Notices

Advice

Old 07-18-2018, 10:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice

Hello all I am from India and I want advice and guidance regarding my habit of alcohol abuse. Now I know it will be a long read but it's important for me to tell the whole thing so that people are aware of the specifics of my case.

My problem is alcohol abuse but it didn't begin with that. At 17 years, I went to college and started smoking cigarettes, we used to to drink once in a few weeks like moderate normal people.

In my third year, things went bad personally and I was introduced to weed or maijuana. I destroyed 3 years of my life due to that. I was using marijuana with intermittent alcohol once in a while. In 2011, I decided to put an end to it, and for this, I decided to move back to my home town where I won't have access to weed.

When I came back, I began facing withdrawal and in absence of any guidance, I started looking for available alternatives to my addiction and I found bhang (hemp). I managed to destroy 3-4 years of my life further till I got my graduate degree and started thinking about my future.

I found a job but this addiction, seriously hampered my confidence and performance, I got tired early, frustrated at my inability to deliver in my profession. I wanted to quit this, and one day I did. For 2 weeks, I stopped. After two weeks, I decided (my addict conscious decided) to give us a treat and I did this again, had very bad panic attack and decided to never do it again.

But professional and personal frustrations continued and I began drinking heavily (I used to drink earlier moderately because my addiction was taken care of by weed and later on by bhang). I did succeed in quitting bhaang, and my confidence returned, my performance improved, my mood uplifted, but by now I was drinking daily 5-6 60ml whiskey to keep me going.

Its been 3 years of drinking now. I smoke cigarettes too but I feel alcohol hampers my stamina, hangover makes me tired and my conscious uses this as a means to keep drinking.

So 7 years of cannabis and hemp and 3 years of alcohol. I now want my health back, I want to feel happy without alcohol. I dont want my mind telling me, I need to drink if I hope to work tomorrow. I dont need my mind asking me "how will you relax and enjoy without alcohol?" I dont want my mind creating images of me drinking to draw me towards it.

Sure I tried to quit this since my 2nd year of alcohol abuse, when I gave up alcohol for one day, my mind would want rewarded next day. If I managed two days without it, my mind would threaten dire consequences "what about your patient tomorrow, you wont be able to concentrate". It's always some excuse, from "we have patient scheduled tomorrow" to "there is power cut, we will not be able to sleep" to "I feel tired and I must drink for recreation". Somedays when I put my foot down, it would literally beg, "just one day today, and we wont do it tomorrow". I tried work out, and after 2 days, my whole body was in pain, I couldn't stand without feeling my legs cry in pain, and in the evening, my brain would use this excuse, that "alcohol will numb the pain and we will be able to sleep". I tried slow walking and jogging but same things happened (I have read about muscle tearing and inability to repair in alcoholics).

3 weeks back, I decided to quit and to prevent and worry of my work from being used as excuse, took 7 days off work. I succeeded on monday and tuesday, then fell back to drinking on wednesday. Guilt caught up and I succeeded again on thursday and friday before falling back to drinking on saturday.

Now I have started trying again. It's been 2 evenings without drinking. I feel great every night that I haven't succumbed to it. I feel good every morning although still feel as if its a hang over without the bad smell. But when the evenings approach, my mind tries every trick to get me to drink again. Even uses it's regular "just one last day today, we will quit and do gym tomorrow".

Now, I will try to succeed today (third day). I have third day bad luck it seems, never been able to quit 3 days in a row. I am not even 30 yet, so I feel I can succeed at this, but every time on third day, my stomach pains, I feel like **** and end up drinking just to remove these symptoms.

Now, I have some questions from the ones who have managed to read all of this without getting bored (I know people don't like to read someone else's problem story).

I try various different hobbies like games, movies, junk food. everything seems to falter after 2 days. I can't work out because it will further tire me out. So, how can I make this work and keep going?

I have read questions "how long will it take for us to feel normal" and most of the replies "it depends on how much and how long you have been drinking". That's why I laid all facts bare regarding my problem.

So how long will I keep feeling like ****? How long will I feel that quitting will prevent me from focussing on work? When will I be able to sleep without alcohol?

Any tips, pointers and advices are welcome. (Frankly, this is the first time I am seeking help, I can't take help in real world, because this fact if gets out, it will create problems from me personally and professionally. My parents are aware and encouraging me to quit so that is not the issue here).

I hope I have not bored you with my sob story, and would definitely like to have any advices or opinions of possible.

Thank you
Old 07-18-2018, 10:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venomrulz View Post
Hello all I am from India and I want advice and guidance regarding my habit of alcohol abuse. Now I know it will be a long read but it's important for me to tell the whole thing so that people are aware of the specifics of my case.

My problem is alcohol abuse but it didn't begin with that. At 17 years, I went to college and started smoking cigarettes, we used to to drink once in a few weeks like moderate normal people.

In my third year, things went bad personally and I was introduced to weed or maijuana. I destroyed 3 years of my life due to that. I was using marijuana with intermittent alcohol once in a while. In 2011, I decided to put an end to it, and for this, I decided to move back to my home town where I won't have access to weed.

When I came back, I began facing withdrawal and in absence of any guidance, I started looking for available alternatives to my addiction and I found bhang (hemp). I managed to destroy 3-4 years of my life further till I got my graduate degree and started thinking about my future.

I found a job but this addiction, seriously hampered my confidence and performance, I got tired early, frustrated at my inability to deliver in my profession. I wanted to quit this, and one day I did. For 2 weeks, I stopped. After two weeks, I decided (my addict conscious decided) to give us a treat and I did this again, had very bad panic attack and decided to never do it again.

But professional and personal frustrations continued and I began drinking heavily (I used to drink earlier moderately because my addiction was taken care of by weed and later on by bhang). I did succeed in quitting bhaang, and my confidence returned, my performance improved, my mood uplifted, but by now I was drinking daily 5-6 60ml whiskey to keep me going.

Its been 3 years of drinking now. I smoke cigarettes too but I feel alcohol hampers my stamina, hangover makes me tired and my conscious uses this as a means to keep drinking.

So 7 years of cannabis and hemp and 3 years of alcohol. I now want my health back, I want to feel happy without alcohol. I dont want my mind telling me, I need to drink if I hope to work tomorrow. I dont need my mind asking me "how will you relax and enjoy without alcohol?" I dont want my mind creating images of me drinking to draw me towards it.

Sure I tried to quit this since my 2nd year of alcohol abuse, when I gave up alcohol for one day, my mind would want rewarded next day. If I managed two days without it, my mind would threaten dire consequences "what about your patient tomorrow, you wont be able to concentrate". It's always some excuse, from "we have patient scheduled tomorrow" to "there is power cut, we will not be able to sleep" to "I feel tired and I must drink for recreation". Somedays when I put my foot down, it would literally beg, "just one day today, and we wont do it tomorrow". I tried work out, and after 2 days, my whole body was in pain, I couldn't stand without feeling my legs cry in pain, and in the evening, my brain would use this excuse, that "alcohol will numb the pain and we will be able to sleep". I tried slow walking and jogging but same things happened (I have read about muscle tearing and inability to repair in alcoholics).

3 weeks back, I decided to quit and to prevent and worry of my work from being used as excuse, took 7 days off work. I succeeded on monday and tuesday, then fell back to drinking on wednesday. Guilt caught up and I succeeded again on thursday and friday before falling back to drinking on saturday.

Now I have started trying again. It's been 2 evenings without drinking. I feel great every night that I haven't succumbed to it. I feel good every morning although still feel as if its a hang over without the bad smell. But when the evenings approach, my mind tries every trick to get me to drink again. Even uses it's regular "just one last day today, we will quit and do gym tomorrow".

Now, I will try to succeed today (third day). I have third day bad luck it seems, never been able to quit 3 days in a row. I am not even 30 yet, so I feel I can succeed at this, but every time on third day, my stomach pains, I feel like **** and end up drinking just to remove these symptoms.

Now, I have some questions from the ones who have managed to read all of this without getting bored (I know people don't like to read someone else's problem story).

I try various different hobbies like games, movies, junk food. everything seems to falter after 2 days. I can't work out because it will further tire me out. So, how can I make this work and keep going?

I have read questions "how long will it take for us to feel normal" and most of the replies "it depends on how much and how long you have been drinking". That's why I laid all facts bare regarding my problem.

So how long will I keep feeling like ****? How long will I feel that quitting will prevent me from focussing on work? When will I be able to sleep without alcohol?

Any tips, pointers and advices are welcome. (Frankly, this is the first time I am seeking help, I can't take help in real world, because this fact if gets out, it will create problems from me personally and professionally. My parents are aware and encouraging me to quit so that is not the issue here).

I hope I have not bored you with my sob story, and would definitely like to have any advices or opinions of possible.

Thank you
I think everyone is different..if your anything like me..the answer is you will prob feel bad for awhile...your sleep will get back on track.in a few months hopefully! You may have several sleepless nights..as you may depend on it for sleep. I have gone to work many days with no sleep and its rough..but that aspect eventually gets better. As far as your hobbies go..what did you enjoy doing before you began using? I know for me, it was difficult to remember..my entire existence for many years revolved around drinking..and socializing with people that drink. It may take you some time to get to the working out point..but treat yourself right..one day at a time.😊
Old 07-19-2018, 04:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had many hobbies but I dont think anyone of them would be helpful. Music seems difficult, art seems boring now. I cant remember anything. So far video games work. But I am worried soon the urge will render them boring too. The one day at a time actually is helpful for my drunkard conscious it started it's "let's drink one last time before we say good bye" rant as soon as I read your post. But I have given it 3 years worth of last days so I will make sure it doesn't work for it. I will keep posting here regarding my progress.

Thank you.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm not able to tell you how long you will feel poorly after you quit, but I can tell you with a high degree of certainty that if you continue to drink, your life will undoubtedly be worse than if you don't drink. Failed relationships, lost jobs, health issues and in some cases death. Welcome to SR. Good people here.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The drink is causing the symptoms. Keep going. It takes time to recover from a serious illness like alcohol dependence.

Every day will be a little better than the last, just hang on and all will work out.

You can make it past three days, if I can you can.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome venomrulz
You will find there's no good time to quit - it's always going to be hard.

The good news is if you continue with staying sober it will get easier and easier

SR really helped me with support. I posted a lot. Everytime that little voixe said, you're not so bad, or you can drink today and start again tomorrow I'd read here and accept I was just like eveyone else.

Gradually days sober became, weeks, weeks became months - and months became years

You can do it too

D
Old 07-19-2018, 04:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Venomrulz!

I'm glad you are here seeking support. Day 3 is often a tough day for people because usually you are feeling better at that point.

I don't know how long it will take you to feel better. We are all individual in our recovery journeys. I encourage you to keep trying to find things to do that are meaningful and enjoyable for you.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi. I drank the same amount as you for about the same amount of time. It took two weeks of no alcohol before I started feeling better physically. It may take longer to get your mental speed and full energy back, at least it did for me, but I am also older than you. Any drinks in that period of time would set me back, even if I didn’t drink at the same level as before.

You can do this! The first week was the hardest for me. The restlessness and the urges were terrible. I tried to keep myself busy - go to a movie or basically do anything to take my mind off of drinking. Sometimes it seemed like I did 10 things in a night for only 10-30 min each, moving from thing to thing like a crazy person. But I got through the day and I didn’t drink, which was the goal.

The number one priority has to be to not take a drink (or puff). Do whatever you need to do to avoid that. You can do this! And come here often, someone is always around.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get clean and sober for good.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sorry

So I know its been many few days, and some of you must have guessed, I relapsed. On the same day, I made the first post here, I went back to drink in the evening. The excuse my brain used was, my sister will go back to her in laws in 2 days so I should drink to have fun, while she watches FRIENDS.

The next day I felt deeply ashamed and I couldn't bring myself to post here about my failure. I decided to post again when I had succeeded. After 7 days, I was geared up for stopping it again, and that day I got fever, though I only thought its a headache due to me refusing to drink, so I went drink to keep headache at bay. Next day my mother felt I had fever, and we checked. They they took me to doctor and he prescribed tests.

That day I decided to stop it once and for all. I tested positive for typhus fever which means I need rest till this stays, I guess 15 days minimum.

Today is my fifth day without drink and I feel very happy to post here having finally crossed the 3rd day barrier. The only problem I am having is that I couldn't sleep for first two days, then third day my brain got tired enough to sleep, but I had fragmented sleep even then. I thought okay it will ease out tomorrow, but on 4th day, I still had no sleep. Only at 4AM I fell asleep for two hours. Its 12 PM now and I dont feel tired at all.

Of course I won't drink to induce sleep because this sleep trouble IS BECAUSE of my drinking problem but I was not expecting to fail to sleep 3 days out of 4. Still I am happy, because of my typhoid (typhus) fever, I stay home and don't have to work tired. Plus my father can't tell me to go to work because doctor forbade it, besides he is very happy with my 4 day success.

My brain still tries to tell me we will celebrate after fever is over, but I now feel I have many other beautiful ways to celebrate like I have been watching old movies, new movies, 3d movies, new games I got, I am looking forward to buying a wireless earphone to listen to music when I start running and maybe work out after the fever gets over.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences, I don't know how to express gratitude (drinking takes away social skills from us lonely drinkers).

I shall keep posting here and I feel now I will leave this behind completely. I have a feeling that even one wrong step, one drink will set me back completely, so I will prevent that at all costs.

(My smoking has increased these 4-5 days, I guess my body is looking to the last addiction left for respite)

Old 07-29-2018, 11:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're sick but I'm glad it's given you a headstart recovery wise

D
Old 08-01-2018, 06:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Now on my 7th day. Feeling so happy
Old 08-01-2018, 06:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Day 7 is terrific! I hope you are feeling better and sleeping better.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great job!

There is no reason (justification) for drinking. It just doesn't serve me any more.

Keep it going! A week is awesome.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm sorry you're sick but I'm glad it's given you a headstart recovery wise

D
Yes, illness that's not due to drinking can be godsend when trying to quit, taking the mind of things.

Welcome venom, it seems like you're heading in the right direction, well done.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well done! Keep going, it will get easier.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

So its my 10th alcohol free day today and everything seems great. I haven't had any of those scary withdrawl symptoms that I had read about before embarking on this journey. No cramps no shakes, nothing. I had some fear initially but it has subsided now.

The only thing I dont understand is, I thought I would loose weight quickly after quitting alcohol since its a "refined sugar" and "empty calories" are lost. But strangely, I have lost only 2 kgs in 10 days. I admit that due to the fever, I have been sitting home, doing no physical work at all, but I have also been eating very light food specially in the night, so I was hoping to have lost more weight than this. Can anyone shed any light on this?
Old 08-03-2018, 07:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

2kg in 10 days is a good amount! I wouldn't worry about weight too much. You're going to be healthier by quitting drinking whether you lose or gain weight. That's something you can focus on later. Many friends of mine went crazy on ice cream after quitting. For reference, I managed to eat healthy and lost 1 lb a week on average for the first 15 weeks.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congratulations on you ten days, and I'm so sorry you got typhus. Yikes! In a way, like another poster said, when you have a health problem that's not a hangover or drinking related, it does serve the purpose of making you not even want to drink, at least it did with me. I believe anyone who can get themselves through graduate school while drinking can certainly handle their life without drinking. You may have some down days because you will actually have to deal with the ups and downs of life without a hit or a drink, but even non-drinkers get the blues and have blah days. You can do this.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yay

14th day today. 2 weeks complete