Notices

Feeling down

Old 05-04-2018, 05:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling down

Firstly I don’t know if I’m a newcomer at this point or not. I’m 124 days which I only track now because of an app but still feel pretty new in relation emotionally. lately I’m feeling so down and completely antisocial. I get irritated at the mention of a late night out when my husband suggests one, I feel pissy about bachelorettes that I’ve been invited to, and don’t feel like hanging out with friends. I’m pretty sure it all swings back to that events seem to center around alcohol, partying and social drinking, but what if it’s not because of that? Has anyone dealt with this? Does this go away? I feel like I generally don’t like people lol but I know I do!!

Also I appreciate the responses I read them and often re-read them but I’m not a big responder, but the people on here have been such a support system for me, so thanks!
Old 05-04-2018, 06:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your feelings are completely normal. I have 18 months sober this following week and I still have no interest in events and gatherings that focus on celebrating with alcohol - that I partook in before sobriety. I needed to build a brand new circle of friends which I was lucky to find in AA. I was fortunate that my husband gave up drinking (for the most part) to support me although I don't mind if he socially drinks outside of our home. Overall, I needed to totally overhaul my lifestyle. I am slowly developing other interests and am selective about who I befriend and allow in my life.

Have you tried a sobriety support group like AA or Rational Recovery? Feeling antisocial is common but it really is healthy to try to connect with others who are on this same journey.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

124 days is fantastic!

It does take a lot of change in lifestyle, I think, to support your recovery. It might involve new/different social activities and maybe changing some friends. Maybe you can find something to do with your friends that doesn't involve alcohol.