SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Is becoming sober different than when you can’t drink during preganancy? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/421913-becoming-sober-different-than-when-you-can-t-drink-during-preganancy.html)

Readygo 01-14-2018 04:08 PM

Is becoming sober different than when you can’t drink during preganancy?

I have had no trouble stopping drinking when I am pregnant or in that phase of planning to be but aren’t sure yet. But once I’m not pregnant I go back to drinking and then progressively it’s somethubg I look forward to and it goes on... this time I’m not pregnant but want to be done because I can see where I’m headed if I continue.

I’m trying to not think too long term as a lot of advice is that it’s overwhelming and a huge reason for people giving up, but I don’t want to say “oh it’s been 9 months (or a year... or 5 years) and realize my commitment was the same as when I was pregnant.

I’d figure than since I’m doing this for me and for long term affects in general my commitment will stick.

Dropsie 01-14-2018 04:21 PM

Its interesting right?

We all quit like nothing when we are pregnant and then the minutes its over, its over.

I wish I had taken those chances to make a lasting change. I got there in the end, but could have saved me a lot of pain (and the kids).

Maudcat 01-14-2018 04:32 PM

Hi, Readygo.
Welcome.
It’s different, but in some ways the same.
Moms- to-be stop drinking during pregnancy because they want to protect the baby’s health.
So it’s a good, short-term commitment.
I think, for many, there is a sense that after the child is born, drinking can resume.
I have sometimes wondered how many women just don’t pick up again after the birth.
So...now you are thinking that you might be drinking too much, I guess, and would like to protect your health, much as you did when you stopped drinking for the baby’s health.
It’s a good goal.
But now we’re talking long term commitment.
That to me is where the difference lies.
It is choosing not to drink for one’s own sake.
I hope you do stop, as it is a healthy thing to do, mentally and physically.
Good luck.

Offthemast 01-14-2018 04:34 PM

Yes! Get pregnant! Why haven't I thought of this?! ;) :D

MyLittleHorsie 01-14-2018 04:40 PM

I remember I would only drink 2 weekends a month while actively trying havingbto wait a third weekend if I was late lol. Pregnancy and 2 years breast feeding, easily done... it took me a year after deciding I was an alcoholic and knowing I had to quit to actually do it. Infact during my last pregnancy i had a drinking dream and got scared, not scared enough... our minds are amazing things.

time2shineagain 01-14-2018 05:47 PM

I, like many other women, have no problem stopping while pregnant.

I've been trying to get sober since April last year, with my longest stretch about 7 weeks of sobriety. It's a whole new ball game. Very different from stopping while pregnant.

It's funny that we can't prioritise our own health in the way we do for our unborn children!

Dee74 01-14-2018 09:48 PM

Never been pregnant of course, but I imagine it's different simply in that there's an end date to the pregnancy.

There's no end date to me wanting to live a sober life :)

D