Notices

Wow!!!!

Old 09-21-2018, 10:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wow!!!!

Had cataract surgery yesterday. What a difference!!!! Everything seems so clear. I guess this is what people see that have no vision problems. Amazing. Got an appointment next week to deal with my right eye for whether I want surgery that can pretty much eliminate glasses or not. Any thoughts on this? The idea of waking up each morning and not having to deal \with contacts or glasses is very tempting but very expensive.
Sorry if this post offends people dealing with drinking like I am but this is so amazing I had to share it.
The only downside of this was that I was in the waiting room alone, while others had family or friends with them, They had people to take them home while I had to call a taxi. Having surgery alone is a bummer. John
Old 09-21-2018, 10:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad it went well.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad in went well, John.

I think I will be doing the same thing next year.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm glad it went well! Congrats on the new, clearer sight. I had lasik about 20 years ago and I felt like a new woman when I came home so I know you must feel amazing seeing clearly for the first time in a while.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I’ve heard of people having cataract and vision correction surgery, and most have seemed very happy with the results.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Delighted it went well John. I don't have any experience with eye surgery but if you got such great results this time it must be tempting to get the other eye done?
As to going home alone.....yes, I can see how it is lonely. Might be worth trying to get out this weekend and connect with others?
Old 09-21-2018, 12:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so glad for you, John! I'll be doing it too at some point - thanks for the encouragement.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think it’s great to celebrate clear vision! Congrats!!
Old 09-21-2018, 04:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yinzer View Post
I’ve heard of people having cataract and vision correction surgery, and most have seemed very happy with the results.
Someday, I need to do that. I have an astigmatism in my left eye, wonder if surgery could fix that. I notice it a lot less when I am sober.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
I'm so glad for you, John! I'll be doing it too at some point - thanks for the encouragement.
Cant belive the difference. It is amazing. Every thing is so clear. You got to do this. Sounds silly, but I guess my vision is what most people have. I have been wearing glasses since I was a kid. Can't believe this is possible. I'm watching TV now and it is so clear. It is almost like seeing things for the first time. Can't wait to get my right eye done so I have clear vision fixed for near vision but even that is better now. No glasses or contacts is a miracle. It like getting a new lease on life. Gotta do this. John
Old 09-21-2018, 04:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you're pleased John

D
Old 09-21-2018, 04:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

John

I had laser surgery on my left eye and some type of PK procedure on my right eye because I had accidentally taken off a third of my cornea a couple years before then .

That was two years ago and I’m Utterly amazed that I can see the leaves and the moon and the stars and my alarm clock and my cell phone and a computer screen from across the room!

I am older, and I was told I would need to wear reading glasses . And I do wear reading glasses and I find that I lose them and I go to the dollar store and I have about 10 pairs in my house . I have them on reading your story right now .

I’m 56 years old and after being blind ( in my mind) most of my life up until two years ago, I am so incredibly grateful that I can just put a pair of sunglasses on like normal people, or open up my eyes after surfacing in the pool and being able to see other people .

Best money I ever spent

I wish you confidence in your decision for your health.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It is amazing, isn't it? I wish my right eye would develop a cataract so I could throw my glasses away! Congratulations!
Old 09-21-2018, 05:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Glad you're pleased John

D
Thanks Dee. Did not know what to expect. Got put in a hospital gown with all these people around me doing stuff. Hooked up to a heart monitor and blood pressure. Felt like I was going into a serious medical procedure. God forbid I would have to deal with a real problem. Most people there had somebody with them. Felt really alone. The people at the front desk were surprised I had nobody with me to help me through this and drive me home. Had to have a taxi drive me to and from the place. They weren't to happy with this. Had to leave my car there overnight and get a cab to drive me back the next day. Felt kinda strange since everybody had somebody to help them but me. Makes me wonder what I will do when I will have a serious problem. People talk here all the time about their relationship problems and I really do feel for them. But maybe they should think about who would be there if they really need them. Being alone in a hospital isn't fun. In fact, it's scary. John
Old 09-21-2018, 05:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry John, I know it can be rough.

The other side to that noone there to pick you up thing is I actually prefer it that way.

I hate to be a burden on my loved ones.

I love my independence.

D
Old 09-21-2018, 05:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm sorry John, I know it can be rough.

The other side to that noone there to pick you up thing is I actually prefer it that way.

I hate to be a burden on my loved ones.

I love my independence.

D
Dee, I love my independence also. In fact, I take pride in being able to take care of myself with no help. Been that way since I was a kid. But sometimes it helps to have someone to help me help when I need it, especially when I get older. What do you do when you are in a situation like what I went through and have nobody to help? John
Old 09-21-2018, 06:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was alone for my two cataract surgeries and took taxis to and from both surgeries. I kind of like being on my own. I remember getting a coffee and muffin after the surgery. I remember the doctor telling me I was good for the surgery and didn't move.

I knew you'd like the results. It is amazing surgery to correct our vision so well.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

John, kinda surprised that the fact you did not have a driver/helper wasn’t addressed earlier in the process.
When I had cataract surgery last year, that was a question asked while scheduling.
Not blaming you, and I certainly sympathize with your being alone for the procedure.
Anyway, now that you know what to expect, do you have a friend who can help you next time?
So glad you are happy with results.
I opted for corrective lenses, which are not covered by insurance.
Worth it, though, as I now only wear glasses for driving at night, which I rarely do anyway.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Also, John, I don’t know your age, or where you live, but your local senior center may have some volunteer drivers who take people to their appointments.
They might be able to help.
We really do need help as we get older.
My mom has a lovely person who comes in to clean and make sure she is okay.
I really wish she would get a life alert necklace as she is prone to falling, but she is dead set against it.
She doesn’t live by herself. My sib lives with her, but as he is alcohol addicted —Hello, Sober Recovery forum. Nice to meet you.—he is not always helpful.
Good luck.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

So happy for you! Dealing with physical problems sober is a gift, even when they are scary or un fun. I know I wouldn't have been able to even have a back injury in the spring I felt I hadn't gotten sober (I'd have been dead based on dr prediction that I had a year to 18 mo if I kept drinking) nor able to be r covering from it!

Take care and keep being grateful you are able to heal!