Notices

Diazepam ( benzodiazepine) concern

Old 02-23-2018, 01:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dcg View Post
Diazepam isn't Xanax, but yeah, it sounds like four 7-day prescriptions for valium 4x daily.
This is correct but to be reviewed at an appointment next week .
At the appointment should I be offered I will refuse a repeat of diazepam as I know the dangers . I will discuss alternative ways around this but I really don't think the answers are in a pill bottle .
Old 02-23-2018, 01:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dcg View Post
Diazepam isn't Xanax, but yeah, it sounds like four 7-day prescriptions for valium 4x daily.
Thanks...got my generic names confused(was thinking of alprazolam). That makes way more sense. With my anxiety meds,OP..I only take on an 'as needed' basis. I don't follow my prescribed dosage. But,sometimes I do really need it(not in an addicted sense). I also used to eat these like candy back in my youth.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:41 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Sasha your response is very helpful and informative, thanks .

I have respect for our GP,s but fear that they are over burdened and have only 10 minutes or so to make very important decisions . Much of this is down to me in the end .

On SR I have tried to offer advice to others with regard to anxiety management due to the fact that I have read bookshelf s of books and had 2 courses of CBT over a 10 year period but here's the strange part ! One would think after a life time of suffering from problems with anxiety symptoms ( sometimes they were debilitating and needed hospital treatment ) I am not free of anxiety disorder ( I have good spells then go down again) . Why is this ? you would think with what I have learned I should have cured myself by now .

I am sober going on 7 months this time and honestly never consider drinking now ,I know deep in my heart this will never ever be an option for me, I accept this with every fiber of my being .

There is much to consider in the coming days and weeks .

I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your support

This Forum is second to none .

Love you all .
Old 02-23-2018, 02:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

hpdw, if there's an anxiety cure I never found it

I'm the least anxious I've ever been tho - and thats something

D
Old 02-24-2018, 03:21 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
hpdw, if there's an anxiety cure I never found it

I'm the least anxious I've ever been tho - and thats something

D
I agree Dee!

Well done on 7 months sober by the way.
Thats a great achievement.

As much as its not 'normal' to have 24 hour full on debilitating anxiety, I should imagine its not 'normal' to skip through life with no anxiety at all.

To me it also shows you care and love your family and your son.
If you didn't care you would not feel this bad.

As much as its not the best feeling in the world, its an indicator that you are a loving caring human being to me!!

I also really surprised myself after I stopped drinking with some of the situations I coped with.
My relationship broke down in a really bad way and I became a single mum.
I had serious health issues and I spent 2 months in hospital.
I was then made redundant and had to move house as I could not afford to live in the family home.

I never drank though!
I will always be proud of that and thankful to my family at SR for guiding me through that time.

Dee always talks about having a plan for recovery.
Could you have a plan for when your son comes home?

It might include boundaries like no drinking or bringing drink into the family home?

No swearing, raised voices or aggressive behaviour at home.

Contributing to the home in terms of helping out with cooking and housework maybe?

Wishing you the best xx
Old 02-24-2018, 10:35 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Great Dee i,m glad to hear your feeling better .

Sasha that's the thing hes an absolute pleasure to have around , he's clean and tidy ,loves cooking ,great DIY'r and great company in general . The neighbors all like him ,hes pleasant to the old community around us and offers help .

BUT !!!!! and I think you all know whats coming next !!!!! when he takes that first drink............................................. ......... fill in the blank.

Thanks all
Old 02-24-2018, 10:49 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Okay, so the boundary is, "There is no drinking or drugging. At the first sign of this, you're out - no discussions."

Of course, there are legal issues once you allow him to live in your home, and you won't be able to just make him leave. There is always the police if he is intoxicated, but then you'd still have to legally evict him.

Prayers that the kid sticks with sober.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:03 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Is he being fully released or released on parole/probation? I agree about the no drinking/drugging being a hard fast stipulation.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:18 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

When I told my GP that I believed I was an alcoholic he discontinued my Xanax prescription and I was terrified, but like alcohol, I have learned to live without it. I do have some leftover and I only take one when I get extremely anxious at work, which is not often, maybe once every 3 to 4 months. My severe anxiety manifests in crying jags that will not stop any other way, so it's necessary when I am working (since I stay in the loo until the Xanax kicks in lol) But now if it happens at home I take an OTC sleep aid which calms me enough to fall asleep. It's not ideal but its better than over using the Xanax, IMHO...
Old 02-24-2018, 11:45 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Diazepam = Valium.

They're all in the same family. Diazepam has a much longer half-life. Xanax is more often used for panic attacks and is very short acting.

As someone mentioned above, CBT therapy was very useful in managing anxiety without drugs.

Too bad you have to wait so long for a psych consult in the UK. Maybe your GPs are better trained.

FWIW I think it's very appropriate that benzo prescriptions are happening less and less often. It's not a good long term solution to anxiety. Tolerance develops and the physical withdrawal symptoms after long term use can be horrible.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:19 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I have been refereed into the NHS mental health system which can take many weeks . With regards to the diazepam ( Valium) I came clean and explained I have been collecting the prescription and storing them . The doctor wasn,t angry or annoyed she just wanted to reassure me about the dangers of addiction and advised me not to get myself in too much of an anxiety state and to take a small dose if really needed . She has noted that if I request a repeat of these in the future she will want to see me in person and not be prescribed otherwise .