Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Is becoming sober different than when you can’t drink during preganancy?

Notices

Old 01-14-2018, 04:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have had no trouble stopping drinking when I am pregnant or in that phase of planning to be but aren’t sure yet. But once I’m not pregnant I go back to drinking and then progressively it’s somethubg I look forward to and it goes on... this time I’m not pregnant but want to be done because I can see where I’m headed if I continue.

I’m trying to not think too long term as a lot of advice is that it’s overwhelming and a huge reason for people giving up, but I don’t want to say “oh it’s been 9 months (or a year... or 5 years) and realize my commitment was the same as when I was pregnant.

I’d figure than since I’m doing this for me and for long term affects in general my commitment will stick.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Its interesting right?

We all quit like nothing when we are pregnant and then the minutes its over, its over.

I wish I had taken those chances to make a lasting change. I got there in the end, but could have saved me a lot of pain (and the kids).
Old 01-14-2018, 04:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, Readygo.
Welcome.
It’s different, but in some ways the same.
Moms- to-be stop drinking during pregnancy because they want to protect the baby’s health.
So it’s a good, short-term commitment.
I think, for many, there is a sense that after the child is born, drinking can resume.
I have sometimes wondered how many women just don’t pick up again after the birth.
So...now you are thinking that you might be drinking too much, I guess, and would like to protect your health, much as you did when you stopped drinking for the baby’s health.
It’s a good goal.
But now we’re talking long term commitment.
That to me is where the difference lies.
It is choosing not to drink for one’s own sake.
I hope you do stop, as it is a healthy thing to do, mentally and physically.
Good luck.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes! Get pregnant! Why haven't I thought of this?!
Old 01-14-2018, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I remember I would only drink 2 weekends a month while actively trying havingbto wait a third weekend if I was late lol. Pregnancy and 2 years breast feeding, easily done... it took me a year after deciding I was an alcoholic and knowing I had to quit to actually do it. Infact during my last pregnancy i had a drinking dream and got scared, not scared enough... our minds are amazing things.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I, like many other women, have no problem stopping while pregnant.

I've been trying to get sober since April last year, with my longest stretch about 7 weeks of sobriety. It's a whole new ball game. Very different from stopping while pregnant.

It's funny that we can't prioritise our own health in the way we do for our unborn children!
Old 01-14-2018, 09:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Never been pregnant of course, but I imagine it's different simply in that there's an end date to the pregnancy.

There's no end date to me wanting to live a sober life

D