Notices

I'm a functioning alcoholic cutting down

Old 03-07-2018, 01:11 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maxjm View Post
Yes I am and waking all hours.
I am going to stop completely. This is day 4 of complete sobriety. I have read all the views and it's making me anxious so I'm going to stop now as I don't want to drink at all.
I'm no doctor and this isn't medical advice..When I was being "good" and only drinking,not even getting "drunk" every now/then..I had worse night sweats than when I was going 200mph with the bottle. I think,again just my opinion, that it was my body making me uncomfortable so I would feed it more poison OR screaming at me to 'knock it the hell off already!". When I quit-quit the sweats went away in like 5-10 days. Back to my moderation being harder thing. Also, my moderation always led back to full drinking shenanigans eventually. Maybe a few months and sometimes in days. too much work and I'm too lazy. LOL
Old 03-07-2018, 01:18 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yes I am and waking all hours.
I am going to stop completely. This is day 4 of complete sobriety. I have read all the views and it's making me anxious so I'm going to stop now as I don't want to drink at all.

max, it brought a smile to my face reading this.
we have seen many,many times here people believing they are exceptions to the rule- that moderation is possible for them even though many people shared their experience with the moderation attempt. some of them were able to make it back here and say it( the drinking) got worse- alcoholism progressed.

it would be wise to look into the recovery programs/plans available to help ya learn how to live life without alcohol.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:58 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never got my pet unicorn... and I tried for 20 years

Welcome aboard maxjm

D
Old 03-07-2018, 05:25 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Very glad to hear this.

Start with not drinking this weekend, thats a good idea. See how you feel. If you continue it does get easier over time.

Sobriety is for life but you get there one minute/hour/day/week/month/year/decade at a time.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:26 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by golfreggie View Post
Just a thought after reading your post, I don't think it is possible to relapse from "moderation". Moderation suggests partaking, maybe increasing the interval until you find yourself realizing you don't need it, huh? I have found that for me, just the thought of trying to moderate is proof enough to me that "I have a problem". I saw my bottom before hitting it and the thought came to me that my next drink would kill me. For me, when drinking ceased to be "inconvenient" and truly became "fatal", I committed in my heart of hearts that I was alcoholic and my life had become unmanageable. I suddenly listened, and started to try the suggestions that I heard and read. 27-1/2 years later, I still do it the same way. "God help me not to drink today, help me to become the man you want me to be, and thank you for helping me to be a sober man today. Help me to be of service to others, and to realize that with your help, I can truly live this day without alcohol or drugs." God bless you as you walk thru your life and find what life has in store for you. I am encouraged that you are at least on this forum. Perhaps someone will personally come in to your life and offer his experience, strength and hope and you will want what he has and become willing to go to any length to get it. God bless
Thank you. I've decided to to not moderate and stop completely. Reading all the threads of others and time to think over the past few days I think it was naive of me to think this is possible. I'm going on holiday next week and already panicking that my partner has suggested nice pubs to eat. And I was given a bottle of wine from a colleague yesterday for my birthday. (Which i have locked in the study and plan to give away). These feelings I'm experiencing is telling me it has control over me. I WILL NOT HAVE THAT BOTTLE OF WINE ON SATURDAY. I have said to my partner I'm on a healthy diet for now so NOT drinking. I thought he knew??? He's never been happy with my drinking I thought he would be encouraging me he's not a drinker himself.
I slept well for the first time last night now 6 days of sobriety I hope tomorrow at bed time I can come back here and say 7
Old 03-09-2018, 05:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
Very glad to hear this.

Start with not drinking this weekend, thats a good idea. See how you feel. If you continue it does get easier over time.

Sobriety is for life but you get there one minute/hour/day/week/month/year/decade at a time.
6 days yay! I'll be back tomorrow with 7 👊
Old 03-09-2018, 06:08 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Well done max👍
Old 03-09-2018, 06:13 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

This is similar to what I have tried. It always resulted in some level of success but in the end I was never able to hang on.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:17 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Maxjm, so glad you decided to take the route of health and happiness. You are taking back your life.

And, yeah. Alcohol had me as its groveling slave. I am free now.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:25 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Welcome, Maxjm. I am very glad you are here. SR has been a huge part of my getting and staying sober. 6 days is excellent!
I tried many times to moderate and it just didn't work; when it comes to alcohol I have no 'off' switch. Once I get started there is no stopping and it always leads me to very dark and dangerous places. I considered myself a functioning alcoholic until suddenly I wasn't--once you reach that tipping point it all goes downhill-quickly. It's easier just to not drink rather than obsess over the next one, and sometimes it is necessary to surrender to win the battle. Wishing you all the best on your sober journey.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:07 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Verdantia View Post
Welcome, Maxjm. I am very glad you are here. SR has been a huge part of my getting and staying sober. 6 days is excellent!
I tried many times to moderate and it just didn't work; when it comes to alcohol I have no 'off' switch. Once I get started there is no stopping and it always leads me to very dark and dangerous places. I considered myself a functioning alcoholic until suddenly I wasn't--once you reach that tipping point it all goes downhill-quickly. It's easier just to not drink rather than obsess over the next one, and sometimes it is necessary to surrender to win the battle. Wishing you all the best on your sober journey.
Thanks guys for helping me see the light!
You'll never know how much you've helped me already! I hope like you all I can be an inspiration to others some day and help them get through this. So glad I found myself here with such support it feels like I'm not alone and makes me feel stronger.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:01 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks guys for helping me see the light!
You'll never know how much you've helped me already! I hope like you all I can be an inspiration to others some day and help them get through this. So glad I found myself here with such support it feels like I'm not alone and makes me feel stronger.
And you can be...pop in and give newcomer's a nudge with your newfound sober wisdom. Glad you're giving sobriety a go.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:20 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
And you can be...pop in and give newcomer's a nudge with your newfound sober wisdom. Glad you're giving sobriety a go.
Day 8 I did it! It's Sunday morning! I slept well and not hanging! The first Sunday in 26 years. Yesterday I got a call I got promoted! I do feel i need to find some local aa meetings. I'm trying so hard to remain positive. I look at my extended family and most are alcoholics 2 have died a terrible death in the last 2 years. My aunt has become a cripple in a wheelchair. 2 in prison. My dad is an Alcoholic. Seems to be in the genes. I want to break the cycle.
I don't want to die.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:50 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

" I just thought cutting down to once a week was a good start..."

And it was, good and necessary, since it brought you to your current acceptance of reality. So happy for you!

Remember, putting on one shoe for a race is a "good start,"

but having BOTH ON is the only way to go!
Old 03-12-2018, 11:51 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Day 8 I did it! It's Sunday morning! I slept well and not hanging! The first Sunday in 26 years. Yesterday I got a call I got promoted! I do feel i need to find some local aa meetings. I'm trying so hard to remain positive. I look at my extended family and most are alcoholics 2 have died a terrible death in the last 2 years. My aunt has become a cripple in a wheelchair. 2 in prison. My dad is an Alcoholic. Seems to be in the genes. I want to break the cycle.
I don't want to die.
Good for you and keep on, it will get easier.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:11 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Maxim,
Your promotion is just one of many more blessings headed your way.
Keep up your walk in sobriety. Your life is about to get so much better now that you have kick the Beast to the curb.
Way to go.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:46 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on day 8

D