Notices

new: on day one

Old 08-13-2018, 10:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new: on day one

Hi, so I'm new here. Looking for some help, people who understand. Here's my situation in a nut shell.

I am a teacher, and slowly, over the years, the evening glass of wine has turned into a bit more than a bottle. I have stopped drinking over the years, once even for little over a year (but I was taking a sleep aid), but I always slide back into it. I have a great job, two wonderful kids, and a wife whom I love very much. But this alcohol--it is so dang hard to stop. It seems to get worse as I get older.

This summer, I told myself, this is it: I have three months to really work on this. However, I spent the whole summer saying, "I'll start tomorrow." Now, I have meetings next week, and classes start two weeks from today.

I need to come clean to someone, and here I am. I have been saying it for so long, guys, I'm not drinking tonight. I have adjusted my evening routine. I'm sure sleep will be a bit of a challenge, but, I'm committing.

One of the challenges I face is that we live in a beach community where people come to vacation. Alcohol is everywhere. I walk out my door and people are on their way to the beach with their drinks. I go to the store and people are stocking their coolers. Lots of bars. I do not go to bars, but they are part of our landscape.

I want to use this site and you guys for some accountability, so I plan on posting how things are going, and possibly even asking for advice or support.

Thanks for reading.

Carl M
Old 08-13-2018, 10:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, Carl! There is a wealth of knowledge and experience on this site, as well as healthy dose of hope

I certainly understand your situation. Alcoholism is a progressive disease, so I'm not surprised to hear that your glass of wine progressed into an entire bottle. I used to only drink on the weekends, never drink alone etc... somehow it became like a runaway train, and I found myself self-medicating my shame for drinking with more drinking. I too went months without a drop, but would always end up finding an excuse, with the exact same result almost every time (blacking out, multiple-day binges).

I encourage you to use this site to assist you in developing a program of recovery. Living in a vacation area has got to be challenging for someone who is trying to remain sober, but remember -- wherever there is alcohol, there are people working toward sobriety with a program. Whatever that looks like for you (AA, SMART Recovery, NAMI, one-on-one therapy, etc), I think the best way in the beginning is to get connected with others in your area who are working a program, if you haven't already. You will be truly astonished at the amount of support people are willing to give out freely and willingly. That's kind of the magical aspect of AA. They say you have to give it away to keep it, and I believe that is absolutely true.

I wish you the best in your journey!
Old 08-13-2018, 10:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Carl,

I'm glad you found us and that you have decided to stop drinking. Do you have a plan in place for stopping and beginning recovery? It's always a good idea to have a plan to help you.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by CarlMagnitude View Post
One of the challenges I face is that we live in a beach community where people come to vacation. Alcohol is everywhere.
It doesn't matter where we live. Alcohol is everywhere: For sale, marketed, being consumed. It may feel challenging, but doesn't have impact your recovery.

The biggest challenge to your recovery lies between your two ears.

Read up on Rational Recovery and Addictive Voice Recognition Techniques (AVRT).
Old 08-13-2018, 10:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Carl. Check out and join some threads. Support to you.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Carl. Everyone's sobriety started with their first day, its up to you from there. Lean on this site for support, lots of great people.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Carl,

I always had a plan to stop drinking after the next weekend/holiday. Then I planned to stop after the Super Bowl, summer, New Year's, etc. Here I am 74 days sober and not really missing booze. I am being honest with myself. I joined AA, listened to their suggestions and kept an open mind. I am not a religious person at all, but the program seems to be working. I could never stop by myself in the past 30 years. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome. I appreciate it. I am focusing on tomorrow--how I want to feel in the morning. And I am anticipating the arrival of my addictive voice (thanks for the AVRT tip). It really is a beast. I need to work on differentiating between this voice and me, my actual voice that knows what I need to do, what I need to avoid.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Carl - I was a tomorrow guy too but this community helped me get and stay sober.

Its good to have you join us. Post often - especially if you're struggling
Old 08-13-2018, 08:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Carl!
Old 08-13-2018, 08:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad you have joined. You will find a lot of folks started out the way you did and found their drinking progressed - often to the point of health or other negative consequences. This is such a supportive group! I live in a world renowned wine region and vacation spot, so I get it about alcohol being everywhere. I never thought it was possible, but I’ve learned to enjoy wine tasting without the tasting. I look at it like I’m tasting the beauty now ��.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome, Carl. You deserve a life free from alcohol, and it is yours for the taking. We're here to support you.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi, so I'm new here. Looking for some help, people who understand. Here's my situation in a nut shell.

I am a teacher, and slowly, over the years, the evening glass of wine has turned into a bit more than a bottle. I have stopped drinking over the years, once even for little over a year (but I was taking a sleep aid), but I always slide back into it. I have a great job, two wonderful kids, and a wife whom I love very much. But this alcohol--it is so dang hard to stop. It seems to get worse as I get older.

This summer, I told myself, this is it: I have three months to really work on this. However, I spent the whole summer saying, "I'll start tomorrow." Now, I have meetings next week, and classes start two weeks from today.

I need to come clean to someone, and here I am. I have been saying it for so long, guys, I'm not drinking tonight. I have adjusted my evening routine. I'm sure sleep will be a bit of a challenge, but, I'm committing.

One of the challenges I face is that we live in a beach community where people come to vacation. Alcohol is everywhere. I walk out my door and people are on their way to the beach with their drinks. I go to the store and people are stocking their coolers. Lots of bars. I do not go to bars, but they are part of our landscape.

I want to use this site and you guys for some accountability, so I plan on posting how things are going, and possibly even asking for advice or support.

Thanks for reading.

Carl M
I know what you’re going through. I’ve been trying to quit since January. Each new quit day passes and I set a new one. I feel like a failure but I’m not giving up. Neither should you. Don’t ever give up on yourself.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I need to come clean to someone, and here I am.

Carl M
Hey Carl! Congrats on committing to sobriety! You won't regret it. I mean, really, what are you missing?

You aren't alone. What you described is copy paste stuff for a ton of us. Me for sure. Procrastinating the quit... etc..

This line I quoted from your post really caught my eye. The almost immediate relief I felt when I finally came out of denial and started facing it was and is huge for me.

Start by coming clean to yourself. Seriously. Just be honest with yourself. SR is a great vehicle to do that too. If you can find some relief in leaving behind all the nasty effects that's a huge bonus. But just come clean to yourself. Look at the effects it's having/ had in your life. See it for what it is. You aren't a monster. We've all been there. Owning it is courage. We are not defined by our past and there's a lot of good living left to do.

Stick around, lots of resources here to educate yourself. Knowledge is power.

Commit though. Go all in. I promise you won't regret it.

Best to you-

B
Old 08-14-2018, 05:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Carl - I'm glad you joined us - you are never alone. Someone's always around, 24/7.

You're very wise to take action now. I started out with just a drink in the evenings, too. Over the years I became dependent on it - ended up drinking every single day. It was always in my system and I wasn't able to function. We never think it'll happen to us. I'm so glad you came here for encouragement. You can do it.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It must particularly awful to have to teach a classroom of students with a hangover. Also, stopping over a 3 month summer break in a vacation place, would be a tall order.

It sounds like you have a better opportunity to stop now, with the new school year starting.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going carl?
Old 08-15-2018, 09:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
not a greeter

H

Carl M
How's it going so far today Carl ?