Notices

Advice??

Old 01-10-2018, 04:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice??

Hi

This is my first post as I am newbie. My partner has relapsed & is in complete denial. He has disappeared from home & from our relationship, he is still local & has totally isolated himself to hide his habit. He drops me a text every few weeks, he will not admit he has relapsed which i am struggling with. I dont understand why he cannot just tell me???
Old 01-10-2018, 05:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Some members of my family went/still go to al anon meetings. From what they’ve said they’ve helped a lot. Check out al anon.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. I'm sorry to read your situation. It could be so many things - denial, guilt, shame - it is hard to know.
It might be worth checking out the friends & family section of this site for support too.
Take care x
Old 01-10-2018, 05:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Kez. I'm very sorry for what brings you to these boards. Addiction is baffling. On one hand, your partner has to know that you know. But my guess, and it is just a guess, is that he has planted some idea in his mind that he can explain all of this away without admitting to the relapse. For an active addict, the continued use of our drug of choice becomes our highest priority, even if that means lying to the person we are closest to. This constant deception played a big role in finally pushing me to recovery, but it didn't come easy or early. I would recommend that you get some input from the Friends & Family Forum. I would also make sure that you are taking care of you. You didn't choose this life and you need not accept it. While I am all for supporting the addict seeking recovery, I don't support anyone spending a lifetime chasing around someone who is not earnestly seeking recovery. Good luck to you.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Your "partner" contacts you "every few weeks". Not much of a partner.

May be time to reevaluate that situation.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As I stated he has walked from our home & relationship, i guess I struggle calling him my ex partner as it's still very raw
Old 01-10-2018, 06:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you😁
Old 01-10-2018, 07:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you, very helpful response so thank you. Means alot!
Old 01-10-2018, 07:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JJ991 View Post
Hi and welcome. I'm sorry to read your situation. It could be so many things - denial, guilt, shame - it is hard to know.
It might be worth checking out the friends & family section of this site for support too.
Take care x
Thank you I will check friends & family x
Old 01-10-2018, 07:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't have any advice, but welcome to SR Kez.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberandhonest View Post
Hi Kez. I'm very sorry for what brings you to these boards. Addiction is baffling. On one hand, your partner has to know that you know. But my guess, and it is just a guess, is that he has planted some idea in his mind that he can explain all of this away without admitting to the relapse. For an active addict, the continued use of our drug of choice becomes our highest priority, even if that means lying to the person we are closest to. This constant deception played a big role in finally pushing me to recovery, but it didn't come easy or early. I would recommend that you get some input from the Friends & Family Forum. I would also make sure that you are taking care of you. You didn't choose this life and you need not accept it. While I am all for supporting the addict seeking recovery, I don't support anyone spending a lifetime chasing around someone who is not earnestly seeking recovery. Good luck to you.
Thank you, all makes sense! Thank you for taking the time to reply
Old 01-10-2018, 07:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your situation, Kez.

It's a good plan to check out the Friends & Families Forum, and do check out AlAnon in your area as a support for you.