Notices

Antidepressant SSRI for PAWS?

Old 01-15-2018, 11:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Antidepressant SSRI for PAWS?

I've been dealing with PAWS related anxiety and insomnia and my doctor wants me to go on Zoloft to ease the anxiety. Thing is I'm sensitive to just about everything now and have to watch what I put in my body. Even a little bit of caffeine consumed in the morning will keep me from sleeping well at night. I hope taking an antidepressant won't do the same thing. I've been on Zoloft for deppression when I was 19 and never had any real problems with it. So...while all paws experiences are personal and subjective, granted, I just wanted to know if anyone has tried taking an antidepressant like Zoloft for PAWS related symptoms and did it help?
Old 01-15-2018, 11:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I take citalopram for anxiety and I find it does help, it evens me out. It isn't PAWS as I've been on it for a while now (while still drinking), but deals with anxiety in general. Medication & drinking....not sensible I know!!

I didn't have any side effects at all when I started (& still don't).
Old 01-15-2018, 12:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

We can't really give you specific advice about particular Meds here Thompson, as that would be considered medical advice. The list of possible symptoms of "PAWS" is very long and can include really just about anything - so you need to make sure that what you are being prescribed is appropriate for the specific symptoms.

SSRI's are widely prescribed for wide array of symptoms - so it's hard to say if the specific one you have been prescribed will help. Even if others have experience with it that's no guarantee that your experience will be the same - there are documented side effects to every SSRI.

Many physicians are quick to prescribe a drug because they are not trained in therapy or always as up to speed on mental illness as say a psychiatrist or therapist might be. If you are concerned about possible side effects of a drug for anxiety, you could always consult with a therapist too and see what they think. While drugs work for some, there are a lot of non-drug treatments for anxiety that are effective too.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I also have chronic insomnia and anxiety which were heightened during a lengthy bout with PAWS . My doctor tried me on a number of different SSRIs and related drugs, although Zoloft was not one of them. I didn't feel any of them really addressed the issue directly, and discontinued each of them after the trial period of several weeks was up.

That said, as you pointed out, all PAWS experiences are personal and subjective, as are all anti-depressant experiences. So even if someone comes along and says that Zoloft helped -- or didn't help -- their insomnia and anxiety, it's no indication of whether it will help -- or won't help -- you. All you can do is give it a shot.

For myself, I manage my insomnia and anxiety issues by healthy lifestyle and recovery work as much as is practicable, and supplement these non-medical efforts with occasional use of prescribed medication specifically targeted to my symptoms.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can always give it a go as your doc has suggested it to see if it helps. I take zoloft and it does help me with depression and somewhat with my anxiety issues.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't have any experience re meds for PAWS, but I know I was in a right old state with it before working on my recovery plan. This article was very instructive to me, and when I took some of the suggestions on there the results were pretty amazing. I went from wanting to die to enjoying life life never before in a matter of months,.. https://digital-dharma.net/post-acut...r-immediately/

Sorry if you have already been doing things on there. I couldn't see from your posts to date what you have been doing for your recovery.

BB
Old 01-15-2018, 03:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I went through a traumatic expeience/time in 2015 was given lustral same product but UK version/maximum dose. The story would make a good read but it's far to dark and deep.
I found myself drinking alcohol daily whilst on this drug.
Early 2017 it took much time and effort for me to taper off this drug I had brain zaps and many other issues. I am now also getting rid of alcohol from poisoning my mind and body.

I personally needed for the balance to be restored internally, total mind and body!

I did what I needed to do at the time to survive and I saw no alternatives.

I know that you have asked a specific question. I am truly sorry that I can not give you the specific answer that you are seeking.
It's all about me🤔
Old 01-15-2018, 03:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for feedback. I appreciate it. I'm leaning more and more toward it and think yes like Andante said the best thing I can do is give it a shot. I'll update on how it goes for me when I try it.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Not sure my post read clearly.
Right now what I need in life is a totally clean approach to mind and body.
I personally would not take them again unless I had no other options and in a very bad way.

I would however recommend that you speak this all through thoroughly with a medical professional or therapist that deals specifically in this area of expertise.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dustitoffman View Post
I would however recommend that you speak this all through thoroughly with a medical professional or therapist that deals specifically in this area of expertise.
This person has. Your experience is that you kept dumping gallons of alcohol on top of it, not a good situation, with results to show.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

For me, hells the yes. I had taken SSRIs in the past and found it helpful, but hadn't taken them for years. It was a cocktail for me, a mood stabilizer, an SSRI, and Wellbutrin. It's also chased away my desire to drink, and allowed me to quit smoking as well...plus very helpful in the anxiety and depression I experienced right out of rehab. I could barely get out of bed for almost a month.

This being said, I was under the care of a psychiatrist in a mood disorder clinic that also treated addiction issues. If you are having depression and anxiety issues, I would strongly suggest not depending on a GP alone. They can refer you to a psychiatrist.

When I presented to my GP with a clear and present and drastic substance abuse problem, she referred me for a psych consult, specifically at the center that specialized in addiction. The clinic basically said that if I didn't go to rehab and get medical detox that at best I wouldn't be able to beat my drinking issues, and at worst could die.

Psychiatrists can be your best friends if you are suffering from depression and anxiety. Everyone is different, medication helps some and not others.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I tried Zoloft for one day and was extremely agitated. My Doctor told me to stop taking it immediately and I was then put on EFEXOR-XR and haven't really had any sides from that and only took about 3 days to start working.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
For me, hells the yes. I had taken SSRIs in the past and found it helpful, but hadn't taken them for years. It was a cocktail for me, a mood stabilizer, an SSRI, and Wellbutrin. It's also chased away my desire to drink, and allowed me to quit smoking as well...plus very helpful in the anxiety and depression I experienced right out of rehab. I could barely get out of bed for almost a month.

This being said, I was under the care of a psychiatrist in a mood disorder clinic that also treated addiction issues. If you are having depression and anxiety issues, I would strongly suggest not depending on a GP alone. They can refer you to a psychiatrist.

When I presented to my GP with a clear and present and drastic substance abuse problem, she referred me for a psych consult, specifically at the center that specialized in addiction. The clinic basically said that if I didn't go to rehab and get medical detox that at best I wouldn't be able to beat my drinking issues, and at worst could die.

Psychiatrists can be your best friends if you are suffering from depression and anxiety. Everyone is different, medication helps some and not others.
Thank you!
Old 01-16-2018, 08:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

can't give you medical advice but I will share my experience;

I had to confront anxiety and depression symptoms in recovery. For nearly 4 years, I approached it with supplements, therapy, exercise, light therapy, nutrition and a host of other non-medication efforts.

This year, I wound up going on an SSRI starting during the darker, colder months when my symptoms had been the worst historically. After a couple of months, I'm very glad I did. It has definitely been a positive move cor me. I'm glad I took the time to let me body balance out, glad I took the time to explore non-med options, glad that I worked with my doctor over time to decide that trying a med was a decent option..... and glad now that I'm experiencing a much less anxious perspective and my depression symptoms have greatly improved.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by ozm8ey View Post
I tried Zoloft for one day and was extremely agitated. My Doctor told me to stop taking it immediately and I was then put on EFEXOR-XR and haven't really had any sides from that and only took about 3 days to start working.
I had the exact opposite reaction, although Zoloft only gave me a partial response; it was the first AD medication that I tried. Went to Effexor and not only felt extreme agitation but developed a rash on my chest.

Just shows how the individual responses to these medications can vary, and another reason to go through an experienced psychiatrist if you are choosing to try a course of medication.

I also felt that SSRIs were most effective in the winter, and for a few years would only take them from around Thanksgiving through about the spring equinox on March 21.

Note that many AD meds take up to 6 weeks to get full effect and generally require a taper both during initial therapy and cessation. While six weeks is the long end of effectiveness, in general you're not going to start to feel better for a week or two. Also some of the initial side effects tend to decrease and then mostly disappear during this time. Talk to your doctor about side effects if you experience them, a quick google should get you to a page where they are listed.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I found the best "medicine" for me was to exercise & Eat healthy (as I snack on sugar snap peas, yummy). For myself, I am against pharmaceuticals, but for others, they are a godsend!

Do what is best for you under the supervision of your doctor.

Best of luck and I hope whatever route you take you find the relief you are looking for!
Old 01-16-2018, 05:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DreamCatcher17 View Post
I found the best "medicine" for me was to exercise & Eat healthy (as I snack on sugar snap peas, yummy). For myself, I am against pharmaceuticals, but for others, they are a godsend!

Do what is best for you under the supervision of your doctor.

Best of luck and I hope whatever route you take you find the relief you are looking for!
Thanks so much!
Old 01-17-2018, 06:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DreamCatcher17 View Post
I found the best "medicine" for me was to exercise & Eat healthy
Trust me sometimes for people like me its a brain chemistry problem, no amount of exercise can help that why we need medication.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ozm8ey View Post
Trust me sometimes for people like me its a brain chemistry problem, no amount of exercise can help that why we need medication.
I also stated for some it is a "godsend" which means for some it is really important they take medication. I am glad you found what works for you!
Old 01-17-2018, 08:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I always find it odd when people say "there's no way I would ever used medication for a psychiatric illness."

Why wouldn't you use a tool against depression, anxiety, etc?

They can be overprescribed, for sure. They can be helpful, and sometimes not.

I see too many people suffering because they view medical intervention as a sign of weakness. That they should be able to work through a depression, that somehow antidepressants and other psych meds are a softer, easier way.

Can you think or will yourself out of Type 1 diabetes?