Notices

increasing reluctance to share at IRL meetings....

Old 02-27-2018, 03:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

increasing reluctance to share at IRL meetings....

and wondering whether others have went through this.

I was never that keen on sharing my personal experience in detail, from the inception, and when I do, I've kept my participation brief. Never really thought much about it until yesterday, when I realized that I offer less and less the more and more I go.

The more sobriety I have, the more I've been leaning into life. I sense more, feel more, am more aware, more perceptive, more receptive and am more action-oriented. Preceding this, I've spent a lot of time sitting on motivation, on emotion -- on life, without doing too much towards effectuating much of anything. I feel less reflective, more effective, and with a clear mind and a sense of direction, feel less inclined to articulate any misgivings or reservations or vulnerabilities or situational stressors at these meetings. But even when I've reflected more, I don't recall sharing all that much. I guess as time passes, there's a new normal. What once was. Without the alcohol. A new old. A better new.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Are you clean and feel this will keep you that way? Then go with it.
Are you still drinking and refusing to come to terms with it? Then that is a completely different story.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've never been to a meeting. Do you have to always share alcohol-related struggles or could you just share what you've just now written?

I will say, I'm in a similar boat as you in terms of leaning in to life. Less reflection and more action toward a goal is usually good. However, I would add that it's important to remember that with a new normal may come new disguises for your AV. As I build my new life, I always make sure to remind myself of what my drinking took away from me.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Are you talking about AA meetings specifically? If so, I'm wondering why your post doesn't mention the 12 Steps, which are the program of AA and the point of sharing personal experience in meetings in the first place.