Notices

tattoo

Old 07-07-2018, 05:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

tattoo

thinking of some kind of tattoo has symbol only I know. I reminder not to drink..anybody ever tried this
Old 07-07-2018, 05:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I have enough reminders.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I think having a solid plan for sobriety is a better idea to be honest Buglens. By that I mean using a resource like SR, a recovery group, a self-paced recovery plan, therapy, rehab, or whatever else you might find that works for you. A tattoo is certainly a reminder and a very permant one at that, but it's not a form of action - which is what's most important when getting sober.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by buglens View Post
thinking of some kind of tattoo has symbol only I know. I reminder not to drink..anybody ever tried this
Tiny tattoos seem to be popular now.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

it would be silly, to say the least
Old 07-07-2018, 06:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't think it's a silly idea. If it works for you go for it.

What I would do is promise myself a tattoo when I've been sober for 6 months. Use the tattoo as a "prize" for your efforts. And then you can pick a tattoo that maybe depicts your personal struggle you had with alcohol.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Buglens,

No tattoos here yet. I thought about it, but can't pull the trigger.

I routinely see tattoos on folks and think...that looks hideous.

This girl had a tattoo of a bird of paradise on here lower back,..it sort of looked like it was growing out of her rear.

Buyer beware I guess.

Thanks.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have been anti tattoo my whole life but actually also thought about a sobriety tattoo as well. If I go that route, I want to have a substantial amount of time under my belt first.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
quat

When I found SR , I found out about AVRT/RR, great threads on these ideas here on SR in the Secular Recovery and associated sub forums. Those ideas really resonated with me and I ended my addiction and reassumed the ‘mantle’ of a common teetotaler

A year after having made my Big Plan , I caught the ink bug . I made an ambigram out of the word “sufficit” and had it tattooed . For me it’s a statement about ‘enough’ eg I had enough, enough is enough, enough isn’t always enough, ya could try a little harder , ect

Getting a tattoo in order to fight/defeat my Beast wouldn’t have worked for me , the only thing that did that was to make an unconditional , permanent commitment to abstinence. My tat isn’t a ******** that can ward off addiction or ‘keep me sober’, it doesn’t can’t help, it’s just a subtle statement that I did that .

Quitters rock.

Hmm the software doesn’t seem to like the word that means special symbol or trinket with powers of warding off , odd
Old 07-07-2018, 08:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I love tattoos,but have none to do with my sobriety. I once saw a blackout drunk lady at the bar, before I got sober, and she had the serinity prayer tatted on her arm. So, yeah it's not going to keep you sober. I could see rewarding yourself with one after some time,as was mentioned.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Make sure it's something you want for the long haul

~Bunnez
Old 07-07-2018, 08:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Yeah, if you do it be sure. I know someone that has "soup" tatted on their ankle.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I would say the most important thing is to choose a good artist. Look around, see what styles you like, ponder over your design and communicate with the artist.

I’m covered in ink, nothing recovery related, but they’re meaningful to me. Some of them I had to book months in advance, but it’s worth to wait.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
"soup" tatted on their ankle.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think it is a great idea. People might claim it might not keep you sober but they don't know that. Everyone is unique. It might keep you sober or at the very least help you get sober for good. I have a sober tat and it worked wonders for me.

Just make sure you go to a good artist.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think a (smallish) sobriety tattoo would be a very cool thing.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

how about start with a rubber band around the wrist....you can snap it when the urge hits. then maybe work on staying sober, day in day out. whatever it takes.

sobriety is about looking forward.....instead of at that last bad drunk. it's like finally being released from the cage......we are now free to go anywhere do anything. instead of just keep looking back at the cage....
Old 07-07-2018, 07:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My sponsor is 76 and when he got sober at 69 got a tatt- and he loves it. I will not get one- because I may regret not the significance of the tatt- but it's permanence. I see some who have part of the serenity prayer on their leg- in big writing....
BUT- to remind myself of the significance of recovery- when I bought myself a 'I am going to treat myself' watch (it has lots of bits) I had my username from SR..'PhoenixJ' engraved on the back.
Do what you feel and THINK is right for you. My only thoughts about any decisions I make (well at least try) is to leave making them for 24h, if intense emotions- good or bad are involved. The watch- that took me months to decide on..so it was not an impulse buy. Similarly- if I feel really angry at someone, I will not have anything to do with them until I have thought it through. You are asking here about a tatt- which to me says you are thinking it through.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Do what you want, but I am reminded of a friend I had in high school who got a HUGE ass tattoo that said "straight edge" on his back and was good and wasted the very next weekend. Needless to say, his plan backfired...
Old 07-08-2018, 02:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have tattoos and I think that provided it's not too 'on the nose' so to speak it would be ok. Something that you know what it means but that doesn't advertise your past problems.

My recommendation is get it somewhere you can see (not on your back) but which can be covered in your normal day to day life.