Notices

Weekender Thread 09-12 November 2018

Old 11-09-2018, 12:56 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Ugh, just got back from the dentist. All is well, but an hour spent tensed up in that chair sure left me feeling less than relaxed. And I’ve been cooped up today because the weather is crap.

I would normally be sneaking drinks by now, for sure, but of course I dont have any of my wine around, so I’m good for now. My husband is off at the store, and I told him not to buy my wine because I’m back into my diet. He said cool and said that since I’m watching what I eat I can pick the restaurant tonight.

Anyway, Friday Me really wants a drink. Really, really, really wants a drink. But Monday Me will be happier if I skip it. Also, I’m tired of waking up at 2:00 am, feeling guilty and ashamed and unable to get back to sleep. That will definitely happen if I drink tonight. God, I hate waking up like that.

About an hour ago, I was almost certain that I would drink tonight, but I had already said I wasn’t going to, so I’m rambling about it here.

Sigh. And it’s not even 3:00. Diet Coke — that’s what I need right now.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:01 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Sometimes writing it down in print for public consumption here is just the extra step you need to keep you on the straight and narrow.

Enjoy a quality healthy meal tonight!
Old 11-09-2018, 01:06 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Welcome BB.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:15 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Bonnie, the feelings will pass. That edgy, angsty feeling goes away after some continuous sober time.

I had to stop thinking of alcohol as some kind of magical treat and I had to remember the soul-sucking misery it had given me.

Talking about dentists, my teeth and mouth health have improved so much since I stopped drinking. It's pretty surprising, honestly. My hygienist even comments on the change, and she didn't even know I had stopped drinking.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:19 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

So, yesterday I spent nearly three hours at the beach.

Why you ask? There was a humpback whale who also spent the whole day there, diving, surfacing, cruising along the top, blowing its spout of water. Pretty magical. I've been going to the same beach for 30 years and I've never seen anything like it. The beach "Regulars" were all standing right at the water's edge trying to get pictures and just talking about how great it was. So wonderful. That big tail fluke!
Old 11-09-2018, 01:25 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
So, yesterday I spent nearly three hours at the beach.

Why you ask? There was a humpback whale who also spent the whole day there, diving, surfacing, cruising along the top, blowing its spout of water. Pretty magical. I've been going to the same beach for 30 years and I've never seen anything like it. The beach "Regulars" were all standing right at the water's edge trying to get pictures and just talking about how great it was. So wonderful. That big tail fluke!
That is so cool, BB! I would love to see something like that. I went on a whale watching tour in Nova Scotia once but didn’t see anything. It was still fun though.

It’s interesting what you said in the previous post about dental health. That’s good to know! I definitely want to take better care of myself in every way. I am just a couple of years away from turning 50, and I want to be in tip-top heath when I reach that milestone.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:28 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Sometimes writing it down in print for public consumption here is just the extra step you need to keep you on the straight and narrow.

Enjoy a quality healthy meal tonight!
Yes, I think you’re right; I seem to be feeling a bit more sure of things. Pretty shaky, but a bit better.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:28 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bonniefloyd View Post

Anyway, Friday Me really wants a drink. Really, really, really wants a drink. But Monday Me will be happier if I skip it. Also, I’m tired of waking up at 2:00 am, feeling guilty and ashamed and unable to get back to sleep. That will definitely happen if I drink tonight. God, I hate waking up like that.
This has been me for too many weekends, and I get this in spades. For many years I could abstain during the week so I could save it all for weekend warrior mode. And holy hell did I pay for it on Mondays with little sleep and wanting the earth to swallow me whole. Of course this progressed to no abstinence at all during the week, yet I'd still binge all weekend.

So this will be my first sober weekend in awhile. I know the first couple of weekends can be especially anxiety-filled and a challenge, but I have about 4 million leaves in my yard that I can pick up one-by-one if needed. I hit a week AF tomorrow and age up a year Sunday so I've got some motivation to do this. No turning back, no more Day 1's left in my tank.

Great vibes on this thread! Have a great weekend everyone.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:35 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chaisson View Post
This has been me for too many weekends, and I get this in spades. For many years I could abstain during the week so I could save it all for weekend warrior mode. And holy hell did I pay for it on Mondays with little sleep and wanting the earth to swallow me whole. Of course this progressed to no abstinence at all during the week, yet I'd still binge all weekend.

So this will be my first sober weekend in awhile. I know the first couple of weekends can be especially anxiety-filled and a challenge, but I have about 4 million leaves in my yard that I can pick up one-by-one if needed. I hit a week AF tomorrow and age up a year Sunday so I've got some motivation to do this. No turning back, no more Day 1's left in my tank.

Great vibes on this thread! Have a great weekend everyone.
Aging up is good motivation. Looks like you’re ready for the weekend. You’ve got this!
Old 11-09-2018, 01:46 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bonniefloyd View Post

Anyway, Friday Me really wants a drink. Really, really, really wants a drink. But Monday Me will be happier if I skip it...
This reminds me so much of a science fiction short story, The Star Diaries - The Seventh Voyage, by Stanisław Lem, "in which a spaceship defect forces the hero through a series of time vortices, creating a multitude of temporal copies of himself."

It's one of the funniest things I've read and contains the memorable words

a man who for an entire week does nothing but hit himself over the head has little reason to be proud.

The text of the short story can be read online

I hope you're feeling settled again after the dentist appointment - I've had two this week and I know that tensed-in-the-chair feeling.
Nice when it stops.

Happy weekend, folks
Old 11-09-2018, 01:48 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Have a good and healthy birthday weekend, Chaisson!
Old 11-09-2018, 02:33 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Getting ready to go to my sons final football game of high school. His very last one as he is a senior. The reality of him leaving home is really settling in. It has be all twisted and confused emotionally. I'm happy for him and the next chapter of his life but it's just a dull sadness in my gutt and my heart knowing that this chapter of 'my' life is close to over. Who will I be now? Will I stay a sober person? Will the loneliness and sadness lead me to the drink? Random thoughts as I ponder my long term future. He is home until at least August so my plan is to live a happy healthy sober life while I still have him home, and hopefully my desire of the drink will be murdered forever as I hope to attain that level where you wouldn't jeopardize that sober life for anything.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:39 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy birthday Chaisson and welcome Bossybutt
I know it must be an emotional time for you Joy - but don't let your AV ruin the time you have left - you can absolutely say sober no matter what - and I have every confidence you will

enjoy the game

D
Old 11-09-2018, 02:40 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hi all, I’ll be here all weekend. I’m thinking it’s going to be Netflix and popcorn kinda weekend, naps, try to get out and exercise.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:49 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joy57 View Post
Getting ready to go to my sons final football game of high school. His very last one as he is a senior. The reality of him leaving home is really settling in. It has be all twisted and confused emotionally. I'm happy for him and the next chapter of his life but it's just a dull sadness in my gutt and my heart knowing that this chapter of 'my' life is close to over. Who will I be now? Will I stay a sober person? Will the loneliness and sadness lead me to the drink? Random thoughts as I ponder my long term future. He is home until at least August so my plan is to live a happy healthy sober life while I still have him home, and hopefully my desire of the drink will be murdered forever as I hope to attain that level where you wouldn't jeopardize that sober life for anything.
I know it’s hard, I have a kid the same age. But it’s a new chapter for us too. It can be awesome, if we make it awesome. :-) Enjoy the game.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:21 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I just got back from my one hour 4 mile hike/walk. I live on a multi-use trail that connects to a wooded park with a river and it's a nice walk. I had my stick to fend off that bobcat.

Welcome to the thread, Chaisson and Happy Pre-Birthday! Special food or other plans? at the pick-up-the-leaves idea. That sounds like me when I'm trying to distract myself from thinking too much. Laundry? Well, I'll carry each piece to the bed individually to fold. Put them away one pair of socks at a time.

Whatever it takes!!
Old 11-09-2018, 03:41 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Happy to be home from work. Got all evening to m'self. Great to see all the people joining up.

If I follow Bonniefloyd's naming convention, I'd be PrescillaBean, lol.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:51 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I'd be Otto Clearbrook!

(BTW, I'm a girl)
Old 11-09-2018, 04:51 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Lol, STDragon and Gilmer — those are great names!

Well I made it through dinner. It helps that we ate out early. I have to admit, I was tempted. They have good champagne at this restaurant, and it was happy hour. I mean, I knew I wasn’t going to have any, but I sure did want to. So all I have to do now is change into my comfy pants and watch a little tv. Then that’s day 2 done.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:58 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Got back from an all women’s meeting tonight and just microwaved some BS for dinner cuz I didn’t feel like cooking. But going to a meeting in the evening especially Friday was good to take my mind off drinking. Now I’m just watching old wrestling PPVs before bed with my kitty. Seeing all these super jacked men and women do these insane stunts is the last thing I would have guessed to help me stay sober but somehow it does. Makes me wanna stay sober so all my time at the gym actually pays off I guess? (I’ll never be as buff as them but it’s fun to pretend) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ whatever works I guess.

Everyone’s plans sound great for this weekend. Joy, I’m for sure closer to your son’s age, but I know my mom missed us a lot when we all moved out but found a bunch of other stuff she loved to do once she had the freedom and ability to. ....I still call my mom at least once a week so maybe it’s like I never left! Haha. As Dee said, enjoy this year with him sober. The memories you both have will be worth it.

Bonnie, congrats on crushing that temptation! Tomorrow is gonna feel so good. Keep the momentum rolling.

Happy birthday Chaisson!

Tomorrow is my my two week sober-versary! Have a wonderful night everyone and see you tomorrow!