Notices

Anxiety sucks

Old 12-27-2017, 03:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety sucks

Happy Xmas everyone spent most of mine with terrible anxiety and panic attacks.Just over two weeks sober and it’s probably worse now than the first week but I’m breathing through it and managing the breathless panicking feeling.Cant pinpoint any triggers so I’m guessing it’s just withdrawals,seems to be easing off today.Hows everybody else doing?
Old 12-27-2017, 04:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

It will get better.... Trust me.

Body and mind go through a lot of things... While "re-wiring" without alcohol. You are getting over the hump.

Hang in there!
Old 12-27-2017, 05:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ah, I feel for you Liv. I get terrible anxiety, panicky feelings and obsessive thinking. It does start to ease up after a while. Mindfulpeace meditations on youtube help me and loads of baths (ginger and bergamot oil), walking, massages etc.

Stick with it. Drinking makes anxiety sooo much worse. You can get through this. Gabe xx
Old 12-27-2017, 05:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't really suffer from anxiety that much - very, very infrequent anyway.

Although on about Day 20 I woke up in the middle of the night feeling massively anxious and in a state of panic from nowhere. It took an hour or so to subside and then it went completely.

I just think it's our brains re-wiring?
Old 12-27-2017, 05:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

At 2 weeks I had me some anxiety and at least 2 full scale panic attacks
Coffee was partially to blame
I was drinking so much daily that I didn’t even realize the amount
But coffee wasn’t the only reason
Just a culprit for some of it
Week 3 and mine has eased up considerably
Old 12-27-2017, 08:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I get anxiety and panic attacks even without going through withdrawal. I take medication which helps a lot. You're not alone. Best thing to do when getting anxiety to to leave the house and go for a walk to turn the anxiety into a rush .
Old 12-27-2017, 12:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rodney18 View Post
At 2 weeks I had me some anxiety and at least 2 full scale panic attacks
Coffee was partially to blame
I was drinking so much daily that I didn’t even realize the amount
But coffee wasn’t the only reason
Just a culprit for some of it
Week 3 and mine has eased up considerably
Ooooo that’s good to know I’ve started drinking tea instead of coffee it definitely wasn’t helping.This seems to be my only withdrawal symptom luckily
Old 12-27-2017, 12:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ozm8ey View Post
I get anxiety and panic attacks even without going through withdrawal. I take medication which helps a lot. You're not alone. Best thing to do when getting anxiety to to leave the house and go for a walk to turn the anxiety into a rush .
Being alone seems to make it worse and over exerting myself going to book in with my GP not a trainee if it’s no better by new year.Never thought I’d ever suffer with something like this or that the mind could play such tricks.The damage alcohol does is insane so glad I’m never going to go through this again 👍🏻 Glad your pills are helping wouldn’t wish this on anyone
Old 12-27-2017, 06:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi I suffer from terrible anxiety and panic attacks. I have been at the hospital twice in the last month. Feel like I should wear a bracelet stating I get panic attacks because I just fall on the floor and shake and cry which looks exactly like a seizure. I know how bad it is. Multiple symptoms - heart pain, palpation's, searing pain in head, not being able to breath, dropping through the floor and the worst is the feeling that this is it, I am dying. All I know is that alcohol seems like the ultimate comfort at those moments ( which are daily for me), but I know for sure that during the little sober times I have had the anxiety has been better. I don't know I guess I just wanted you to know that I understand. Its a daily nightmare.Its hell on earth. I hope your suffering eases soon.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you

Originally Posted by sunshinel View Post
Hi I suffer from terrible anxiety and panic attacks. I have been at the hospital twice in the last month. Feel like I should wear a bracelet stating I get panic attacks because I just fall on the floor and shake and cry which looks exactly like a seizure. I know how bad it is. Multiple symptoms - heart pain, palpation's, searing pain in head, not being able to breath, dropping through the floor and the worst is the feeling that this is it, I am dying. All I know is that alcohol seems like the ultimate comfort at those moments ( which are daily for me), but I know for sure that during the little sober times I have had the anxiety has been better. I don't know I guess I just wanted you to know that I understand. Its a daily nightmare.Its hell on earth. I hope your suffering eases soon.
My first week sober started off really anxious and panicky think I managed 2/3 days of feeling normal then bam back to breathlessness and feeling jumpy all the time.Hoping the longer I’m sober the better it gets.Do you take medication for your attacks they sound severe? Are you still drinking to cope?
Old 12-28-2017, 02:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My favourite breathing exercise was one where you breath one one nostril and out of the other, then swap nostrils and repeat (do about 10 times). It's supposed to rebalance us mentally. (Not good if you have a cold though lol).

So, in left, out right
In right, out left
Etc Etc.

If you use your right hand thumb on your right nostril, balance / stay secure with 1st and 2nd fingertips resting on centre of forehead (between brows) and third finger on left nostril, that is quite comfy (or equiv using left hand).

Gratitude lists are good.

Talking to others- on here, or AA hotline or people you've met in the fellowship if you've been or just calling a member of family or a friend and ask how THEY are. You don't even need to talk about yourself - its like magic!

I remember the supermarket used to be the worst place for my anxiety. Maybe just sensory overload. I'd almost be hyperventilating in there. Often it was like I'd just forget to breathe properly, so focussing on my breathing in a quiet space worked well.

Good luck with your GP. Make sure you tell them the whole story (i.e. why you're quitting alcohol) because otherwise they might give you meds that could be addictive themselves and that would just make things worse, not better.

BB
Old 01-03-2018, 07:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

how to beat anxiety!!!!

[QUOTE=sunshinel;6724286]Hi I suffer from terrible anxiety and panic attacks. I have been at the hospital twice in the last month. Feel like I should wear a bracelet stating I get panic attacks because I just fall on the floor and shake and cry which looks exactly like a seizure. I know how bad it is. Multiple symptoms - heart pain, palpation's, searing pain in head, not being able to breath, dropping through the floor and the worst is the feeling that this is it, I am dying. All I know is that alcohol seems like the ultimate comfort at those moments ( which are daily for me), but I know for sure that during the little sober
Anxiety is fear of death! the only way to beat it is to become friends with it.. embrace it, hug it, welcome it! and when you do that, guess what, it goes away! seems crazy , but it works! try to bring a panic attack on.. lay in your bed, imagine your death , see yourself in a coffin , family crying etc... you can even cry while doing this. face your biggest fear! if panic comes, invite it , feel it, embrace it.. after a few of these, you will look at anxiety like its nothing...
Old 01-03-2018, 07:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Everyone is different, I had anxiety really bad for 6 months after stopping. Over the holidays I was also a wreck and having panic attacks mostly over a NYE event I had to work. I'm nearly 11 months sober now, at least this time the anxiety went away when the event was finished and I'm feeling empowered by it.

It's a struggle at first, you just have to hang in there and see it out.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It seems to be very common for a lot of us, and for me it happens for days even without a full scale relapse bender. I've tried the moderation thing a few times and even after a few beers my anxiety is through the roof for days afterwards. All health related. Starts with dizziness then skyrockets when I think I'm dying. It does get better with time. Took me a few tries to realize it's definitely not worth that drink or two to fit in. Try to focus on how much less it hits you every day. You can compare the two, let yourself know it's temporary and slowly but surely easier to deal with until it's an afterthought
Old 01-03-2018, 08:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Anxiety does suck.

Sometimes I apply the 12 steps, but to anxiety instead of alcohol ("I admit my powerlessness over Anxiety", etc.), and try to work it that way.

Physically, I feel anxiety as a low-level pressure/tightness in my chest and heightened alertness. I personified this feeling as a stranger, something that didn't belong, tried to evict it, and/or wait for it to leave. That didn't really work. Instead my therapist has worked with me to identify that feeling as part of me and treat it with compassion. So, instead I've nicknamed it "the skeptic". When those feelings of anxiety are strong, I treat it as the skeptic trying to alert me that something is wrong - not the impending doom/hypochondria/fear type wrong - but that I need to pay more attention to a problem, address a feeling, eat something, get more sleep, meditate, etc.

That doesn't always work.

I just got 9 months. Anxiety comes and goes for me as part of PAWS, and I get that. I have been trying to go the natural/holistic route. But it's starting to wear on me, and at my next Dr. visit I am considering asking for a referral to see if there are anti-anxiety medications appropriate to where I am. It's not that the holistic way doesn't have value, but I'm getting kind of tired of it myself.

BTW though, between now and my sobriety date, I have had anxiety-free periods. It did go away, and it feels awesome when it does. But it often comes back, and that's when it can knock you off your recovery. So have some tools in your toolkit, whatever you think works for you.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
dbr

My anxiety has gone crazy, but im only heading into my 3rd day
Old 01-03-2018, 09:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I can highly recommend a free, phone app, called FLOWY
It tells you when to breathe in - hold your breath and breathe out and has very cute graphics
Brilliant for bringing you out of anxiety/panic attacks.
Not sure if it's available for laptops etc.