Notices

Recovery chip

Old 05-06-2018, 12:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery chip

Hi,

I am trying to stop drinking and I am at dat 12. About 2 years ago I decided to stop drinking with AA but since I am not a religious person, I did not really like it. The only thing I really enjoyed was the chip. I remember how much it helped to carry my 1 month chip on me. Now I am at day 12 and I don't plan on going to AA this time but I would like to have something meantful after the 1st month, 6 months, 1 year, etc. Anybody has some ideas what that could be. I might buy my own recovery chips online but I don't really like the prayer that is written on the AA one...

If someone has an idea it would be very helpul!
Old 05-06-2018, 12:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am not sure where the group finds them, but I know of an "all recovery" group here (it's at a place called The Zone in Marietta, GA) that gives bands for milestones. Plastic, different colors (like the ones you see for all kinds of causes).

Perhaps google recovery bands or something like milestone markers (maybe they don't necessarily have to be related to recovery but are something that connects with you). Good luck in your journey.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's funny I've thought about this myself.

Considered those beaded bracelets (wife would kill me) or a coin saying Momento Mori on it.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you! I'll look for them.

Yes it does not need to be recovery related. I am thinking about a watch or something like that. Anyway, my real reward is to be sober!
Old 05-06-2018, 12:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can get those plastic wristbands printed with personalised message on them online. Maybe sobriety date plus a slogan or message. Pretty cheap to get made. Lots of colours to pick from.

I have two. Sobriety date and "no matter what" one one. Food abstinence date and "no matter what" on the other.

A lady i know has a Pandora bracelet with a charm added for each year of sobriety she reaches.

Is pretty personal to you.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah Lessgravity I think for my first month it will be just a coin with something I like on it. It just needs to have a meaning so that I can put it in my hands if I feel like drinking.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Peaceful, I like that idea too. I remember ordering some custom plastic wristband for a school project. Thanks for the idea!!
Old 05-06-2018, 12:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I like the idea also
Good luck on 12 days
Fantastic xxx
Old 05-06-2018, 12:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Etsy has plenty of people who make stuff like this. Think I'm headed there tonight. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

you could also check out a 12 step shop? they have tons of recovery stuff, all kinds of coins, etc.

i like the idea that you want a sobriety ******** of sorts. good for you!!!