Notices

Waking up and feeling depressed

Old 01-02-2018, 07:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Waking up and feeling depressed

I'm on day 11 now sober. The thing is that now I find myself waking up feeling in a very depressed mood. It takes me until afternoon for the depressed feelings to go away, and by evening I feel good. Anyone ever feel this way? Am I not getting enough sleep or something? I would like to wake up in a positive mood, which is the same way I went to bed.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Whopper and welcome! The first few weeks of sobriety are a roller coaster, physically and emotionally. Hopefully you are engaging in some kind of program to support your recovery? If not, I would highly suggest that you start. You'll feel productive, be among people who understand, and feel more secure in early recovery. I hear many people in meetings speak about how they were "dry" for months at a time, meaning not drunk but miserable. Achieving sobriety is about more than just not drinking. But be patient with yourself as well - day 11 is great and you deserve a lot of credit! Depending on your drinking behavior etc, you could still be having withdrawal and your body is adjusting to this massive change. I said this in another post too - my vitamin levels and electrolytes were all over the place when I stopped, and that can take a toll on all functions including mood.

Wishing you the best of luck!
Old 01-02-2018, 07:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That happened to me and was a symptom of my withdrawal
It lasted a couple of weeks
Came and went throughout the days
I knew it was a symptom and it had also happened every morning after I’d drank and it got much worse in the last year
Now that I’m almost a month sober it’s completely gone as well as the anxiety
It’s been gone for awhile now
Old 01-02-2018, 07:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you considered seeing a Dr Whopper? Seems to me you've been depressed for a while?

D
Old 01-02-2018, 08:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Have you considered seeing a Dr Whopper? Seems to me you've been depressed for a while?

D
I've gotten an antidepressant in the past. Zoloft. It did work for me at first but I found I got the same good feeling from exercising. I know what I am not happy with in my life, and I would be happy if I can find a way to change those things with bother me.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello whopper - they're bad for you you know

I'm not a medical professional and I am not offering medical advice. I'll just share a few thoughts on this. Did you ever notice on the zoloft label there is a caution: Do not consume alcohol while taking zoloft. SSRIs all act in a similar manner.
Alcohol acts in the opposite way to these meds. Think of the cartoon where one guy is trying to empty a bathtub with a pail while another is trying to fill the tub with pails of water at the same time. Taking zoloft and consuming quantities of alcohol is somewhat the same to your brain.
When I first quit 'they' wanted to prescribe zoloft to me. I told them no, I would tough it out to give my brain a chance to "reset". It took a while for the brain to reset. But I do not take any medications.
That being said, I went through a period of depression when I first got sober. You will experience many emotions, highs and lows as time progresses.
Some people really need the help of medication to get them through. Know that since you are not consuming alcohol - right? - the medicines may act differently now. Discuss this with your doctor and perhaps she can find a dosage that works for you. It does take some time to find the right balance. Don't expect it to work overnight, but don't wait too long to ask for a reassessment if you feel it is not working for you. If you feel that exercise works for you, try it. Some people need the extra boost of medication, some people can figure it out and get along fine without medication. I know that many doctors are now reluctant to push ssri's on people. Just don't completely rule it out for the short term.
You really do need to have a frank discussion with your doctor about this, hopefully a doctor that is trained in addiction - most are not.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have morning depression. You might want to google "diurnal mood variation."
Old 01-03-2018, 02:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FallingStars View Post
This sounds like me.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FallingStars View Post
^^^^^This

I was going to suggest you look it up also. I struggle with this...I wake up feeling low, unmotivated and even sad...it makes getting up and facing the day so difficult. However by mid-morning I am feeling much better and by bed time I am so motivated and enthusiastic...but then the cycle starts again.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

D
I payed a visit to my doc. He prescribed a anti-depressant for me. So far it has been helping me. I don't feel depressed like before.