Notices

Not sure what to do

Old 01-01-2018, 04:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not sure what to do

Hi,

I don't really know where to start, or if I'm 'that bad' so to speak. I have long periods of taking prescription pain drugs (much more than I should relative to the pain I'm in). I also smoke a bit of weed from time to time but never saw this as much of an issue until recently.

My main problem seems to be that every now and then I go out drinking and taking coke and just lose control. No idea why, I can go months without doing it.

Last night I lost an important relationship and I think I need help. Everything sounds too severe though, I'm no where near as bad as some people and kind of feel ashamed to compare my troubles to theirs.

I've never asked for help before and don't really know what to do?
Old 01-01-2018, 05:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Anon and welcome to SR.

I knew I had a problem also, still do. I'm not as bad as some but also worse than many who can drink normally. the most important thing is that if it's a problem for us then that's enough for us to do something about it.

There's people here at all different stages and everyone is very welcome.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Anon,
Welcome to SR. Keep reading, keep posting and join the January Class for support and building friendships, too. We are a great group of people that will be there for you everytime you reach out! Glad you are here. Stay with us! Together we are strong!
Old 01-01-2018, 05:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. It doesn't matter how 'bad' your problem is, if it's causing you trouble, then you should address it now before it gets worse. I hope our support can help you get sober for good and build the life you want for yourself.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome AY!

After going to SMART meetings and reading on this forum I know that my problem was not as great as many, many other people's (yet) BUT it was still definitely a big problem in my life. So without comparing myself to others I had to do something about it. Sounds like you want to make some changes too. There's loads of help here.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
Hi Anon and welcome to SR.

I knew I had a problem also, still do. I'm not as bad as some but also worse than many who can drink normally. the most important thing is that if it's a problem for us then that's enough for us to do something about it.

There's people here at all different stages and everyone is very welcome.
Thank you. I do have a problem. I'll do anything to sort it out, can't continue like this.

Just feel alone and all my friends are like me with the same kinds of things going on. I don't make new friends easily so I feel isolated if I try to distance myself from all this and I think that's what makes me do it all again.

I always go out with the intention of just having a few and it always gets crazy. Can someone like me just be normal? Or do I need to stop everything and be totally sober? I'm starting to think I'm addicted and can't help myself.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone else too I'll try the January thing, want to be sober, and mainly just want to feel properly happy again.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know personally I can't moderate. Dont get me wrong, some times I can just have a couple of drinks. I CAN stop I just don't want to stop. What's the point in just having a couple. I drink to get drunk, numb, forget, be more outgoing etc. Then I drink too much, blackout, say and do bad things and make a complete fool of myself.

Only abstinence works for me,
Old 01-01-2018, 05:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
I know personally I can't moderate. Dont get me wrong, some times I can just have a couple of drinks. I CAN stop I just don't want to stop. What's the point in just having a couple. I drink to get drunk, numb, forget, be more outgoing etc. Then I drink too much, blackout, say and do bad things and make a complete fool of myself.

Only abstinence works for me,
That sounds exactly like me
Old 01-01-2018, 05:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnonYorkshire View Post
Hi,

I don't really know where to start, or if I'm 'that bad' so to speak.
seems ya may have a misconception of what "that bad" is. if its "that bad" for you, thats bad enough.

and there IS a solution.

I don't make new friends easily so I feel isolated if I try to distance myself from all this and I think that's what makes me do it all again

it could be just that or,more than likely, a wee bit deeper. i got rid of all my so called friends when i got sober. it took me quite some time to make new friends. yet i didnt drink.
although there were times when i was drinking i used the no friends excuse to drink.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I cannot moderate. Once I have one beer it is never enough. I will drink for days until my body cannot handle anymore alcohol. Then it is time to withdrawl for at least a week of suffering. One drink is all it takes to put me back on the wrong path.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome. Glad you found us.

There's no need to do this alone. And no need for comparisons. There'll always be differences, but the one big similarity is that we all want sobriety, and a better life through recovery.

Have you looked at NarAnon? Free and no need to register or give even your full name. You can turn up to any meeting in the world and be made welcome. There will, be people you relate to and who understand how you're feeling, and who can help you with your goal of long-term abstinence.
https://ukna.org/meetings/search

BB
Old 01-01-2018, 06:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support everyone. I really appreciate you all taking the time to help me. I signed up for the January group.

I looked at NA but they don't seem to have much in my area sadly. That's why it's good to have people to talk to on here I think.

Do you have people who manage it just by being on here? Or do people generally have other support groups they attend in person?
Old 01-01-2018, 06:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It's a real mix.

Not everyone goes to groups, but most folk who find a balance to so by working on recovery rather than just relying on abstaining alone.

Dee has a great thread on devising a recivery plan for yourself. Worth taking a look through it... http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-plans-1.html

BB
Old 01-01-2018, 06:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

In my opinion.....if someone starts going online to ask others if they're "that bad".....they likely already know the answer....
Old 01-01-2018, 06:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

But remember...... nobody ever began to get sober by making a list of things they're not willing to do.....
Old 01-01-2018, 07:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnonYorkshire View Post
Thanks for all the support everyone. I really appreciate you all taking the time to help me. I signed up for the January group.

I looked at NA but they don't seem to have much in my area sadly. That's why it's good to have people to talk to on here I think.

Do you have people who manage it just by being on here? Or do people generally have other support groups they attend in person?
Welcome AnonYorkshire.
I am 5 months sober and I only used SR, so it can be done as plenty here will testify.
I post and read here daily,it really helps me to be accountable. I also read up on alcoholism both on here and bought AA literature Living Sober, which was a big help to me especially in the early days.
I was prepared to consider all help though and would never rule out face to face meetings, I made being sober my number one priority.
I still take it one day at a time though, even now.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome AnonYorkshire, I have similar issues with blackout drinking and lunatic behaviour whilst drunk. I have come to the conclusion that the only real solution is abstinence.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The severity of a problem and its frequency don't necessarily correlate. Even if you do something rarely, but it causes major problems, its an issue.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

some great advice here already Anonyorkshire

I think it is problem, and I think you're wise to try and deal with your problem now

D