Notices

OK, let's see if I remember how to drive this thing...

Old 08-02-2018, 11:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OK, let's see if I remember how to drive this thing...

I am a long-time member (since 2013) who hasn't posted much of late. I have remained sober and am not on the edge of relapse as near as I can tell. But, truth be told, I miss being a part of Sober Recovery.

So, to the extent that not posting in a long time might allow me to reclaim my former status as a Newcomer, here I am.

Howdy, friends.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey hey, we joined the same time - summer 2013 - many moons ago.

How long have you been sober? By what means?

Welcome back.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you're back!
Old 08-02-2018, 11:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good to see you firstymer, glad you're doing well.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey, LG! I am just shy of 5 years sober. I haven't had a drink since the day I joined SR. I had been drinking 8-12 drinks per day for years before coming here. I had been an alcoholic for probably 20 years. This place has been my prime source of support throughout my recovery.

How did I quit? Well, as I said, it was mostly all of the smart, supportive people here that made the biggest difference. I never went to inpatient treatment or even AA. But I spent a lot of time her. A LOT of time. You all gave me a place where I could feel safe acknowledging, for the first time in my life, that I am an alcoholic. That was a turning point in my recovery.

After only a few days here, I learned a simple but critical truth. I don't drink like "normal" people do. I drink to get drunk. I never wanted, and was never able, to drink one or two drinks. I had to drink 5. Or 10. Or more. I learned that my "on/off" switch was broken. Plain and simple. Armed with that realization, I knew that the only two choices I had were to quit - completely and forever - or keep drinking like I was and continue my downward spiral. I had already lost my marriage. Moderation was never an option. I knew that things would get worse if I stayed on the same path. So I quit. It was that simple. It wasn't easy, by any means. I had the sweats. The cravings. The AV screaming at me constantly.

But it got less difficult, each month and each year. And life got better. And now, 5 years later, I am living a normal, happy life. Sobriety doesn't solve all of your problems. But it solved my biggest problems.

I highly recommend it. And if I can get sober, anyone can get sober.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome back ! It’s very encouraging for me to hear success stories like this. I have been struggling for several years to get sober . I’m on day 29 and hope this time I stay sober forever . Thanks for your post
Old 08-02-2018, 12:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day 29 is fantastic, skipper123! You are doing great! Keep posting to let us know how you are doing. And, if you are struggling, post about that too. It's easier to keep from ringing the bell than it is to "unring" a bell, know what I mean?
Old 08-02-2018, 01:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firstymer View Post
Hey, LG! I am just shy of 5 years sober. I haven't had a drink since the day I joined SR. I had been drinking 8-12 drinks per day for years before coming here. I had been an alcoholic for probably 20 years. This place has been my prime source of support throughout my recovery.

How did I quit? Well, as I said, it was mostly all of the smart, supportive people here that made the biggest difference. I never went to inpatient treatment or even AA. But I spent a lot of time her. A LOT of time. You all gave me a place where I could feel safe acknowledging, for the first time in my life, that I am an alcoholic. That was a turning point in my recovery.

After only a few days here, I learned a simple but critical truth. I don't drink like "normal" people do. I drink to get drunk. I never wanted, and was never able, to drink one or two drinks. I had to drink 5. Or 10. Or more. I learned that my "on/off" switch was broken. Plain and simple. Armed with that realization, I knew that the only two choices I had were to quit - completely and forever - or keep drinking like I was and continue my downward spiral. I had already lost my marriage. Moderation was never an option. I knew that things would get worse if I stayed on the same path. So I quit. It was that simple. It wasn't easy, by any means. I had the sweats. The cravings. The AV screaming at me constantly.

But it got less difficult, each month and each year. And life got better. And now, 5 years later, I am living a normal, happy life. Sobriety doesn't solve all of your problems. But it solved my biggest problems.

I highly recommend it. And if I can get sober, anyone can get sober.
Sounds great to me. Think we have somewhat similar paths. Day 110 or so here. Glad to have you back.

SR is HUGE for my sobriety.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Firstymer, congrats on five years sober!
Old 08-02-2018, 02:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to see you, firstymer - 5 yrs. is fabulous.

I've been here for 11 yrs. - hanging out mostly in Newcomers. Not sure what would happen if I stopped signing on every day.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Firstymer, it's great to see you, and especially great to know you have 5 years of recovery!

I'm glad you posted, and I hope you continue to read and post here.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to have you back first timer

D
Old 08-02-2018, 04:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey! Good to see ya!

Pull up a chair. Tea?
Old 08-02-2018, 04:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on 5 years! That's fantastic!
Old 08-02-2018, 05:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

Good to see you, firstymer!
Old 08-05-2018, 06:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you, your post is inspiring.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey Firstymer! Congratulations! Those five years went by quickly -- and richly. So grateful for sobriety!
Old 08-05-2018, 02:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congratulations that's fantastic
I'm 7 months and can't wait to get to where you are
Fantastic
Cara ❤
Old 08-05-2018, 02:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you and cudos on 5 years firstymer.

This was a very encouraging post for me. After a year or two of trying to convince myself of the simple fact that I cannot drink like "normal" folks, it was SR that really, truly hit that point home and started me on my road to sobriety.

Granted, I am a newbie at 66 days, and have not ruled out any avenue of support to remain sober, but to this point the realization/acceptance that I just cannot drink "normally" has been all the motivation I needed to kickstart this process. It's great to hear it worked that way for someone else.