Notices

Need advise: AA vs IOP vs Doing it yourself

Old 07-30-2018, 11:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

And definitely SR!!! Without SR and all it's wonderful members, I wouldn't have even made it this far. I'll be using SR multiple times daily.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
quat

re plan and additions:
- Don't drink, no matter what ( and you're golden )
Old 07-30-2018, 02:06 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

- IOP booked, deposit paid and papers signed.
- Rational Recovery book ordered from Amazon.

For the first time, I'm actually going to follow through on this!
Old 07-30-2018, 02:09 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by MagnumCat View Post
- IOP booked, deposit paid and papers signed.
- Rational Recovery book ordered from Amazon.

Don't think you can go wrong with this combo.

I like the idea of adding some AA into the mix. It didn't speak to me, but like Less it helped in early sobriety by allowing me to be around others in recovery, some for a very long time.

Do it all, and enjoy the challenge!
Old 07-30-2018, 08:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

You CAN do this, Magnum. And the degree of difficulty is completely up to you. For example, there are many substance addicted women who become pregnant, and quit immediately. Somehow continuing in their addiction is a line they will not cross. They see immediately that they can drink or have a healthy pregnancy but not both.

You can draw this line too, for whatever reason works for you. For me, the line was I deserve to have a life without the sadness and shame and guilt and depression and anxiety. I could drink, or I could have a life I deserved to have, but I could not have both.

So I quit thirty years of drinking, at the end it was a bottle of vodka every day. I quit seven years ago now, and I quit once. Done.

You can quit too, forever, and for good. Are you ready to make that plan about ever drinking again? I think you deserve it, too.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:51 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

The Rational Recovery book arrived in the mail today. That was fast!! Now to start reading it and working it.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:30 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hey there. 5 mos here. I think my plan is still evolving, but I'll share what seems to be working for me-

I've explored a lot. I hit AA on and off though I have to admit I'm not a strict or super formal about working the steps. I may in time. I may not. I think they are all very valuable and wouldn't discourage anyone from working them.

I'm very much into AVRT. Of all the formal stuff out there this appeals to me greatly.

I'm enrolled in IOP, have been since May. I'm seeing a lot of positive come out of it. Mine is one on one therapy. Some may prefer group. For me I can get my group needs by hitting an AA meeting. The one on one lets us get under the hood more.

My plan is kind of evolving into a hybrid sort of deal and I'm enjoying the different perspectives each brings to the issue. Of late I've been realizing how important it will be for me to - in the intermediate and long term - stay tethered to something and be available to give back. Not just to help, but to keep me from ever forgetting what this thing is. I suspect I'll end up largely with AVRT at the core - I prefer the simplicity and the rationality of it - and use AA and/or other groups to occasionally but routinely keep myself tethered so I don't forget.

Knowledge is power. Best to you-

B
Old 08-01-2018, 07:39 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MagnumCat View Post

following through is one of he foundation stones.
great start!