive! Signed up in 2012 and waited until today to make your first post.

Edited to add - so what motivated you to finally post now?
Yes and a few years reading before signing up. Why? Health, money, age and all of the above. Plus the doctor plus the writing on the wall but mostly because (like I have read numerous times) it’s not really working anymore. It’s mostly dark.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
TheBlueMask

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Welcome....Transformer, huh? Or Coney Island..? Always get Lou's stuff mixed up.
Hey. The Blue Mask is an album of itself, with many cool eye opening drinking songs. Check it out👌
Old 11-30-2018, 10:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the posting side of things

I'm not quite sure what you mean tho - are you saying you're 8 years lurking, every day drinker, 15 standards a day but I’m not an Alcoholic - or those are the posts you love..or both?

D
Old 11-30-2018, 10:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
TheBlueMask

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome to the posting side of things

I'm not quite sure what you mean tho - are you saying you're 8 years lurking, every day drinker, 15 standards a day but I’m not an Alcoholic - or those are the posts you love..or both?

D
Thanks for the reply D. I feel like I know you already. I’ve read so many posts over the years. Anyhow to cut a long story short. By the numbers I must be an Alcoholic, everyday average 15 standards for the last 15 years, previously regular binge drinker from around 15. However, I have Control. To some extent. As that I know, usually, when to stop. I’m not an alcoholic because I can stop. That and similar justifications is what I always look for and have hung into over the years. Take it easy on me mate, 😅 btw I’m 48.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL I'm pretty laid back these days... not into smacking down newcomers, Blue Mask

I went through a long period of what I saw as functional drinking too.

I'd do my work, come home and drink myself to sleep - never missed a day. never appeared worse for wear...kicked work goals...

I began to push the boat out on weekends but again, by Monday morning, I was fine, or at least appeared to be.

but the seeds were sown for the period after that when I lost control - I began to pass out rather than sleep, I began to need more alcohol to get me buzzed - I began to take Friday afternoons off to get to the beer earlier. My hangovers got worse. I started to need a heart starter in the morning....

My drinking problem was clearly progressive.

When my life changed and I had no job to sober up for (health reasons) thats when things really when down the plughole.

The control I used to be so proud of? I lost it.

I ended up that guy in the neighbourhood who stumbles down to the bottlo every day - unwashed, and uncaring,,

You might be luckier than I was and never drink more than you are now, or never suffer withdrawal more than you are now, never cross that line to having your drinking go from private to public....

but honestly? the odds are against you...and I don't think you've started posting here for nothing, yeah?

D
Old 11-30-2018, 11:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the posting side of SR!
Old 11-30-2018, 11:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
TheBlueMask

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Welcome to the posting side of SR!
Cheers. It feels liberating.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
TheBlueMask

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
LOL I'm pretty laid back these days... not into smacking down newcomers, Blue Mask

I went through a long period of what I saw as functional drinking too.

I'd do my work, come home and drink myself to sleep - never missed a day. never appeared worse for wear...kicked work goals...

I began to push the boat out on weekends but again, by Monday morning, I was fine, or at least appeared to be.

but the seeds were sown for the period after that when I lost control - I began to pass out rather than sleep, I began to need more alcohol to get me buzzed - I began to take Friday afternoons off to get to the beer earlier. My hangovers got worse. I started to need a heart starter in the morning....

My drinking problem was clearly progressive.

When my life changed and I had no job to sober up for (health reasons) thats when things really when down the plughole.

The control I used to be so proud of? I lost it.

I ended up that guy in the neighbourhood who stumbles down to the bottlo every day - unwashed, and uncaring,,

You might be luckier than I was and never drink more than you are now, or never suffer withdrawal more than you are now, never cross that line to having your drinking go from private to public....

but honestly? the odds are against you...and I don't think you've started posting here for nothing, yeah?

D
Thanks for the reply Dee. Of course I’m contemplating my drinking career and it’s outcomes. For many years I have done so. BTW your familiar with ‘the blue mask’?
Old 12-01-2018, 01:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the album, no

D
Old 12-01-2018, 04:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Blue Mask,

Like PhoenixJ I recognized Lou's face. I thought it was Transformer but I never heard of the Blue Mask album. I grew up listening to Sweet Jane and Heroin in the 70s so to me Lou was associated with the party scene.... and so was I. Not good!

I guess he matured from his youth by the time he released The Blue Mask. But since he was no longer getting much radio air play in the USA this album never crossed my radar. So I looked it up. After reading this comment from another purchaser on Amazon I think I will buy it:

"These are honest songs from the heart and paint a picture of where this talented and introspective artist was at the time. I agree with other reviewers who say "underneath the bottle" is one of the most arresting songs about alcoholism I have ever heard."

Is that song why you chose TheBlueMask as your screen name on SR?
Old 12-01-2018, 10:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
TheBlueMask

Originally Posted by AAPJ View Post
Hi Blue Mask,

Like PhoenixJ I recognized Lou's face. I thought it was Transformer but I never heard of the Blue Mask album. I grew up listening to Sweet Jane and Heroin in the 70s so to me Lou was associated with the party scene.... and so was I. Not good!

I guess he matured from his youth by the time he released The Blue Mask. But since he was no longer getting much radio air play in the USA this album never crossed my radar. So I looked it up. After reading this comment from another purchaser on Amazon I think I will buy it:

"These are honest songs from the heart and paint a picture of where this talented and introspective artist was at the time. I agree with other reviewers who say "underneath the bottle" is one of the most arresting songs about alcoholism I have ever heard."

Is that song why you chose TheBlueMask as your screen name on SR?
Hi AAPJ. The song ‘last shot’ is more of an influence. It’s a really good album. Many say one of if not his best.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
2/2016

Welcome to the posting side of SR. Does not matter what label you use. Does not matter if you call yourself an alcoholic. Is alcohol causing you problems? You say it is mostly dark, I get that and I encourage you to drop that monkey on your back and join us on the sober side of SR. It really is wonderful to be free.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Even Lou Reed sobered up. My favorite song of his has always been “New Sensations.” It has a new meaning to me now. I believe he wrote it right at the time he was coming clean. I imagine it’s about this day he had now that he’s sober and I can relate.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi BlueMask!

Just wanted to welcome you to the posting side of SR.

CF
Old 12-01-2018, 06:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to have you join us, BlueMask. Mostly dark - I can relate.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi, Blue Mask! Welcome!