Notices

Class Of March 2018 Support Thread - Part One

Old 03-02-2018, 09:34 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hi Nichole,

I just wrote about my experience with denial in another post...I totally understand how hard it is to face up to your addiction.

I went to a meeting yesterday where we talked a bit about that, and strategies to counteract the voice in your head telling you to go ahead and drink, it'll be fine. The facilitator offered some options that I think I'll try. One option was to make a concrete representation that reminds you of what happens when you drink, how crappy you feel the next day, the consequences. And how you feel when you don't drink. It's basically a physical reminder of the "playing the tape forward" exercise - whether it's a written list of the negative consequences of drinking, a picture of your kids, or even some kind of token or symbol, similar to the AA poker chips. One guy suggested to take a photo of your bank account balance as your ; P Good luck, and hope you have a good day.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:37 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by xxxNICHOLExxx View Post
Welcome anyone new!!!
So one thing has been bugging me and I’m pretty sure it’s holding me back I’m still in denial about my addictions I can’t make myself except it..... on top of that i don’t know if it’s my addiction voice but at the moment I have a voice telling me there is nothing wrong with your drinking go a head and while your at it go a head and smoke pot its okay too it’s going to be one of those days
That is the classic AV. Put up your guard.

That is the same AV that told me after 16 days last months, I could get some whiskey and play my guitar and have a blast, but just for one night. I had a blast and paid for it the next 14 days. My AV even convinced me to just ride it out and get sober March 1st. Which I, of course, obliged.

I went 90 days back in late 2016 and made up for with a 2017 roll-coaster, on and off and on and off, and up and down, up and down.

Please don't be fooled. We're here for you!
Old 03-02-2018, 09:39 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JayTee33 View Post
Hi Nichole,

I just wrote about my experience with denial in another post...I totally understand how hard it is to face up to your addiction.

I went to a meeting yesterday where we talked a bit about that, and strategies to counteract the voice in your head telling you to go ahead and drink, it'll be fine. The facilitator offered some options that I think I'll try. One option was to make a concrete representation that reminds you of what happens when you drink, how crappy you feel the next day, the consequences. And how you feel when you don't drink. It's basically a physical reminder of the "playing the tape forward" exercise - whether it's a written list of the negative consequences of drinking, a picture of your kids, or even some kind of token or symbol, similar to the AA poker chips. One guy suggested to take a photo of your bank account balance as your ; P Good luck, and hope you have a good day.
Yes, play the tape. It's the same song every time. I know the tape theory well JT.

Great advice!
Old 03-02-2018, 10:52 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Thanks JT and NT
I know that alcoholism is a very complex disorder and it can be very tricky at times!!! I really don’t understand what alcoholism truly is and how is works!!!!! Other then I know it feeds off our insecurities, emotions well basically everything I have 0 control and it’s brings me to my knees every time...,had many close calls lucky to be alive and been arrested over drinking in my younger days but yet I still convince myself I can moderate ha no such thing and days where I think I have no problem it’s normal because everyone else I know is the same way!!! wish acceptance of what I am would hurry I tell myself everyday but still denial...story of my life... sry I just needed to vent!!! To much thinking today
Hoping everyone’s day is going good!!! Take care y’all
Old 03-02-2018, 12:47 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

xNx...It is complex and difficult to comprehend.

That's what we did where I am from, to be cool, we drank. And my parents were divorced, so, I wasn't getting much attention anyway.

I was arrested for underage drinking and got a DUI about a month after I turned 21, but I only drank beer. Then I started smoking pot for the next 10 years and stayed out of trouble for the most part.

Then one day at a party, I was about 29-30 years old, someone offered me a martini. I didn't like it, but my mind did. That's when it all began. It triggered something. It was like a missing link. It made me more social, and I was able to think faster. I swear it made smarter. Could be, I was just a later bloomer and a whole coincidence?

Sometimes my wife will say, did you just drink 5 cups of coffee.....and I say yep. She says, I can tell. Of course, that's not the case at all. That's the effect it has on me.

I can put a bottle of Jameson away throughout a whole day on a Saturday and still be fully functional. The next day is hell now, but it wasn't always like that it. There was a time when I enjoyed it, I'm just addicted to it now.

It's a crazy paradox. It's called alcoholism and it runs in my family. It skipped a generation and whacked me. I bet if I never tried hard whiskey, I wouldn't be an alcohol per say.

But I keep my head up and I work hard. I've been to many, many countries for work that I could've never imagined. But alcoholism doesn't have the ability to differentiate the good from the bad. So, we have to eliminate it or be eliminated.....Haven't figured that one out yet.

Don't ever quit on yourself. You have your whole life ahead of you.

It's very impressive that you have the insight that you do! Believe in yourself.

Just as importantly, let's get the support and the help we need!
Old 03-02-2018, 04:51 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome SayAnything and Max

D
Old 03-02-2018, 05:03 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I hope everyone is having a nice Friday/Weekend.

We're getting pummeled with strong sustained winds here in the north east PA.

Trees down all over and lost power for 10 minutes. It's back on now, but I can say I'm quite stressed, but holding my own. I'll definitely not drink tonight though.

I did the responsible thing instead and got kerosene and take-out dinner in case we lose power over night. We'll at least have heat!

Have a good night gang and I'll see you all in the a.m.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:29 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I’m always told post before you drink so here I am!!!
I’m trying everything I can right now not to drink and chill out but I’m not doing so hot feels like about to lose my cool and say ****!!!! This isn’t the way I’m wanting to spend my Friday night just wanted a nice quiet evening!!!

Last edited by Dee74; 03-02-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:12 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Hey Nichole, you did the right thing coming here. Sorry that you're having a tough time, but we're here for you to talk to if you need it. Is there something in particular that's bothering you tonight? Anything you can turn your mind to that you enjoy to distract you? A good movie, exercise, crafting, whatever?

I had a bit of a rough day myself, got pretty stressed about a few things going on re. my job and a health issue (unrelated to my addiction) that I'm on the path to getting dealt with. I didn't really get a hard craving, but the stupid AV in the back of my head did momentarily think "you wouldn't feel all this stress and pain if you had had some wine." In any case, I got through the day sober, though it wasn't really a good day. And I know I'll feel better tomorrow than I would have had I drank.

You can do this!
Old 03-02-2018, 06:22 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

I’m always told post before you drink so here I am!!!
I’m trying everything I can right now not to drink and chill out but I’m not doing so hot feels like about to lose my cool and say f*ck!!!! This isn’t the way I’m wanting to spend my Friday night just wanted a nice quiet evening!!!
Don't lose your time sober over a few hours at night. That is what I tell myself in these situations. Because tomorrow will be at your door step regardless.

Follow some of JTs suggestions to keep yourself occupied. This is what we have to do until we develop positive habits and momentum.

We have to build on it one day at a time. You got this!
Old 03-02-2018, 06:26 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

JT sorry you had a rough day!!!

I’m very irritable at the moment getting worked up racing thoughts can’t set still kind of feeling like I’m on a path to self destruction (reality escape on anything) I’m trying to think before I react at the moment I can’t find anything to distract myself cause my mind is all over the place
Old 03-02-2018, 06:28 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Hi, Nichole!
It's good that you reached out. I spent my day at work,but struggled afterwards because work is stressful and my way to unwind is to immediately start in on the wine. I stopped at the store and had a hard time not buying any. Know you're not alone. You can do this. It's one day at a time for me.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:34 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Thanks sayanything JT And NT
Sayanything good job on not buying the wine
Old 03-02-2018, 06:39 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi, just popped in to say hello to all the Marchers 2018.

We go through lots of emotions when we stop drinking, but recognising what it is, helps. They do pass...... SR has helped me greatly. Support and friendship is brilliant and helps us all reach our aim, to stop drinking, then keep stopped.

All the best on your journey, there is so much good life after stopping.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:03 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Administrator

In the early days I had some rough nights where I simply could not settle...but I always woke up eternally grateful I didn't drink last night - stay with us guys - it gets easier

D
Old 03-02-2018, 07:14 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Just went to a fun dinner with friends . It feels so good to come home , wash my make up off and fix a glass of sparkling water. My connections to the conversations felt stronger , and I know I will wake up refreshed . Well , off to bed for me. Tomorrow begins day 4 for me . I like this feeling.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:19 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

JT sorry you had a rough day!!!

I’m very irritable at the moment getting worked up racing thoughts can’t set still kind of feeling like I’m on a path to self destruction (reality escape on anything) I’m trying to think before I react at the moment I can’t find anything to distract myself cause my mind is all over the place
Get out paper and pen or type it out - what are the pros and cons of getting wasted? What good will come from smoking a joint or downing a bottle of booze?
How often do we feel happy that we got wasted?
How triumphant do we feel when we managed to remain sober through the challenge?
You know the answers I'm sure.. Don't drink, you are worth more than that...
Old 03-02-2018, 07:26 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Red78 View Post
Get out paper and pen or type it out - what are the pros and cons of getting wasted? What good will come from smoking a joint or downing a bottle of booze?
How often do we feel happy that we got wasted?
How triumphant do we feel when we managed to remain sober through the challenge?
You know the answers I'm sure.. Don't drink, you are worth more than that...
Thanks Red!!! Glad to hear from you hopefully your doing okay!!! Thanks for the advice and support!!! It’s always appreciated
Old 03-02-2018, 07:27 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pixiedust78 View Post
Just went to a fun dinner with friends . It feels so good to come home , wash my make up off and fix a glass of sparkling water. My connections to the conversations felt stronger , and I know I will wake up refreshed . Well , off to bed for me. Tomorrow begins day 4 for me . I like this feeling.
Congrats on staying sober keep it up
Old 03-02-2018, 07:32 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Thanks Red!!! Glad to hear from you hopefully your doing okay!!! Thanks for the advice and support!!! It’s always appreciated
I'm well, day 8 for me.. Tomorrow will be a big test as I'm meeting an old friend from when I lived in edinburgh, we are meeting in AUckland and staying in the city centre, this will be a big trigger for me and hopefully I can get through it..