Notices

Motivation?

Old 05-28-2018, 07:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Motivation?

I mean... I know I never want to have a hangover again. Or another night where I drank my weight in beer. But there needs to be more than that to convince me to never drink again otherwise I would have quite years ago. I just can’t drink “normal” I’m all or nothing. Big or nothing. And I’m dealing with a lot of **** right now and I don’t want to use alcohol as my escape. I need s new escape. A new way to get through that I just can’t drink anymore.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The hangovers were and still are a good motivator. Or at least reminder of what will happen.

Most people that have quit on here are the ones that really wanted it. And I don't mean a half assed want, I mean the kind where you just know that there is no Further road ahead for drinking.

I've tried to quite 8 or 10 times in the past, and this is the most intense want I've ever felt.

I would sometimes like a drink to relax. But then I remember myself after the one drink. It's a mess, I will have alcohol Infront of me every day for at least 6 hours for weeks on end and a head full problems.

I WANT to stay sober because i don't think I'll make it out in one piece from the next relapse.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by slipnslide View Post
...I’m dealing with a lot of **** right now and I don’t want to use alcohol as my escape. I need s new escape.
Nope. No escapes. That's one of the hardest things about sobriety and recovery from alcoholism. No more escapes. We learn to face life head on. And with all the discomfort that may bring...

...along with all the joy.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Nope. No escapes. That's one of the hardest things about sobriety and recovery from alcoholism. No more escapes. We learn to face life head on. And with all the discomfort that may bring...

...along with all the joy.
Hmmmmmm maybe escape was the wrong word. Relief? Relaxation? Stress reliever?
Old 05-28-2018, 04:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
formerly luvSOBERlife

Originally Posted by slipnslide View Post
Hmmmmmm maybe escape was the wrong word. Relief? Relaxation? Stress reliever?
The problem with this thinking is that alcohol is a terrible choice for relaxation and stress relief. It replaces our natural chemicals but is a poor substitute. We pay for the initial high from booze with weaker and weaker central nervous systems and, thus deeper and deeper depression over time. It's a vicious cycle that can only stop when alcohol is removed completely. Alcoholics just don't function the same as everyone else either. That's why we need more and more alcohol to achieve the same effect as time goes on. And when you've stopped for awhile and relapse, you still have the same tolerance as when you were drinking. You don't pick up where you left off, you pick up as if you never stopped in the first place. Alcohol is truly poison. It's evil. I've been sober for 11 days straight now and it's the happiest I've been in a long time. It's crystal clear to me how much trouble alcohol was causing me inside. Now that I've decided to live the sober life and have removed the option of drinking ever again, I honestly do not miss it at all.