Notices

Dealing with seeing other people drunk

Old 05-24-2018, 06:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dealing with seeing other people drunk

How do you deal with watching other people get drunk around you? Obviously sometimes you can just leave the situation, but other times you can't. Now that I'm sober I find drunk people so incredibly annoying, and I also feel sad and annoyed that I can't be on their level (even if their level is only 2-3 drinks and mine was 7-10.)
Old 05-24-2018, 06:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Other people around me don’t get drunk because I don’t hang around people like that.

I do occassionally see a stranger drunk, and I am always so thankful it’s not me. I also worry about them a little, like “how are they getting home” or “is she going to be safe.”
Old 05-24-2018, 07:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, drunk people can be the worst I mostly drank alone, so for me there's not much association with going to parties and being intoxicated. If it's a complete boozebath then of course I'll duck out, but I've actually been to a few livelier events now and stuck around because I was legit enjoying myself.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I tried really hard not to be around drunk people for a while.

It meant I missed a few parties and I lost a few drinking buddies, but I think it was worth it...it's one of the reasons I'm still sober today.

doesn't mean you have to sit at home in the dark either.
There are lots of things to do and see that don't need to involve alcohol.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ething-do.html (Looking For Something To Do?)

I can go anywhere and do anything now, but I had to work my way up to that.

Cut yourself a break in early recovery

D
Old 05-24-2018, 08:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was a home-alone drinker too, so didn't run into drunk people much. But if I do, I just give thanks I no longer drink.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My temporary living arrangements atm force me to see at least one drunk person every night, once I see the first sign i just avoid that person.

Iam used to it.

What goes through my mind when I see a drunken person? I think:

- Glad iam not you

- he/she is on a different life course to me, I used to be on that life course, I can now say "I've been there" and iam glad i recently jumped to this side.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I find them annoying actually. It also makes me realise how many borderline alcoholics / problem drinkers there are out there that are in denial.

I actually look at myself and count myself fortunate. Why may you ask? Well because I recognised I had a problem and it allowed me to break free from alcohol and live a healthy positive life without the poison AT ALL. Meanwhile the problem drinkers will continue to damage their mind and bodies with alcohol for the rest of their lives because they always just stay above the threshold/ red line of what they think is acceptable. They may think they are in control of drink becausethey restrict it to after work drinks, but in reality they are still reliant on it and they are drinking in many cases every day.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
Other people around me don’t get drunk because I don’t hang around people like that.

I do occassionally see a stranger drunk, and I am always so thankful it’s not me. I also worry about them a little, like “how are they getting home” or “is she going to be safe.”
This is a great answer to a legit question.

I too choose not to be around drunk people - my circle is both carefully cultivated AND full, of normal drinkers and those in recovery. Basically, only those trying to live their best lives, drinkers or not. And I also work in a restaurant- one where sobriety is a positive thing for staff because the owner of the whole restaurant group has set that tone himself, and this particular restaurant is higher end so I don't see as many drunk people as I did at more casual, let's go drink, places.

I was told early on that "no" is a complete sentence. I am ruthless about this- still, at 27 mo, and not from fear of drinking or jealously, but just because....a lot of stuff, events, etc isn't worthy of my time or thought space. I've said no to things like family Christmas, even.

Also, a form of no for me is going, staying long enough to say my respects or see the cake cut, and leaving graciously.

Just my $0.02 - taking care of ourselves first is the most important thing. Best to you.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

I have tried to avoid people when they're drinking and that doesn't really work too well, especially when many of them are relatives. It doesn't bother me anymore, but if they get "stupid drunk" I have the option to leave. Sometimes I leave. Other times I stay and Im thankful that Im not the ass in the room anymore. lol
Old 05-25-2018, 04:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I do not like being around drunk people at all. I do my very best to avoid it.

At times for me it's impossible to avoid due to my line of work but I'm getting better at it. It's one of those things that has caused me to relapse in the past and pulls on me if I'm around it too much.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=tekink;6907333]I do not like being around drunk people at all. I do my very best to avoid it.

At times for me it's impossible to avoid due to my line of work but I'm getting better at it. It's one of those things that has caused me to relapse in the past and pulls on me if I'm around it too much.[/QyUOTE] I always ensure I have an escape method planned so I can leave when I start to feel uncomfortable. Everybody knows I am in recovery - my choice to tell them - so It is not too awkward. Only 8 months sober so I am very careful not to get into events where people get really drunk but can't always get out of it.