Notices

Self-Praise Thread!

Old 02-01-2018, 02:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Self-Praise Thread!

My therapist said I should practice praising myself as I have a habit of putting myself down a lot. So my self-praise for today is that I am really proud that I have been sober for 35 days. It hasn't been easy the whole time, but it has been really productive. I am getting to know myself and learning to sit with my emotions instead of trying to run from them. The process hurts like hell, but I am learning that if I ride out these feelings and emotions, they really do pass and I get stronger.

So that is really all I have for today. Tell me something you have done well or that you are proud of about yourself.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great thread LateBloominCait 😊 congrats on 35 days...

I too am proud of my sobriety, and the hard work I have put in, and continue to put in, so that I can thrive in sobriety.

Wishing you well on your recovery journey 💜
Old 02-01-2018, 02:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
under new management

Love this thread, LateBloominCait

I am proud of myself for starting to believe in myself and my place in this life!

Old 02-01-2018, 11:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done LBC

35 days is good going I'm on 33 today I am still not in a steady place I think volatile covers it well.

I have achieved some things which I probably should be proud of however I'm afraid that I just don't feel it. I just feel that I struggled to achieve those things that would have been more attainable if I wasnt struggling as I am. That said I am a little better than I have been which is all the positive that I have.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Cool idea!

I'm proud I quit prescribed Amphetamines at same time I got sober...Day 39. Oh ya and no cigs since May 4.

Thank you...It's so easy for me to be pessimistic.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry gave myself a few face slaps and I am posting again.

After tapering from the maximum dosage for 4 months I gave up SSRIs approximately a year ago.

Over the past 5 months I only have 7 days slip.

I am now on day 33 and counting.

I am proud of that!

Best wishes, Dusty😎
Old 02-02-2018, 01:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For years I have been trying to lose weight with no luck the scales going steadily in the opposite direction.

Since starting my sobre journey I have lost a stone in weight.

I am proud of that! 😁
Old 02-02-2018, 02:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are right to self praise. We are dealing with something that most people don’t have to. So when it is successful, and we are not drinking, we only appear “normal” to others. They have no concept of what we have battled to get to that situation. I try and plan rewards for certain milestones and achievements, and so far this is working for me.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Love this thread!

This week I was feeling proud of myself for several things. One thing I am really happy about is I am having better communication with Mrs Nons. We are a couple of stubborn mules, and our conversations get you "Yeah - Whatever!" (and stomping out of the room) pretty fast. I've been working on my active listening and not reacting emotionally during our discussions, and I think it is really helping build a feeling of intimacy between us. A feeling my decades of drinking had severely damaged.

Good job me!
Old 02-02-2018, 05:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great idea!!

For me, I've been on cloud nine of proud-ness since yoga class yesterday. I've noticed a big jump forward in what my body can do and my fave teacher told me after class "You are so BENDY now!" As a kid who was asked to leave gymnastics at five bc she wasn't flexible enough this is one of my holy grail of athletic compliments, ever!!
Old 02-02-2018, 06:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZBeeblebrox View Post
You are right to self praise. We are dealing with something that most people don’t have to. So when it is successful, and we are not drinking, we only appear “normal” to others. They have no concept of what we have battled to get to that situation. I try and plan rewards for certain milestones and achievements, and so far this is working for me.
Thank you for writing that. I sometimes feel silly or selfish to self-praise, but this is a really hard thing that I am doing and it is an accomplishment to stay sober.

This is working for me as well!
Old 02-02-2018, 08:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Aw, what a nice thread! I am proud of all of you for your amazing achievements!

I am proud of how hard I work for my students and of course for being three weeks sober, so I have the time and energy to help them reach their potential.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am always so saddened by the way we speak to ourselves. We can be ruthless and worse than our enemies. I have definitely shed that side of me even though sometimes it tries to come back.

I am proud of the parent I am with all my imperfections. I feel such a level of connection with my kid that feels amazing and I love the example that I am. I have tried to lead by example teaching my kid that we all make mistakes but it is how we handle them that makes or breaks us. I love that I have apologized at times to her and that she has seen me being vulnerable (never because of drinking, she turned 3 when I decided to quit).

I am also proud of my performance at work. I got a promotion a little bit over a year ago and things are going great and my colleagues really like me and respect me. I actually just got offered the manager for the department position since my boss is leaving.!!!

Let’s focus on our good, on the positive!!! This is the energy I want to feel!!!
Old 02-02-2018, 11:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am proud of myself for being able to see the positives in each new day now and for being grateful for everything I have. Believe me, 5 months ago I was the most pessimistic individual on the planet!!
Great post btw Cait and congrats on 35 days
Old 02-02-2018, 12:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am going to praise myself today for being a much more attentive parent to my young son since I stopped drinking. I think he can tell there is something different about me (he is 4) but of course he doesn't really know what it is.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Great thread
I am proud that i am on day 32 of my journey, i am proud that i am now going to yoga 3 times a week and I am poud that my family have seen me make this change
Old 02-02-2018, 06:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am proud that I can be honest with people about myself, my struggles, and not feel shame about them anymore.

I am proud that I am no longer the self-centered person I was when I was drinking. I actually go out of my way now to help another who is struggling when I have help to give. Drove about 1 1/2 hours to visit a friend in a hospital last month who is struggling, and being so far away gets few visitors these days. Wouldn't have done that back when I was drinking.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
2/2016

I am proud that I have two years this month. I got a promotion at work a few months ago I would not have gotten drinking. Things are going well, and I am much happier sober. Best thing I ever did was quit drinking.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Welsh member.

Now that I'm sober, I'm proud that I'm a really nice, caring, happy bloke.
And I'm incredibly handsome.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Trohyn View Post
Now that I'm sober, I'm proud that I'm a really nice, caring, happy bloke.
And I'm incredibly handsome.
Most amusing!!!!