Notices

This is getting really hard

Old 02-03-2018, 06:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is getting really hard

17 days sober. I don't know how to keep doing this. My emotions seem everywhere. One moment I am happy and content, the next I want to be alone and not see or talk to anyone. I feel like all I really want to do is lay in bed, but my bed feels like a battlefield. My brain keeps telling me to just hit that bottle until I'm sedated and just sink into oblivion. I know I can't do that.

When do you reach that state of happiness in sobriety? It isn't coming quick enough.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

17 days of sobriety is fantastic!

I think you will feel better, but you will probably have to take action to make that happen. I think that to remain sober we usually need to make lifestyle changes to support ourselves. Are there changes you can make in your life? Are you getting any exercise, meeting up with friends who aren't drinking, eating well, etc? I think the more effort you put into it, the quicker you will find happiness.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

17 days is fantastic! You are still in early sobriety, so give yourself some time to adjust ams start to reap all of the amazing benefits of sobriety.

Jeni posted today about reaching two years of sobriety, and she talked about finally finding "Happy sobriety," you will get there!!

What have you been doing for recovery? This is a great link with some suggestions.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)
Old 02-03-2018, 06:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by JackD89 View Post
When do you reach that state of happiness in sobriety? It isn't coming quick enough.
Things never come quick enough in the early days unless we happen to experience a miracle. I reached that state of happiness just as soon as I did what it takes to experience that. It never came when all I did was not drink. In fact it moved further out of reach.

I am not sure happiness is the right word. Feeling OK inside, and a deep inner conviction that I am on the right track. That was more what I experienced, and it happened within the first 21 days, which was my record for staying sober on the wait and see plan.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Jack :

If you're like me you probably drank for years - 17 days is awesome but you'll probably have a few more up and downs yet - things got a lot easier for me after month one - hang in there

Use the support here too - have you checked out the Class of February support thread? All you need to do to join is post

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-pt-1-a-4.html
D
Old 02-04-2018, 05:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thank you everyone who responded. Starting day 18 today. Doing my best to just stay positive.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I find that 'happiness' happens in the moment I'm in. If I'm looking to some elusive state of being, I'm probably missing it. If I'm looking to the future, I'm definitely missing it. If I'm obsessing on the past, no happiness there. If in the moment I am not 'satisfied' with what I'm feeling I try to take action to change that. If I'm lazy and don't feel like it (which happens a lot) I accept that what I'm feeling is exactly as it should be.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

As with most addictions
This one let's you walk merrily through it's door. It consumes you slowly and steadily all of the time that you think that you are consuming it.
And when you want to leave you then find you have got a fight on your hands.

The length of drinking time, quantity and how your own body and brain handles recovery will determine what you experience and for how long.

The only way to sobriety is to battle through the recovery one step at a time.
Those steps will get easier😎
Old 02-05-2018, 01:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Jack. I found that when I stop drinking all those issues that I was trying to avoid slapped me right in the face. There was no way round it, I had to go through it. All that discomfort and self-loathing, wanting to be alone and feeling like I was having a meltdown when I had to try and be 'normal'.
Counselling helped and still helps me immensely. It's taken years to unravel all that stuff but having someone neutral and non-judgmental is a gift in coping with early recovery and life in general. It might be something to consider if you are struggling. We have to try and learn to live sober, which was a new concept for me! Having some help along the way is vital. I bet you are far stronger than you realise. Stick with it. 17 days is and awesome start. Gabe x
Old 02-05-2018, 01:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That is only because you are so early in sobriety. I been there plenty of times. Fight through it and it gets much easier.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Jack & well done on what is now your 18th day!

It is early days but gradually, bit by bit, a sense of contentment will start to build in your mind, might only start with fleeting moments at first but it will gradually become more and more until you find yourself in a happier, stronger more secure mindset.

It will arrive, I promise you. We all get there at different times and stages but a better mindset will arrive.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

hows it going Jack?

D