Notices

Wow!!!!

Old 09-22-2018, 04:39 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
John, kinda surprised that the fact you did not have a driver/helper wasn’t addressed earlier in the process.
When I had cataract surgery last year, that was a question asked while scheduling.
Not blaming you, and I certainly sympathize with your being alone for the procedure.
Anyway, now that you know what to expect, do you have a friend who can help you next time?
So glad you are happy with results.
I opted for corrective lenses, which are not covered by insurance.
Worth it, though, as I now only wear glasses for driving at night, which I rarely do anyway.
Actually, the fact that I did not have anybody to drive me was addressed in the building where the doctor's office is. They knew I would have to have a taxi drive me. It was in another building where the actual surgery took place that the people there that were unaware of this.
No, I will not have anybody to drive me the next time when I get surgery on my other eye. But I'm fine with that. John
Old 09-22-2018, 04:46 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DarklingSong View Post
Delighted it went well John. I don't have any experience with eye surgery but if you got such great results this time it must be tempting to get the other eye done?
As to going home alone.....yes, I can see how it is lonely. Might be worth trying to get out this weekend and connect with others?
The doctor told me that it would be best to rest this weekend. Besides, I gotta take eye drops several times a day so it makes sense just to stay home this weekend. John
Old 09-22-2018, 06:27 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

This fairly minor situation was a wake up call if and when I will need any major medical help in the future. I pride myself in being very independent and capable of taking care of myself with no help, but there might be a time when I will have to rely on others for help. Just the reality of getting older. I guess I could move into a retirement community that provides services for senior citizens, but I don't feel I need that right now. I think there are agencies in my area that provide services to senior citizens. Now might be the time to look into them. John
Old 09-22-2018, 06:50 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Nice to hear you’re ‘looking ‘after yourself.
Congrats on the success of the treatment
Old 09-22-2018, 08:44 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Awesome! Glad to hear that turned out good for you!

My dad is 82 and just went through cataract surgery, he had a speedy recovery and couldn't be happier about his vision.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:48 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

That’s a good idea. Check with your local Council on Aging, and there are likely senior resource agencies.
My mother’s town has subsidized housing for the elderly, but there is a waiting list. If that is the way you eventually want to go, best to look into it sooner rather than later.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:04 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
That’s a good idea. Check with your local Council on Aging, and there are likely senior resource agencies.
My mother’s town has subsidized housing for the elderly, but there is a waiting list. If that is the way you eventually want to go, best to look into it sooner rather than later.
I have looked into housing for people 55+ that have income restrictions, which I'm slightly above, but I could fix that be have a little more taken out for taxes. Your right, the waiting list for these places are long. Might be wise to get my name on some of those lists. Have a good one. John