Notices

Reaching crucial Friday

Old 08-01-2018, 12:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reaching crucial Friday

Hey everyone,

I'm kind of nervous. I have got way better in the past few weeks after a terrible week that landed me in the hospital. Usually, when I feel better, I go out and do it again.

Friday is always crucial for me, usually when I fall. I'm quite nervous for this upcoming Friday, quite anxious actually and I just hope for tips on what to do.

All best,
Old 08-01-2018, 12:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Fridays are my downfall too.....
Try and make a very detailed plan of what you will do. A specific list of activities to keep you occupied. Also if possible avoid being near alcohol. This is especially hard if you live with a drinker but if it is not around it is easier to deal with the cravings.
Join the weekender thread.....it starts on Thursdays. You will find so much support there too.
I am only on day 3 (yet again). How about joining the August group for some extra daily support?

Best wishes to you.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can only tell you what worked for me in the early days Hope and that was, keep busy, if necessary plan your entire weekend out and very important, change your normal routine.
I also made sure I kept away from those drinking buddies, I couldn't be around alcohol at all. Make sure you eat regularly and if you do get hit with a craving, suffocate it with sweet stuff, ice-cream worked a treat for me.
If you struggle, make sure to get on SR and ask for help before you give in, there is always someone here who will talk you through.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well.

My suggestion is to plan. Make a plan to do things you enjoy and to keep busy. Try doing something this weekend that you don't normally do. And, keep posting here anytime you feel concerned.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you'll find a way to stay sober, no matter what day it is.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Hope1989 View Post
Friday is always crucial for me, usually when I fall.
Drinking doesn't have to be a self-fulfilling prophesy. But you seem to be heading into Friday pre-determined to fail.

I would suggest that whatever you do on the Fridays you drink, don't do them this Friday. You've posted before about your reservations about AA, but a meeting on a trigger night might be exactly the kind of thing to do to break the pattern. Of course, meeting aren't the program of AA...working the steps are. With a sponsor. Bring that up at the meeting.

Everyone on SR who has any amount of sober time has had to get through the night, or nights, they normally drank on.

You can too.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't know if this will help but I wrote a letter to myself detailing exactly what I've gone through, how I felt during and after relapse and what I want for myself. It helps me when I read it, to remind myself how much drinkings hurts. It might help you too? Rach xx
Old 08-01-2018, 02:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

..... tips on what to do.
call it monday instead of friday. dont drink even if your ass falls off.

...terrible week that landed me in the hospital.

write out the events that happened that led ya there and the experience while you were there. print it out and tape copies where you will read it often. dont drink even if your ass falls off.

get out and volunteer. dont drink even if your ass falls off.

there is only one way you will end up drunk- if you allow it to happen. dont drink even if your ass falls off.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

you could do worse than stick to SR for the weekend Hope.

There'll be a new Weekend er thread later today but they're always a good place to be for support - everyone welcome

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...2018-a-11.html (Weekender Thread 26 - 30th July 2018)

D
Old 08-01-2018, 07:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hope1989 View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm kind of nervous. I have got way better in the past few weeks after a terrible week that landed me in the hospital. Usually, when I feel better, I go out and do it again.

Friday is always crucial for me, usually when I fall. I'm quite nervous for this upcoming Friday, quite anxious actually and I just hope for tips on what to do.

All best,
Have. A. Plan.

For me, Friday's were bad too. What I would always find was the gap between when I left work and if/when I went straight home was by far the biggest issue. Whenever I'd actually get home I'd be really glad I was there.

My vote? Plan to go straight home from work. Buy some comfort food on the way home. Settle in for a good movie you've been wanting to watch. Fire up some SR and interact a bit here if you want.

If there's other creature comforts you enjoy do them - for some its a bath or hot shower, candles, all that stuff, a good book, ice cream - whatever.

Treat yourself well. Stay sober. You deserve it.

B