Notices

Social Media and Recovery

Old 06-21-2018, 08:12 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

So I'm kinda old. Not super old, but old enough that I remember rotary phones and having one phone in the household that had a cord about 60 feet long so the person on the phone could wander around trying to find a place to talk where 14 other people weren't listening. Haha. Yeah.

I don't understand social media. I mean, literally. I had to join facebook when I got my licence to teach hot yoga. After that, I deleted it. I was kind of in awe of the whole thing. What is this sorcery? And I worked in tech for 14 years so it wasn't the technology that baffled, it was the psychology.

Standing back from it I am amazed at the trauma, drama and bs that the platform causes. And the addiction to it is stunning, even to me. The lack of privacy, the ego mongering, the utter uselessness....I'm sorry, but I'm floored by it. Snapchat? Wtf?

This stuff is literally changing the way we relate, or don't relate and pretend to relate. I am blown away by how teenagers are using it (I have a 17 yr old). Just don't even have words for it.

So I think its the fall of western civilization. haha. Yeah. That sounds nuts. I mean, look how its being used to influence our thinking. It makes advertising look passive. Anyway, that's just me. But stay tuned over the next decade.

Ok so that's one POV! I get that its a little extreme. But from where I'm sitting, its insanity at its basest level.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

The anxiety of social media is a trigger for me. I have mine shut down as I focus on recovery. I feel like... It's not the time for extra stress or overstimulation.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:41 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheSoberDude View Post
Interesting post,

I recently got back on Facebook after a substantial time of being sober now. I initially deleted it because it was such a negativity when I drank. I was pissed at this, pissed at that. Plus, I had little to no filter and used it to boost my confidence.

I now use it to post race pictures, updates, and keep up with several running groups. That’s about it! I don’t even scroll the thread because none of what people post is beneficial to me!
Thanks for that and all of the other great posts! You nailed it on the head. I used it when i drank too and really damaged some relationships in the process. I think i'm a little gunshy about it but now being over 16 mos sober i feel like i can handle it in small doses. Although for me sometimes it's a resentment/ego/character defect machine. It is nice to see updates from friends and family out of state but i don't miss the constant negativity that i get from people i know on there.
My .02
Have a good one everyone!
Garrison