Old 03-04-2018, 07:50 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

How's it going today, Alc123?
Old 03-04-2018, 12:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
I always caveat my cold turkey choice with "IME and IMO" and such. It's certainly not the choice for many. For ME, I was DONE with alcohol and could not stand the thought of another drop into my body. Yes, I suffered greatly- but again, I would do it the same way- the suffering i went through AFTER quitting is not something I am ever willing to go through again. It was also a small price to pay for what I did to my body. Perhaps I sound pugilistic or such to some folks, but again....this is just what I chose.
Small price? Depending on your consumption and length of addiction, you could have died. Even though I have tapered several times, I have obviously done cold turkey before and have had hallucinations and the works. Nothing quite like waking up from a night terror and seeing a clown holding a large knife in one hand and waving with the other by your bedroom door, getting up and grabbing a weapon and then seeing the image slowly pixilate into dust. If my only choices are between passive aggressive clowns with knives or getting benzos from a doc...
Old 03-04-2018, 12:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Tapering for me subdues my withdrawals, and I get them rough with epilepsy, so I almost always taper... though lately I've just stopped here and there when I feel partied out.

The problem for me is, the taper makes me think I can moderate, then the old patterns sneak in.

I need to realize that moderation is so much of a struggle, it's not worth it. I always mess it up... so I have to drop it.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobersolstice View Post
Tapering for me subdues my withdrawals, and I get them rough with epilepsy, so I almost always taper... though lately I've just stopped here and there when I feel partied out.

The problem for me is, the taper makes me think I can moderate, then the old patterns sneak in.

I need to realize that moderation is so much of a struggle, it's not worth it. I always mess it up... so I have to drop it.

I agree with this 100%. I have to be FULLY committed to the taper. Not just a reason to buy another bottle and be “not as drunk”. I drank lots of h20, coconut h20, ACV water and whatever healthy foods I could keep down. I could never justify buying another bottle to “taper” if I wasn’t fully committed to that. For me, I have ended up in the ER and that was of because severe dehydration. I hadn’t drank for 24 + hours, but I couldn’t even keep h20 down. I couldn’t even think about food. This was coming off of a 5 day bender and most likely I didn’t eat right or take vitamins or drink anything other than vodka. It was awful, awful.

How are you doing today??
Old 03-04-2018, 06:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I did it cold turkey - the only thing done were liver function, Thiamin and Vit B tests, and I just stayed on the sleep meds I had been prescribed and added Antabuse for the first 90 days. I never went to a dr office or hospital for any of the immediate (first few weeks) or prolonged (months- in some ways to first year) PAWS I experienced.
What were the sleep meds you were prescribed? Weren’t they a benzo? Then this is a medical detox, August. I think you are misunderstanding what quitting cold turkey really means. I apologize if I’m wrong, but I think you’ve mentioned that you used Ativan to come off alcohol. This is the same medication used in a hospital setting for detoxing off alcohol! So if this is what happened in your case, you did not quit cold turkey. Cold turkey probably would have killed you.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:13 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Respectfully guys, I am not the topic of this discussion. Regarding the ativan it came later. Seroquel (see https://www.drugs.com/seroquel.html) is an antipsyhcotic, with an "off label use" for sleep, and a primary use for treatment/maintenance of adults (primarily) with things like BPD (which I displayed in full force WHILE drinking and do not have much or any evidence of now). Trazodone (see https://www.drugs.com/trazodone.html) is an antidepressant also used for sleep. During my first 90 days, as said I used Antabuse, and campral til close to the end of my first year, and we added Paxil about the same time.

Could we perhaps move away from my contributions? I was giving one alcoholic's perspective and am pretty sure I "get what cold turkey" is.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:30 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Sorry, August, I misunderstood earlier posts of yours. It is surprising though that your doctor gave you those other meds but didn’t give you something for withdrawals. Regardless, I’m glad you made it through. Must have been scary.

Alc, I hope you’re doing ok and sorry to hijack your thread. I do get concerned when people talk about going cold turkey as it is very dangerous. I myself have successfully tapered in the past and used benzos to come off alcohol. I’ve also gone to detox at hospitals. Unfortunately, I still end up relapsing months or years later. I’m currently 4 months sober.

Seeing your doctor is always best.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:47 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Respectfully guys, I am not the topic of this discussion.
The topic is tapering, which pretty much any discussion of is considered medical advice, so can't really share too much there.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:53 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lets get back to the OP (original poster).
Tangential squabbles are probably best confined to PM.

Dee74
SR