Notices

Paws

Old 07-15-2018, 10:58 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by boreas View Post
I’ve got an old bottle of the stuff in the cupboard now . My doc pretty much shrugged his shoulders and said, “If you think it’ll help...”. I tried lots of things over the years, everything EXCEPT addressing the obvious, my drinking. Nothing had as profound an effect on my symptoms as stepping away from the bottle. As you already know, it's good to talk with your doc before taking supplements.

My Name Was Bette: The Life and Death of an Alcoholic is a documentary available on youtube done by Bette’s daughters. It addresses the impact of chronic alcoholism on a woman’s body. I found it interesting.

Here’s hoping you feel better soon!
-bora
Thank you! I will have to check that out. Yeah my dr. Is really lax about stuff..i have an appt Wed..i am going to bring up my symptoms..and request a vitamin deficiency test at least..I know all the yrs of drinking has been hard on my body. 😞
Old 07-15-2018, 11:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gabe1980 View Post
Thank you for starting this thread Sobriety....I've been reading around about PAWS and this is really helpful. Gabex
Absolutley! Did you you read some of the questions for Bill? That really helped me!
Old 07-15-2018, 11:21 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
J50

I had panic attacks that lasted 6-8 weeks. I've had them before throughout the years, but they were a one time thing and would immediately go away. I also had insomnia during the same period. At 8 months I feel so much better. The key is to give yourself time and know things will improve!
Old 07-15-2018, 11:30 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm 39 and was a daily heavy drinker for 13 years give or take. I am sitting at roughly 18 weeks sober so I will share some of my experiences with what I assume is paws.

Anxiety. Health anxiety. This comes in waves out of nowhere. I can be sitting around watching tv and it will hit. It also leaves randomly as well. Sometimes it'll last a day sometimes an hour. Sleep always seems to reset it. Lack of sleep agitates it.

Depersonalization. Part of the anxiety. Can be scary at first but I'm so used to it now I just keep moving.

Dizziness and brain fog. Pretty constant symptom. Intensity varies but it's always around.

Tight Jaws and weak legs. Also part of the anxiety.

Really bad palpitations (PVCs) these actually scared me enough to go see a cardiologist. Normal echo and stress test. Also wore a thirty day monitor. All normal. These are actually starting to subside. Some nights I don't have any some nights I'll have a few. I think once my brain rewires it'll be all good.

Not related to paws but ever since I quit I've had wicked heart burn I never experienced while boozing.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:42 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
J50

Originally Posted by Justin61571 View Post
I'm 39 and was a daily heavy drinker for 13 years give or take. I am sitting at roughly 18 weeks sober so I will share some of my experiences with what I assume is paws.

Anxiety. Health anxiety. This comes in waves out of nowhere. I can be sitting around watching tv and it will hit. It also leaves randomly as well. Sometimes it'll last a day sometimes an hour. Sleep always seems to reset it. Lack of sleep agitates it.

Depersonalization. Part of the anxiety. Can be scary at first but I'm so used to it now I just keep moving.

Dizziness and brain fog. Pretty constant symptom. Intensity varies but it's always around.

Tight Jaws and weak legs. Also part of the anxiety.

Really bad palpitations (PVCs) these actually scared me enough to go see a cardiologist. Normal echo and stress test. Also wore a thirty day monitor. All normal. These are actually starting to subside. Some nights I don't have any some nights I'll have a few. I think once my brain rewires it'll be all good.

Not related to paws but ever since I quit I've had wicked heart burn I never experienced while boozing.

Hope this helps.
Are you sure you didn't write that for me???

I pretty much had everything you described, and multiple doctor visits.

The good thing for me was that it all went away.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:07 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by J50 View Post
Are you sure you didn't write that for me???

I pretty much had everything you described, and multiple doctor visits.

The good thing for me was that it all went away.
I've read that most people get some real relief at the six month mark. I'll be there shortly and I really hope so. Things have eased up though. The waves are getting shorter.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:31 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
J50

I've read that most people get some real relief at the six month mark. I'll be there shortly and I really hope so. Things have eased up though. The waves are getting shorter.
I would say that was pretty accurate for me and I'm now at 8 months. Learning about PAWS was a big relief because I thought there was something seriously wrong with me in the beginning.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:44 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by J50 View Post
I had panic attacks that lasted 6-8 weeks. I've had them before throughout the years, but they were a one time thing and would immediately go away. I also had insomnia during the same period. At 8 months I feel so much better. The key is to give yourself time and know things will improve!
Im nearly at the 8 month mark next week..felt a panic attack coming on at Walmart this evening. Omg i hate that they come out of no where! Im thinking about buying a treadmill..maybe if i make walking on one part of my daily routine, some of the symptoms will go away quicker..stress management right?!
Old 07-16-2018, 09:12 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I had PAWS pretty bad, it did start easing around the 6 month mark but it was around the 13 month mark where I really started to feel good.

I'm a bit over 17 months now and hardly have any bouts of it anymore.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:20 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I know that my experience with paws has definitely cemented my will to not drink again. I never want to go thru this again :p
Old 07-16-2018, 09:27 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I never want to go thru this again :p
I know that feeling. The emotional rollercoaster is pretty insane, add the fogginess and inability to form thoughts... When it did finally lift it was like a breath of fresh air.