Notices

AA birthday

Old 05-16-2018, 06:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA birthday

My friend in AA celebrated 15 years today. We were in AA together 14 years ago. Her kids were there. All grown up now. I can't sleep thinking of how different my life could have been. She put in the hard yards and I wasn't ready to give up drinking. I am so proud of her . I guess I am just feeling sorry for myself plus a little jealous.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's not to late to start and continue improving your own life
Old 05-16-2018, 07:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Don't beat yourself up... Use the feeling as motivation moving forward, Sweetichick.

Five years from now, all of us will be five years older no matter what. YOU have the power to create the change you want in your life. Do you want to have created change in your life by then?

Looking back with regret can immobilize you... or motivate you.

You can do it!
Old 05-16-2018, 07:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You've got to start your own journey down this path. There's room for us all. You can be just as awesome as your friend. Get going, like someone earlier said, we're all just living one day at a time. Come join us in sober recovery!
Old 05-16-2018, 07:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sweetichick View Post
My friend in AA celebrated 15 years today. We were in AA together 14 years ago. Her kids were there. All grown up now. I can't sleep thinking of how different my life could have been. She put in the hard yards and I wasn't ready to give up drinking. I am so proud of her . I guess I am just feeling sorry for myself plus a little jealous.
theres proof that it works IF ya work it. im certain she didnt get the magical mystical instant recovery thing people can want- she probably had to bust her but off for it.
why not follow in her footsteps? dump the wine ya bought out and get to a meeting? start working the steps?
doesnt matter what age a person is, there is a great life waiting without chaos,drama, and all that comes with active alcoholism.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It’s never to late to start.

I felt the same way you did, sweetichick. I went to therapy and joined sr in 2012, 90 days sober. I got 6 months, thinking I was doing the work but felt aa was “not for me.” Then I drank.

For three months, I lurked on here and read all my friends on the May 2012 thread I’d been a part of. They got 9 months, 10 months... I could have been them but I was back to drinking.

Then in February 2013 I got sick of feeling sorry for myself, sick of feeling like a failure, sick of feeling sick really. So I quit again. Tried everything. I didn’t feel I had the right to say anything wasn’t “right for me,” since I wasn’t sober. I didn’t have the luxury of saying no to anything, cause I hadn’t found what worked yet.

Thankfully, aa did work for me. The steps taught me how to live sober, live life on life’s terms, and deal with things without grabbing a bottle.

Go for it. You can have 15 years too. If you start today it’ll be exactly 15 years from now.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary. Remember hearing that at AA years ago haha
Old 05-16-2018, 09:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds like good leverage to not drink anymore.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can relate to that - even when I come back on here and people I "started" with followed through and are now much further along.

However, it just reiterates the fact that I DO NOT want to go back off the wagon. Because I want what they have
Old 05-16-2018, 01:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Originally Posted by sweetichick View Post
She put in the hard yards and I wasn't ready to give up drinking.
You will put in "hard yards" whether you give up drinking or not.

Not drinking will show you rewards in the months and years ahead that you likely can't even imagine right now. Think long term as you now consider your choices, and then when you quit, take it one day at a time.

You'll eventually look back and say ... Why didn't I do that sooner?
Old 05-16-2018, 03:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi sweetichick

I used to feel that way, but looking back I've done more in the last decade than I did in the twenty years before that.

I really believe it's never too late to change & become who you want to be

D
Old 05-16-2018, 06:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Sweeti,

I'm so glad you were at a meeting today. Use your friend as inspiration, and next May you can celebrate your first birthday. I cannot wait to post on that thread!!!

❤️Delilah
Old 05-16-2018, 11:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Like other's have said; use it as motivation sweetichick. You can't change the past, but you have the ability to influence the future. Try not to worry too much about things you have no control over (the past). What do you want your future to look like? What steps can you take to reach your goals?

Glad to hear you're attending AA. What else are you doing for your recovery?

You CAN do this, sweetichick
Old 05-17-2018, 06:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Many years ago I went to an AA meeting while in college. I listened to what they said, left and didn't go back. During the next 3 decades I attended a handful of meetings and picked up a few chips. In June of 2014 I picked up a 24 hour chip, got a sponsor and worked the program. I haven't had drink since that day.

I have met friends my age with 30 years, 30 months, 30 days and 30 hours of sobriety. For awhile I too thought about what if.......... Today I no longer have those regrets. I realize I am exactly where I need to be, at the time and place that I was directed be.

Waking up sober daily, being grateful for all that I have - not what I don't have, the past has become my greatest asset. I am available to love, care and help others. This is my only purpose. The rest is noise.

Trudge forward, grasp what's right in front and don't look back is my experience.

You don't have to drink.