Notices

acquaintances challenged by my sobriety

Old 01-15-2018, 07:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

acquaintances challenged by my sobriety

Im not one to lie about periods of sobriety but over the last few days a few people have mentioned to me that they have been told I have been drinking alcohol in other pubs rather than my local. A friend pulled someone up on this and was told " yeah I asked the barmaid of the x pub and she showed me a video of it on CCTV. "
The particular pub they referred to doesnt have CCTV and why would anyone even ask.
In a way its nice that im so important in these peoples life that they feel the need to make things up but also a bit sad that they feel threatened by sober people.
Its just so bizarre and although I dont feel the need to justify myself to anyone ( except maybe wifey and kids) it just niggled me for a passing few seconds. My educated guess is its been a chinese whisper thats gone through loads of people.
Ironically a good friend who drinks far more than I did and is normally quite challenged by my sobriety said to me - I know you said your going to do dry January but I think your going to do a lot longer- i just said one day at at time mate so lets see what happens.
Anyway the start of day 15 today - honest guvnor
Old 01-15-2018, 07:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thats a bit bizarre but it fits in with the fantasy world of rumour gossip and outright imagination I used to live in as a drinker.

congrats on 15 days

D
Old 01-15-2018, 07:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

That's a load of hooey.

Glad you could let it roll off your back. I'd be likely to call bull**** and cute off contact.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just pub gossip. I suppose its lke the fishermans tale-telling, they all have to outdo each other. It usually starts with something as innocent as, "Y'know, I reckon X...", then it turns into "I heard that....", then "I saw..." right through to the non-existant evidence. If challenged the barmaid will look bewildered and the others will just have been on the receiving end of it. No one would have said a word. The good old pub gossip factory. I don't miss that at all.

Like you say. They re just aquaintences. Your friends know better, and if not YOU do! Nothing like having some integrity back.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good job on 15 days.

Sure doesn't sound like the behavior of friends to me. I wouldn't let people behaving like this have my time or attention.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds perfectly normal to me, people love to gossip and thats ok and like i said normal behaviour. A mate of mine was talking to me about the same thing the other day, i said to him when you stop in January just tell people you are doing a sober january (its a big thing now for people who don't have a problem to take a month off, the new fad!) then as february comes round a sober february and so on. I said if you feel uncomfortable to say that a mate from wherever that your usual friends don't know mentioned it to you and you thought right i bet i can do that! That way you aren't putting out there any startling declaration of sobriety which is never a smooth move with your old drinking aquantainces. I learned this the very hard way btw as i was one of those people who felt from the start i had to tell one and all that i had changed my ways etc etc, oh dear bit embarrassing looking back