Notices

Do the cravings ever go away? Fed up at day 24

Old 02-05-2018, 03:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do the cravings ever go away? Fed up at day 24

Hi everyone. I'm having a bad day and some very bad cravings out of the complete blue. For those of you who have more sober time than me, do the cravings ever go away? at 24 days I know I'm not going to drink, but... I'm just so sad and depressed that I'm going to spend the rest of my life feeling this way....craving a bottle of wine I can't have...is this my new life? I feel like a pathetic loser.

I'm sorry for this negative post, I'm just really feeling down and could use some kind words if anyone has any to offer.

Thank you all for reading.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Be very careful. I drank at 29 days bc I couldn't take the incessant brain pounding I was enduring. I just gave in. I'm adding AA into the mix but still don't know how I'm going to deal when those seemingly unbeatable cravings hit.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

no this is not what the rest of your life is going to be!!!!
you are having a rough time RIGHT NOW.....measured in minutes, maybe hours, during the course of ONE day.

cravings happen. sometimes we know why, sometimes they come seemingly out of the blue. AS LONG AS WE DO NOT DRINK, they will lessen in intensity and regularity. but if you were to have given in, you just powered up the battery in Crave O Maker.

a craving can be like a toddler having a fit in the grocery store......sometimes you can find something else to soothe them, but sometimes you just have to abandon the cart and haul their screaming little butts out of the store.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Offthemast View Post
Be very careful. I drank at 29 days bc I couldn't take the incessant brain pounding I was enduring. I just gave in. I'm adding AA into the mix but still don't know how I'm going to deal when those seemingly unbeatable cravings hit.
Thanks for sharing, Offthemast. I'm sorry that happened to you, and I'm glad you're back on the wagon. Brain pounding sounds exactly what I'm experiencing too.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I know it doesn't seem like it now, but there will come a time where you don't even think about drinking. The cravings will not always be there. You're in early recovery so it's not surprising you're having cravings.

You won't always feel this way. It gets better.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you Anvilhead! That's a very helpful way to visualize it. I really hope you are right.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is definitely not the best it's going to get.

I was despondent too until someone gently reminded me that I drank for decades and that a few weeks were probably not long enough for me to be out of the craving or the mood swing woods just yet.

Have faith - you will not always crave,and you will not always be this up and down. Until it passes, lean on us - we'll get you through

D
Old 02-05-2018, 03:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Heya ProfD..

One of the biggest takeaways from rehab was being away from any access to booze for 30 days. That in the rear view mirror (about 6 months ago) I can say that after 30 days things seemed to moderate a bit. I've had fleeting cravings at most but the alcoholic voice seems to poke in every once in awhile to tell me it wouldn't hurt. Just being cognizant of that seems to help take care of it from my experience.

I wound up after treatment trying to engage in positive activities (for me the primary one was fitness) that build me up and gain an upbeat perspective on life. Do you have hobbies that you enjoy? Are there support groups where you can feel connected to those IRL who've some established sobriety?

There's options. That's one of the axioms that I seem to embrace nowadays--that having options is better than the alternative

Stay strong, and keep checking in

T.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Prof D

I was shown this post regarding cravings

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...e-surfing.html (Urge Surfing)

Hope it helps

Dave
Old 02-05-2018, 03:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee and least! I really want to believe there is a better future. I can't tell you how much I value this forum.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Offthemast View Post
still don't know how I'm going to deal when those seemingly unbeatable cravings hit.
great tips here

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

I particularly recommend urge surfing.

It's hard, but it's possible to vanquish even the most relentless of cravings

Seriously I spent hours here in early recovery because the alternative was running down the road and drinking.

The thing that actually helped me the most was posting to others.

I knew what to do - I just wasn't great back then at taking my own advice - but eventually? it sunk in

D
Old 02-05-2018, 04:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Professor D,

Having walked this path before and staying absent from drinking for 18 months, I can solemnly swear that the cravings do get weaker.It's true what the song says "that things can only get better" But you have to be ever vigilant as alcoholism is a disease that needs to be treated with AA, and support.You can and will do this, my friend, where all in the same boat.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I only have 21 days so cannot answer from experience, but I’ve been reading about the experiences of others and overwhelmingly the answer seems yes it gets easier. We”ve spent a long time teaching our bodies to develop a dependency on alcohol so I guess these first months especially there are going to be both physical and psychological cravings as we find our new normal.

I’m finding reading about AVRT quite helpful in dealing with cravings, but I have still been knocked off my feet by the power of some of them. I have to believe this too shall pass.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by ProfessorD View Post
Hi everyone. I'm having a bad day and some very bad cravings out of the complete blue. For those of you who have more sober time than me, do the cravings ever go away? at 24 days I know I'm not going to drink, but... I'm just so sad and depressed that I'm going to spend the rest of my life feeling this way....craving a bottle of wine I can't have...is this my new life? I feel like a pathetic loser.

I'm sorry for this negative post, I'm just really feeling down and could use some kind words if anyone has any to offer.

Thank you all for reading.
I get it ProfessorD. I'm on Day 26 and was feeling the exact same way today. I'm glad to see this thread. I feel stronger already. Wishing you continued strength.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Rar, I'm glad we are in the same boat! It makes me feel stronger knowing there are people who understand what I'm gong through too
Old 02-06-2018, 12:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey Prof D,

just to add my voice to the chorus - it TOTALLY gets easier with time.

First few weeks are really hard, but you've got your axe in the rock now. Cling on to it with every fibre of your being my friend!

One of the very best things about sobriety I never considered --

NO MORE HORRID RECOVERIES EVER AGAIN!!!!!

Do keep posting and good luck!

Max
Old 02-06-2018, 01:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

They do go. It takes time, of course, but I am thankful to say my cravings completely left me.

Hang in there. It is well worth it.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Prof D -

I don't know how you feel about AA or if you have thought about it...but honestly I believe it's the reason I have been able to deal with cravings. I can also truly say that the obsession to drink has been lifted.

The whole concept of "surrender" was sort of horrifying to me at first - until I really understood it. When I started to really get into the program, got a sponsor, worked the steps...cravings are very rare for me.

I'm not saying it's magic...I have plenty of issues to deal with. But the desire to drink has been greatly relieved.

Just a suggestion. I'm thinking of you.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Professor - Of course it gets better.

How fast? Varies
Is craving elimination complete? Varies

Can't predict the details for any one individual but we can predict the direction. Simple fact is that for almost everyone cravings diminish as sober time increases.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:05 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobermax View Post

NO MORE HORRID RECOVERIES EVER AGAIN!!!!!
That's completely true! Thank you, Max!