Notices

A&E Intervention

Old 08-05-2018, 08:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A&E Intervention

I’ve been watching A&E intervention. I’ve been really moved watching it, really heart breaking but mostly there’s hope at the end. I always thought an intervention wouldn’t work but a medical intervention worked for my sister. Circumstances were different for me but I think watching the programme an intervention would have worked if I’d got worse.
Is any one on here sober due to an intervention and what are your thoughts? The programmes success rate of long term sobriety is between 55%and 71% which is very good.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When I got sober for the first time, I was obsessed with this show and would go back to it regularly for motivation and reminder. It was a very valuable tool for me.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ah, this show is still hard for me to watch!! There was an episode with a spiraling alcoholic girl that really hit home for me. She came from a decent family who had cut her off financially in an attempt to stop her drinking, so she resorted to selling her "services" occasionally to get booze money. It was hard to watch because she had many of the habits I also had while active in alcoholism, like hiding bottles in an around the house and zealously denying having drank anything when I clearly had.

I myself didn't undergo an intervention, but after entering recovery family and friends told me that they had been planning one. I think it would've been really overwhelming to see everyone in one place like that, realizing that despite my best efforts everyone knew what I was doing... I think that's what some people need.

I think it's a great show because of how raw it is. It reminds me of a website someone created to showcase the heroin addicts around Baltimore featuring photos of people on the street doing the "heroin lean". When I first heard about it, I thought it was cruel and exploitative. While its original intentions are still largely unknown and debated, I do know that many people who saw themselves on that site were so horrified that they sought help to get clean. I guess at the end of the day, whatever works is a good thing - even if it uses shock value!
Old 08-05-2018, 10:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VigilanceNow View Post
Ah, this show is still hard for me to watch!! There was an episode with a spiraling alcoholic girl that really hit home for me. She came from a decent family who had cut her off financially in an attempt to stop her drinking, so she resorted to selling her "services" occasionally to get booze money. It was hard to watch because she had many of the habits I also had while active in alcoholism, like hiding bottles in an around the house and zealously denying having drank anything when I clearly had.

I myself didn't undergo an intervention, but after entering recovery family and friends told me that they had been planning one. I think it would've been really overwhelming to see everyone in one place like that, realizing that despite my best efforts everyone knew what I was doing... I think that's what some people need.

I think it's a great show because of how raw it is. It reminds me of a website someone created to showcase the heroin addicts around Baltimore featuring photos of people on the street doing the "heroin lean". When I first heard about it, I thought it was cruel and exploitative. While its original intentions are still largely unknown and debated, I do know that many people who saw themselves on that site were so horrified that they sought help to get clean. I guess at the end of the day, whatever works is a good thing - even if it uses shock value!
I'm going to have to start watching this. Never heard of it. I think it's great that people share the realities of life. I've been watching Invisible People and the guy goes around talking to homeless people. He was homeless himself and addicted to alcohol and drugs. It's really great what he does and the homeless are able to set up GoFundMe pages and get support from people that want to help.

It's amazing when millions of people around the world donate less than a cup of a coffee and the end result of donations is then able to help these people get off the streets.

Sorry I went off topic.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The donate a coffee was great I think because it made sure people who were unfortunately homeless could sit in a cafe and be treated like people and felt cared for.
The programme intervention is a very real portrayal of addiction and how it affects people and their family and friends. It’s hard to watch in a way but very raw.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I’m several years into recovery, but it is still a hard show for me to watch.
Brings back memories of falling, tripping over things, etc.
Glad I’m not there anymore. Never want to be again.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I used to watch this show (while drinking), so that I would see how worse off other people were, so that I could tell myself "see, you're not so bad."

I wonder what I would have thought if I had a film crew following my every step? Maybe would have realized I wasn't so very different from the people on TV. Man, I never want to go back to that life.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I used to watch it, but haven't in a while. I have mixed feelings about it. It seems like the addicts who are featured have already lost everything (I assume they receive some kind of payment or stipend to appear on the show, because why would they agree otherwise?) It was just too easy for me to be dismissive, since I didn't make it that far down (YET).
Old 08-06-2018, 03:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow I just put a post up about this this show is really helping me