Notices

Do the cravings ever go away? Fed up at day 24

Old 02-06-2018, 03:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

As much of this feedback says, the cravings DO go away and things WILL get much better! I was a heavy heavy wine drinker and was so sure I would never be able to move on as a glass of wine was my solution or go to for almost everything I did. One of the best things I ever did was I got rid of ALL and I mean ALL of the EVEREYTHINGS that reminded me of drinking - I got rid of all of my stemware, wine bottle openers, coasters, pictures, EVERYTHING that reminded me of drinking in my home. I've never had regrets doing this.

I'm glad you are here Professor and do keep the faith that things will get better!
Old 02-06-2018, 05:46 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

This is why it's so hard to stop...I remember thinking, if I'm going to feel this bad I might as well drink. I'm glad I didnt. Youve got to hang in there, Professor. It gets better. Stick close to sr, post about how you are feeling, and before you know it, the cravings will subside and you'll start feeling better. You're doing great. Keep going.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:08 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I totally understand how you feel ProfessorD but as others have said the cravings do eventually become subdued.

Congratulations on 24 days! That's wonderful.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:16 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

There seem to be two types of craving these days. The first comes about as the result of taking a drink. I found that impossible to overcome. Once on a bender I had to continue until it ran out of steam. That craving cannot exist when no alcohol is in the body.

The other is a desire to drink . In AA we call it the obsession of the mind. Without treatment, it comes back telling us that a drink would be nice, one couldn't hurt, and this time I will control it etc. The sane thoughts that should prevent one from drinking do not come to mind.

One of the founders of AA suffered from these kind of cravings for about two years. The were not a deal breaker however. By utilising the AA program he maintained an adequate defense against the first drink, and stayed sober up until his death. Others, like me, had all those issues removed when we got on with the program.

I am talking about my experience as a paricular type of alcoholic. In my experience nothing got better unless I took some definite action, in my case the steps.

Without those to treat my alcoholism, sobriety always got worse and always became so miserable that it was impossible to sustain. When I got to AA sobriety wasn't really my goal. I was more interested in finding a way out of the misery. They had a program for that, and sobriety was a kind of by-product, drinking ceased to hold any attraction, and a whole new world opened up.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:49 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
a craving can be like a toddler having a fit in the grocery store......sometimes you can find something else to soothe them, but sometimes you just have to abandon the cart and haul their screaming little butts out of the store.
GREAT comparison. And, like with a screaming toddler, you don't give in! You re-route, redirect, change the scenery. You change the atmosphere.

(Says someone 4 days sober, I'm trying!)
Old 02-06-2018, 08:52 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm right there with you ProfessorD. I'm at 25 days today, and somedays I feel like the cravings are ruling my life. I'm not actually sure they are "cravings" per se . . . but just maybe a habit of always having/thinking about wine. I guess it's more like obsessive thoughts about drinking. It ruined my whole Sunday for me. I usually putts around the house, wine in hand, doing housework, cooking for the week, etc . . . I just couldn't figure out how to do anything without the wine. I literally spent most of the day sitting around thinking of wine.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:54 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I can't really help at this point b/c I'm only on day 2. Can I just say how I hope to be at day 24 someday, just like you!? That's certainly something to be very proud of!

You can do this!
Old 02-06-2018, 01:36 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happyandfree View Post
if I'm going to feel this bad I might as well drink.
YES! that's exactly how I felt last night. I'm terrified by the feeling. I don't want to give up.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:37 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FitDrinker View Post
I can't really help at this point b/c I'm only on day 2. Can I just say how I hope to be at day 24 someday, just like you!? That's certainly something to be very proud of!

You can do this!

Thanks FitDrinker! I am really proud, and I'm going to keep fighting

You will get to 24 and beyond in no time at all
Old 02-06-2018, 02:00 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ProfessorD View Post
Hi everyone. I'm having a bad day and some very bad cravings out of the complete blue. For those of you who have more sober time than me, do the cravings ever go away? at 24 days I know I'm not going to drink, but... I'm just so sad and depressed that I'm going to spend the rest of my life feeling this way....craving a bottle of wine I can't have...is this my new life? I feel like a pathetic loser.

I'm sorry for this negative post, I'm just really feeling down and could use some kind words if anyone has any to offer.

Thank you all for reading.
Dear Professor,
The Cravings will eventually go away, but you must realize your body and mind is conditioned for the alcohol, your best bet is to go to AA meetings and talk about it, you need to get a sponsor and work the 12 steps, you must surrender, eventually the cravings will go away but you need a good support group. Of course this website is awesome help, but there's nothing like being there face-to-face with other alcoholics sharing your struggles and your success, keep up the good work the rewards will be coming.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:27 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by milly4me View Post
.. but just maybe a habit of always having/thinking about wine.
THIS!
Brains are inherently lazy. They don't like to think new thoughts. They prefer to think old thoughts. Those old, well-worn thoughts of drinking were an 8-lane super highway through my brain. Then I didn't want to think about drinking anymore. I wanted my brain to think new thoughts, and my brain was like, "Hey, why are we hacking through the jungle with a machete on these new thoughts when there is this 8-lane super highway over here? Let's think about drinking, it's easy!"

Retraining that brain is difficult and takes time, but it can be done. Then, after a while, your drinking thoughts decline through disuse. Google "synaptic pruning" to read about that.

Great job on 24 days Professor!!!
Old 02-06-2018, 02:47 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Urges

I've been Af for 2 wks. Want some wine now. I won't go to the store cause I don't trust myself.
I sneak it. Not healthy for my marriage. I'm ashamed of my behavior.

We all have to hang on!

Cherie
Old 02-06-2018, 02:51 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

For me, I find I don't have cravings unless my triggers are present - hunger, conflict I have to deal with, etc.

My plan has always been to figure out why I am craving alcohol, mitigate that, and that helps a lot.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:59 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

ProfD - I remember having that very same feeling in the early days. If it hadn't gone away, I would definitely have given up on sobriety. The first few months I was obsessed with 'not drinking' - very emotional & sorry for myself. That feeling faded away. One day I realized drinking hadn't even crossed my mind in a very long time. Now - I rarely think of it - and I know better than to entertain the idea that it could ever be fun or relaxing again. I drank 30 yrs. Never imagined I'd happily live without it - but I do. (10 yrs. sober)

This is normal - you will go through many phases as you heal. You're doing great, & the anxiety will ease up.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:04 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
J50

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
THIS!

Retraining that brain is difficult and takes time, but it can be done. Then, after a while, your drinking thoughts decline through disuse. Google "synaptic pruning" to read about that.

Great job on 24 days Professor!!!
Thanks for asking the question Professor! The replies have been a great reassurance that things will get better if we hang in there.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:17 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
ProfD - I remember having that very same feeling in the early days. If it hadn't gone away, I would definitely have given up on sobriety. The first few months I was obsessed with 'not drinking' - very emotional & sorry for myself. That feeling faded away. One day I realized drinking hadn't even crossed my mind in a very long time. Now - I rarely think of it - and I know better than to entertain the idea that it could ever be fun or relaxing again. I drank 30 yrs. Never imagined I'd happily live without it - but I do. (10 yrs. sober)

This is normal - you will go through many phases as you heal. You're doing great, & the anxiety will ease up.
Thanks, Hevyn! You've commented with such reassuring words on a few of my posts, and I really appreciate your positive outlook and experience. I'm so happy to hear that you are happily living without alcohol AND that drinking doesn't cross your mind that much anymore. I really hope I can get there too
Old 02-06-2018, 03:21 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

ProfessorD,

I am 18 days sober today and I am asking the same question of myself also. This can be so draining at times. What I am finding so silly of me today, is I am not really craving alcohol, a little yes, but not really craving to drink what I am fighting in my head is I saw my favorite drink today for sale for $4.00 off. The lowest I have seen it in years, and I am back and forth in my head wanting to buy it because it is such a great sale that I probably will never see again.

How crazy is that?

It's been an emotional roller coaster bordering on crazy for me, but I am putting my faith in these people here that say it will get better.

You hang on to, and if it doesn't happen, we know know where to find them.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:25 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I drank every day for more than two decades, the first 6 months were really really hard for me. I'm coming up on a year and things are a lot easier but I still have some distance to cover. I don't really crave drinks anymore but if I'm around drinking I will get jealous of people who are consuming. I'm still doing by best to avoid alcohol as much as possible. I've drank my entire adult life, I suppose it only makes sense to kind of feel out of place sober.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:18 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tekink View Post
I drank every day for more than two decades, the first 6 months were really really hard for me. I'm coming up on a year and things are a lot easier but I still have some distance to cover. I don't really crave drinks anymore but if I'm around drinking I will get jealous of people who are consuming. I'm still doing by best to avoid alcohol as much as possible. I've drank my entire adult life, I suppose it only makes sense to kind of feel out of place sober.
I hear ya tekink, even after living sober for many years sometimes I have trouble living in my own skin.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:28 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I agree with that, Danooo - I still get that way too - but I've given up on thinking alcohol will take away the uneasiness & fix things.