Notices

2 days sober no withdrawals yet.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:42 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Drinking Steel Reserve 211

is like receiving a blood transfusion

from the devil.

You need to pull that line out of your arm and run as fast and as far as you can.

And DON'T look back.

(don't ask me how I know...)
It's liquid crack. I don't drink it anymore.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:46 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PennyLane76 View Post
Hi Aquarius. Have you had any withdrawal symptoms?
No but I haven't. I'm one day one again. I had to drink because I was afraid of even having dts or seizures. I'm trying to keep my alcohol intake to a minimize of a 6 pack to leave that **** out my life. Why do you ask about withdrawal by the way?
Old 01-27-2018, 11:26 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

This whole threads been about your fear of withdrawal if you stop drinking.

You could keep drinking on that fear for years - I did amongst many other reasons - or you could go get checked out by a Dr and stop drinking safely.

D
Old 01-27-2018, 11:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Well if after 2 days sober you hadn't had any withdrawals, likelihood is you weren't going to get any. As others here told you before you went and drank.

Our AVs (addict voices) will always try to get us to drink. Sometimes by telling us we need a reward or by cajoulling us. More often than not though, as addicts tend to be very fear-driven, they play on our fears. The fear that we might get physically ill without alcohol, the fear that we won't be able to cope with our job without alcohol, the fear that we won't be able to relax enough to perform sexually without alcohol, the fear that we won't be able to be as socially gregarious without alcohol... The list could go on. But of course, our AVs are big fat liars. Alcohol is the very thing that WILL damage our health, our careers, our ability to be intimite and emotionally available, our reputations and our relationships.

You wrote... "I had to drink because I was afraid of even having DTs or seizures."

No doubt when you wrote it your emphasis was on the DTs and seizures (even though you hadn't had any withdrawal symptoms for two days sober). Why? Well, perhaps because your AV was shouting for you to feed the beast and was going to tell you whatever it needed to get you to tip some alcohol down your kneck. Alcohol is cunning and baffling.

This is how I read your statement.... "I had to drink because I was afraid of even having DTs or seizures." Thing is. If every time we get anxious or fearful in early sobriety we take a drink there will be no sobriety or recovery. Just because we feel fear around something, that fear is not necessarily truthful.

In my first months sober I found it very hard to distinguish the true from the false. What were MY thoughs and what were my AVs stirring-ups? What were genuine reasons, and what were excuses and rationalisation on my part. It was SO hard. I felt like I was going completely mad. Eventually someone gave me a sanity-saving tip. They said "if the thought is one that will lead you to take a drink, you can bet it comes from your AV." Remembering that made it a bit easier for me to chose not to attach myself to those thoughts, or the fears that they presented me with.

I hope that you will decide to lean into your fear next time. Because there will never be a day or week or month that you will be able to just stop drinking and not feel anxiety or fear. No taper will get around that. There is no 'easier or softer way'.

BB
Old 01-28-2018, 01:33 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Well if after 2 days sober you hadn't had any withdrawals, likelihood is you weren't going to get any. As others here told you before you went and drank.

Our AVs (addict voices) will always try to get us to drink. Sometimes by telling us we need a reward or by cajoulling us. More often than not though, as addicts tend to be very fear-driven, they play on our fears. The fear that we might get physically ill without alcohol, the fear that we won't be able to cope with our job without alcohol, the fear that we won't be able to relax enough to perform sexually without alcohol, the fear that we won't be able to be as socially gregarious without alcohol... The list could go on. But of course, our AVs are big fat liars. Alcohol is the very thing that WILL damage our health, our careers, our ability to be intimite and emotionally available, our reputations and our relationships.

You wrote... "I had to drink because I was afraid of even having DTs or seizures."

No doubt when you wrote it your emphasis was on the DTs and seizures (even though you hadn't had any withdrawal symptoms for two days sober). Why? Well, perhaps because your AV was shouting for you to feed the beast and was going to tell you whatever it needed to get you to tip some alcohol down your kneck. Alcohol is cunning and baffling.

This is how I read your statement.... "I had to drink because I was afraid of even having DTs or seizures." Thing is. If every time we get anxious or fearful in early sobriety we take a drink there will be no sobriety or recovery. Just because we feel fear around something, that fear is not necessarily truthful.

In my first months sober I found it very hard to distinguish the true from the false. What were MY thoughs and what were my AVs stirring-ups? What were genuine reasons, and what were excuses and rationalisation on my part. It was SO hard. I felt like I was going completely mad. Eventually someone gave me a sanity-saving tip. They said "if the thought is one that will lead you to take a drink, you can bet it comes from your AV." Remembering that made it a bit easier for me to chose not to attach myself to those thoughts, or the fears that they presented me with.

I hope that you will decide to lean into your fear next time. Because there will never be a day or week or month that you will be able to just stop drinking and not feel anxiety or fear. No taper will get around that. There is no 'easier or softer way'.

BB
Respect! I'll G Up! And stop being a ***** and take this **** headon!
Old 01-28-2018, 01:51 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aquariuslife View Post
Respect! I'll G Up! And stop being a ***** and take this **** headon!
No need to beat yourself up or call yourself names. It's all a learning curve. This is why I needed support. For me that came from here (as you can see by the number of posts I've made in the last few years haha) and AA (meetings, working the 12-step recovery program with a sponsor, and sticking close to others in recovery). This is possible. And it's pretty simple, but not easy.

Chin up. You're about to embark on an amazing journey of discovery. There is treasure ahead, and that treasure is your Self, your Integrity, Hope and Serenity. It's so easy to think of this point of the end of our wonderful (haha) relationship with booze, but actually it's a beginning. A whole new wonderful life is yours for the taking.

BB
Old 01-28-2018, 02:11 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Energy is good but beating yourself up is wasted energy

Read around and post as much as you like. See hat others are doing to stay sober.

Come check out the Class of January support thread:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...art-3-a-7.html

If I can do this recovery thing, anyone can aquariuslife

D