Notices

Hi

Old 11-25-2018, 01:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi

I've struggled with alcohol for the last decade. I want to make a change, and I'm just not sure where to start. I've tried so many things in the past (tapering, cold turkey, Sinclair method etc.), so I'm not feeling incredibly hopeful or optimistic. My last day without any alcohol was probably over 2 months ago. I only drink beer for the most part, around 5 on weeknights and even more excessive on weekends.

I'm 28 years old, and I feel like I've wasted my 20s. The thought of tonight scares me. I'm just not feeling much hope.

I just need support, tips, advice, and guidance.

Thanks for reading.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jasper and Welcome!

Know for sure that you can live a sober life, as many of us here do.

Find whatever works for you and make a plan for recovery and stick with it. And, I hope that you keep posting and reading here at SR for support.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello Jasper, and welcome.

You're very wise to realize you may have a problem now.
I drank heavily all through my twenties and never thought I had a problem, even though, I wouldn't go more than a couple days without drinking.

At that age, I thought I was bullet proof. It would take me another fifteen years to really come to the realization that I had a problem.
So good for you for taking action now, while you're still young.

You've got your whole life in front of you. You can do it without drinking. Have you tried AA?
It certainly helped me when I finally was deep into alcoholism in my forties.
See? That's how long it took me to realize I had a problem.

Save yourself some misery. Alcoholism, if unchecked, only gets worse as time goes on.
At the end I was drinking a lot every day. I couldn't stop without help and AA helped. So did coming here.
I haven't had a drink now for almost ten years. And at the end, I was a bad drunk. Drinking at 8am. Whiskey then beer.

Best to you, my friend. You've found a good place for support.
You say you haven't drank in awhile, so you're already off to a good start. And remember, you never have to drink again.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Tonight is just a night. You can get through this night w/o drinking and this night will pass. Think of tomorrow and how happy you will feel for staying the course today. Be good to yourself and give yourself the gift of being sober today. Stick close to SR for support. Tonight is just a night. You can do this!
Old 11-25-2018, 02:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome, Jasper! This is a great place for encouragement as you get sober.
I drank 30 yrs. - would give anything to get those precious decades back. You're giving yourself a wonderful gift.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcoem Jasper

I wasn't very confident either - but not ingesting any more of the poison, no matter what - had worked out great for me.

Support helps - as does a willingness to change your life to reflect your desire to be sober.

I changed a lot of things - how I solved problems, what I did for stress, how I had fun and with whom - but not for the worse

D
Old 11-25-2018, 06:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks

I appreciate the responses. I'm trying to make tonight the first of many. This is the time I would ordinarily be drinking, but I'm not right now. I'm definitely experiencing some anxiety. I'm just trying to surf the urges.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I just read your post JasperD...I am 32. And all my 20’s I’ve been an alcoholic...I brought it into my 30’s even though I told my self I wouldn’t...I’ve tried quiting alcohol a few times but it doesn’t work until you decide that that last drink will be your last....I’m 2 weeks sober tomorrow...small amount of time but we as people have to put it together day after day for sobriety....it’s worth it to not be in that bad space that we have all experienced....stay strong!! sobriety is a better life!!
Old 11-25-2018, 07:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Jasper. Believe in yourself. You can do this. You need to commit to never drinking again no matter what. Sobriety is such a better life. Life will always have its ups and downs with or without drinking. But handling problems sober is so much more productive. And being happy sober- you will feel it more intensely and you won’t forget these moments because you are sober.

Just have a plan ready and visualize it in action for events that may create anxiety.

Also, have a long term plan for sobriety. We are never cured of alcoholism. Recovery is a lifetime journey. SR is a great support forum. I come here every day and feel inspired. I did therapy for a while too. I sill do yoga and meditation. Some also do AA or other groups. Find a path that works for you.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You are in great shape Jasper. Your 30's and 40's are amazing decades of your life. You are giving yourself such a gift planning on spending those years sober. I was drunk for both decades and would give anything to be 28 with your wisdom. You are so young and thankfully very smart. Your best decades are ahead of you.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I made it through the night, guys. I got my first sober night in months under my belt. Let's see what Monday has in store. I'm feeling a little more hope after a small victory.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great Job!!

Good work Jasper! Keep it up, come back later today and check back in, let us know how your are doing. Make Day 2 a great one!

-Otter
Old 11-26-2018, 04:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Just take it a day at a time, make a promise to yourself that you will not drink today, just for today. It is much easier if you don't look further than one day at a time. If you struggle, ask for help here, before you drink and someone will always help you, that saved my sobriety in the early days.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks. I've never been one to drink early in the day. The urge usually comes hardest between 7:00 and 9:30 pm on weekdays. Right now, I'm okay. It amazes me how awful you can feel waking up after drinking and swearing not to do it again and how your mind slowly morphs throughout the day to make you feel like a completely different person after dinner that tries to rationalize doing it all over again.

We are not always our thoughts, guys. Our brain tells us that our thoughts are facts, but thoughts can also be fantasy/fiction if the brain thinks it'll get what it wants out of the deal (usually a flood of dopamine).
Old 11-26-2018, 01:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Right now there's a brainache (not a headache if that makes sense), a sense of dizziness, increased heart rate, and an urge to vomit. Withdrawal or could I be sick? I know this isn't a place for medical advice, just wondering if these are fairly typical symptoms.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

JasperD you should go to an urgent care center or an ER if there is one available to you. Who knows what is going on? Could be the beginning of DT's which is nothing to mess around with. Don't drink my friend. All that will solve is having to climb this hill another day. Do it now.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sounds like typical withdrawal symptoms to me, but if you start feeling worse, get medical help.
Old 11-26-2018, 02:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I had those symptoms too, Jasper. Everything settled down after a few days - but if you're unsure please get checked out. We're proud of you!
Old 11-26-2018, 02:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I forgot to mention a tried and true method to strengthen your recovery. It's practicing gratitude every day. It focuses on the positive and can also make you happier.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0