Notices

Weekender 24-28 May 2018 - recycling...

Old 05-24-2018, 09:09 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
saoutchik

In! Thanks fo the OP Dee and a big thank you to Weasel1966 and Mecanix for starting this thread. It would be great if you both posted.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:34 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Ditto to what Saou said 😀
I really must try not to kill off the thread every Thursday morning 🤣xx
Old 05-24-2018, 09:37 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

To the smokers: I went from cigarettes to an e-cig overnite. In three days I felt so much better that I knew I wasn't going back. In a week, my sister told me I looked so much better.

If you can't put them down, go electronic.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

The thought of Memorial day long weekend makes me nervous. Few months back, I would look forward to it. I will stock up a 12 pack IPA and get ready. But now, I do not want to do it anymore.

In fact, work winds down Friday afternoon. AV is saying - hey don't be an idiot, feed me and be happy. Hope I can work out a plan soon.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:44 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in.

I didn't even realize until yesterday that it's a long weekend. That was a nice surprise. Holidays and weekends used to be big excuses to get wasted for me. Not anymore - now they are times to catch up around the house, go hiking, spend a little extra time with family and friends, relax. So much better than being drunk and hungover and usually full of regrets.

Last weekend in Chicago went fine. No one brought up anything uncomfortable. We got a lot done, and had a nice lunch telling good stories about my dad. It was good to be a part of that - I needed to be reminded that there were good times.

This weekend I'll go up to my friend's cabin in northern Wisconsin to help him with yard work and cleaning. We are coming back Sunday, so Monday I can do the same at my house. Maybe I'll get a chance to relax in there somewhere...
Old 05-24-2018, 11:29 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I’m so glad things went well with your family, Marty. Not only was it not acrimonious, but it actually brought fondness.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:53 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi weekenders...I'll be here sober 💜

It's another Bank Holiday here in the UK so it's also a long weekend.

Oh and Monday is my 1st year sober anniversary 🎉🎉🎉
Old 05-24-2018, 01:28 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

WOW!! That’s fantastic, Nova!
Old 05-24-2018, 01:28 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lipstuck View Post
I quit smoking when I found out I was pregnant. I only smoke now at parties. I consider it my trade out for drinking.
Ive been using my sobriety as an excuse. I am not like you though, i smoke quite regularly, half pack a day. Someone wrote that quitting drinking and not quitting smoking is like switching seats on the titanic. And also mentioned it is still taking you out of the moment, the present. I have only had 2 so far today which isn't too bad for me. Sorry I know this isn't a quitting smoking thread, it's just a goal in mind for my weekend.

I worked at my sponsor's escape rooms today, ran around the tourist town, checking businesses to see if they had the rack cards in them. Its sure getting hot out there already. Time to hit the river soon. Hope y'all are having a good Friday!
Old 05-24-2018, 01:51 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by goodbyeevan View Post
Sorry I know this isn't a quitting smoking thread, it's just a goal in mind for my weekend.
Yes, it’s true, GBE—technically it is a quitting drinking thread and not a quitting cigarettes thread—but at the root of quitting any obsessive behavior is the concept of sobriety.

This thread is about moving beyond self-destructive behavior and advancing to something better.

Sobriety encompasses more than just putting pesky habits aside; it is a conviction that we are put here for a reason—that our lives have real value, and we have the capacity to truly matter in our spheres.

It is a dedication to discovering nobler character traits, applying them to our personal lives, and sharing them with others.

Emotional and spiritual sobriety fills our lives with quality and substance.

We keep one another afloat on this thread as fellow adventurers!
Old 05-24-2018, 02:04 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Beautiful words Gilmer, thank you. I like that explanation of sobriety.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:13 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Yeah Weekenders is definitely not just about booze. Ken (Weasel1966) would post about drug use. Like Snufkin I found quitting ciggies relatively easy but really struggled with the booze. I suspect that is because I was only 27 or 28 when I quit tobacco. My two cents worth is that obviously giving up both is ideal but I think I would only quit tobacco after I had accumulated a couple of months sobriety in order to maximise the chances of staying sober. As I say that is just my opinion and it might well be different for others.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:52 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you MLD. I'm glad you got some positive feelings from the Chi-town trip. It's not easy, regardless.

Well said on the sobriety and meaning of life thing, Gilmer.

No words of wisdom from me except smoking = yuck. It was relapse city for me with smoking, I finally got down to two smokes a day and was able to quit - a very long time ago. Smoking and drinking were pretty tightly linked for me. We used to be able to smoke everywhere too, kids.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:43 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Calling STDragon!

I just heard a really good clip on the Feel Good Music Thread.

Have you and your daughter heard of the Ka’au Crater Boys?

I have never heard the ukulele played like that in my life!

Unfortunately I can’t show the permalink on my phone.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:09 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Just got back from seeing the new Han Solo movie in theaters. Sat in the second to last row and the teenage boys behind us were atrocious. Talked and laughed through the whole thing and at one point popcorn got thrown at me. I should have paused. Instead I whirled around and said "wtf is wrong with you". I felt a surge of illogical anger that reminded me of how I felt sometimes when I got drunk and upset Although I wanted to say other things and shame them I stayed quiet and tried to enjoy the rest of the movie. I usually avoid movie theaters at all costs but since getting sober I'm trying to do new things and my bf is a big star wars fan so I went. Glad to be home.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:19 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I’m sorry that you didn’t act 100% the way you hoped to act—but the little monsters surely had it coming!

Wouldn’t do them any harm to feel sheepish in a public place!
Old 05-24-2018, 07:45 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you pulled back GBE - they can be mighty good button pushers but in the end kids are just kids. I goofed off in cinemas and had a smart mouth too.

Don't let it rent anymore space in your head.

D
Old 05-24-2018, 07:46 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
....Sobriety encompasses more than just putting pesky habits aside; it is a conviction that we are put here for a reason—that our lives have real value, and we have the capacity to truly matter in our spheres...
Old 05-24-2018, 08:02 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I should have been in bed long ago, but I just seem to keep babbling into the night!
Old 05-24-2018, 08:04 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Morning, weekenders.

I am up early and today I am making a difficult choice (for me): trading morning running time for writing.

Since I am here, on business trip, I hardly have time to myself and I can't' make even a paragraph of writing and it bothers me big time.

So, I am taking this me time to put me back into writing state of mind.

Have a good one, weekenders.