Notices

Back from 21 day inpatient rehab

Old 11-29-2018, 08:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back from 21 day inpatient rehab

So 30 days sober and then a week long binge. That was it. Checked into a 21 day rehab called South Pacific Clinic in Sydney SPP for short.
No Tv, music, no emails or phone access. Place was full, 54 patients with various addictions from sex, food, sugar, cocaine, alcohol, all various forms of other drugs. All ages from 18-80.. We all went through tough lectures but also learnt breathing techniques, meditation and yoga. Daily beach walks also included.

Jeez, I learnt so much about addiction and NA and AA. Attended my first meetings for both. Loved it so comforting to know you are not alone with this disease. 12 steps are now part of my recovery for sure. I have completed step 1. Tomorrow morning I am doing a meeting, my first alone, near my home and have decided to do 90 meetings 90 days sober.
Removing the bottle is not the answer. I may be out of rehab but it is now the tough job that starts. I am happy to answer any questions you may have had about thinking about going to rehab and what its like.

Day 21 sober today.. Loving it..
Old 11-29-2018, 09:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

WELL DONE SM! A very good beginning. The importance of keep the ball rolling with your recovery is doing stuff every day to keep it up.
Support to you.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wondered how you were going Sydneyman - sounds like the answer is good

D
Old 11-29-2018, 09:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good on ya!
Yes, now the tough part starts. I think 90 I 90 is a great idea.
I'm sure I can't tell you anything you didn't learn, but it's great to have you back. Fit and inspiring.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done Sydneyman.
I wondered where you had gone, we were in the October/November class together.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Congrats. Sounds like you're doing well!

Great that you have a recovery plan. For those who like 12 Step 90 in 90 is a brilliant plan.

I was just in Sydney, I miss it. Good place to get sober. And the facility where you went looks top-notch.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Loved reading this
Old 11-30-2018, 11:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes Lots of other gays in rehab which made it more easier to blend in. The facility was TOP NOTCH in a beautiful setting and luckily covered by health insurance otherwise close to AUD$ 22,000 for the stay... Sydney is great and |I don't want to numb myself senseless and sit on the couch and be drunk and waste it away. On my way to first meeting in 10minutes, A tad nervous.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm glad that you went and had a good experience. Plus, it's great that your insurance covered it. Daily walks on the beach sound nice and relaxing. But more importantly, you took a bold move by checking yourself in and putting in the work.

Good luck with your first meeting. Let us know how it goes if you don't mind!
Old 11-30-2018, 12:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by sydneyman View Post
Yes Lots of other gays in rehab which made it more easier to blend in. The facility was TOP NOTCH in a beautiful setting and luckily covered by health insurance otherwise close to AUD$ 22,000 for the stay... Sydney is great and I don't want to numb myself senseless and sit on the couch and be drunk and waste it away. On my way to first meeting in 10minutes, A tad nervous.
Nice.

I was one of two gay people in my rehab and the other (female) left shortly after I got there. If there were any others they weren't out.

The lockout laws seem to have quieted down the drinking and partying in Sydney on this last trip since I was last there in 2012 (I was still drinking then). I didn't really like Oxford Street, much prefer Newtown and the Inner West, plus my Aussie Bestie lives in Stanmore.

Glad you are doing so well. I really needed an inpatient stint to fully put drinking and drugging behind me. Hopefully there are good LGBT AA meetings near you.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Support sent your way from another
member we also began recovery in a
28 instay rehab treatment center some
28 yrs ago. Once I was given a program
of recovery to incorporate in my everyday
life on a continuous bases I ended my addiction
and began my sober journey one day at
a time moving forward to achieve many
amazing gifts in life and sobriety.

Hold on tight to your recovery lifelines
and never let go of them.

Congrats on taking those first few steps
in setting you on your sober path in life
you will forever be grateful for.

With Willingness, Openmindedness and
Honesty you have so much to achieve.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made the choice to enter the rehab and it's great that it was such a positive experience for you.

You're right, the hard work is now, but we're here to support you and we do understand how hard this is.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope it went well sydneyman

D
Old 11-30-2018, 06:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so happy for you, Sydneyman. It takes courage & strength to commit to rehab. Let us know how the meeting went.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sounds like rehab was a great experience for you, and you left with a solid plan. That's fantastic news. How was your meeting today?
Old 12-01-2018, 07:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Loved the 2 meetings yesterday. Went to a NA meeting this Sunday morning followed by coffee with 7 members of the NA group. This was the best fellowship so far. Tomorrow I am going to my first mon-fri 7 am meeting before work. timing wise works out perfect. On combination of daily Naltrexone and Campral and have NIL desire/cravings for booze.
So I am following the aftercare plan to a T and it helps. Anybody contemplating AA/NA and are scared of the "god" part of it don't even think its like that. My higher power today was the meeting and the ocean.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

awesome stuff sydneyman

D
Old 12-02-2018, 07:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sydneyman View Post
Loved the 2 meetings yesterday. Went to a NA meeting this Sunday morning followed by coffee with 7 members of the NA group. This was the best fellowship so far. Tomorrow I am going to my first mon-fri 7 am meeting before work. timing wise works out perfect. On combination of daily Naltrexone and Campral and have NIL desire/cravings for booze.
So I am following the aftercare plan to a T and it helps. Anybody contemplating AA/NA and are scared of the "god" part of it don't even think its like that. My higher power today was the meeting and the ocean.
The ocean is one of my favorite places to destress, there is something about the waves crashing that is calming.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yay...Joined the NA homegroup I visited the first time at 7 am this morning. Its a just for today group and the quote for the day is read we share re the quote. It was fantastic. Again it is so empowering to know I am not alone with this and have SO MUCH support and NEW sober friends. I didn't realize life could be so full without using/drinking. It is such a new beginning and so different this time. I truly was a dry drunk before, no doubt at all. Rehab has changed it all. It has made me realise why I drank/used and that it is possible to recover. No cure but I can live in recovery and lead a normal life. Exhausting day as first day back at work today after having a month away. There was a big Welcome back sign done for me and it was a teary reunion with my work colleagues. They think I have been in treatment for depression and anxiety but I will let it stay that way for now. I am so open about my real reason for rehab so need to watch my mouth,,,Hope you are all ravelling well today.