Notices

Trying to cope

Old 03-05-2018, 02:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to cope

I ended up in the hospital from falling and hitting my head on the ground. I was on my way to work and drunk, somehow I drove to a gas station, but don't remember leaving my house. I drank to calm my anxiety and depression. That was 5 days ago. I am done drinking my feelings.
I am struggling with extreme guilt, fear, and depression as well. My husband is my only confidant. I lost an hour, that's all it took. Thankfully, I had something watching over me and got me to that gas station safe, and without a dwi. I can't stop obsessing about that lost hour, and the shame of my husband, dad, and sister seeing me belligerent and drunk in the hospital.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR, soberquest. We're so glad to have you with us.

I'm sorry for the situation you were in, but this never has to happen to you again. I'm glad you're ok. Please try not to feel ashamed. No one sets out to ruin their life by drinking - we always think we'll be able to control it. Try to focus on yourself & your recovery for now. We're here to help.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you. I'm trying to keep positive and remind myself dwelling on the past won't change it, and to focus on my future with sobriety. Finding this site has made it much easier
Old 03-05-2018, 02:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome soberquest. Being here is a great step as you work towards your recovery - there are so many great resources and great people who will stand with you and support you. I identify with much of what you wrote - from "drinking your feelings" to the events that led you to decide to stop drinking. Best of luck on your journey, looking forward to getting to know you.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Very sorry to hear you went through a terrible experience. Try to look at what you went through as a wake up call that changes need to be made. It's great that your taking this seriously, but try not to beat on yourself. You have a chance to use that experience to your advantage. Make this a turning point in your life. Sounds like life was sending you a message. Take care. John
Old 03-05-2018, 03:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope this is a turning point and that you can get sober for good.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had a similar last day soberquest - could have been much worse, but it was enough for me to turn my life around.

glad you found us - welcome!
Old 03-05-2018, 04:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Soberquest!

It sounds like you're ready to change your life. You will find lots of support here.