Notices

Finally taking sobriety seriously

Old 04-03-2018, 07:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Alv

So I’m back at day 1 again after slipping over the weekend.

Not that further clarity was required, but proof that abstinence is the only path forward for me. That I can’t have just one beer.

The last couple of weeks have given me a glimmer of what life will be like for me when I beat this thing.

A plan in place:

- Really focus on understanding my triggers and changing behaviours where necessary. Two big things for me are social pressure; feeling that I’ll be missing out on something if I don’t join the party. And secondly long distance rail travel. In the immediate term I’m going to double down focus on building relationships which don’t involve drinking. Next time I grab a train, I’m going to attempt to travel with someone that will keep me accountable for staying sober.

- I have 2.5 weeks until my career break starts, during which I’ll be taking some down time away from the city, and focusing on my own well-being. I’m planning on a new start in a new city after that, but I know that I can’t just run away from the problem and must make some fundamental changes during my downtime to maximise my chances of success moving forwards.

I saw this video on YouTube earlier. Jordan Peterson on why certain people can’t stop drinking after they start. I’m not sure how valid his claims are, but they basically explain exactly how I feel when I drink. I’m intrigued - https://youtu.be/r6WQEGULvH8

Feeling angry with myself for failing. But sober time quickly accumulates; very thankful that all I have to contend with today is a hangover. No major withdrawals to work through as I start the clock again this week.