Notices

Work and alcohol

Old 12-23-2017, 04:55 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey, if the truth will work, sure, that’s better.

But in my early days the last thing I needed was backup singers to the voice in my head singing “But you weren’t that bad?!” especially if they knew me as a drinking buddy.

And I’m a very private person and this was and is a very personal decision. That’s not information I share with too many, especially not in the workplace.

Whatever works for you...
Old 12-23-2017, 08:56 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm the sole non-drinker where I work (media/advertising, which is only slightly tamer than the restaurant industry, where I used to work). Some folks will be supportive, some will be mean, and the rest won't care. Be unwavering and unapologetic in your decision, and things will eventually sort out
Old 12-24-2017, 03:44 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I know a bartender who has 11 years of sobriety. I also know an owner of a bar/restaurant who is in the AA program. Based on what I have heard from them the culture of drinking is pretty strong in the industry. It's tough and it really depends on your personality. Most but not all people I know in recovery just avoid this situation.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:07 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi tiredwoman I’m also a student, working part time as a waitress. To be honest work is not a huge trigger for me because I’m not a very social person but most of my coworkers drink and party a lot and sometimes after work we would go to a bar together. After I decided to quit in August (sadly I relapsed recently and I’m on day 3 again...), I told everyone at work that I’m having a break from drinking. I thought they would make a big deal out of it but it was fine, yes, some people were surprised why would I do such a thing (heh) but nobody seemed to really care that much and after a while they stopped including me in their pub gatherings and other drinking ‘activities’. I still hang out with some people from work that I like, we go for coffee or food together.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:14 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Snufkin View Post
Hi tiredwoman I’m also a student, working part time as a waitress. To be honest work is not a huge trigger for me because I’m not a very social person but most of my coworkers drink and party a lot and sometimes after work we would go to a bar together. After I decided to quit in August (sadly I relapsed recently and I’m on day 3 again...), I told everyone at work that I’m having a break from drinking. I thought they would make a big deal out of it but it was fine, yes, some people were surprised why would I do such a thing (heh) but nobody seemed to really care that much and after a while they stopped including me in their pub gatherings and other drinking ‘activities’. I still hang out with some people from work that I like, we go for coffee or food together.
Thank you so much for this post!
Old 12-24-2017, 04:28 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Tiredwoman - boy do I have a lot to say about this topic!! PM me for a conversation if you like - I too am in the restaurant world, and I was when drinking and since sober. It is absolutely possible to be sober in it, and it is also a unique world. I now run a recovery group just for resto industry people struggling with alcoholism & addiction.

You can do it - and btw, I totally understand the money situation, and I went back to work as a server at 5 1/2 mo sober and became able to support myself again. Now, I am recently married and as my main "job" is running the group, I work a few shifts a week as a hostess- my husband and I have worked out how to make this arrangement work.

IMO and IME - the decision to be sober no matter what, where or when is the reason that we can be sober anywhere. Good habits (like not sticking around for drinking time after work) do help a lot, especially in early days - and growth and ease of being anywhere can come.

Keep going. You can do this.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:44 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Tiredwoman - boy do I have a lot to say about this topic!! PM me for a conversation if you like - I too am in the restaurant world, and I was when drinking and since sober. It is absolutely possible to be sober in it, and it is also a unique world. I now run a recovery group just for resto industry people struggling with alcoholism & addiction.

You can do it - and btw, I totally understand the money situation, and I went back to work as a server at 5 1/2 mo sober and became able to support myself again. Now, I am recently married and as my main "job" is running the group, I work a few shifts a week as a hostess- my husband and I have worked out how to make this arrangement work.

IMO and IME - the decision to be sober no matter what, where or when is the reason that we can be sober anywhere. Good habits (like not sticking around for drinking time after work) do help a lot, especially in early days - and growth and ease of being anywhere can come.

Keep going. You can do this.
Really, really loved this post. Thanks a lot. It's so good to see that you're able to work in the restaurant industry while also being a recovering alcoholic but being able to chase the temptations away. Funny thing is I enjoy my job but my addiction drags me down. I hope to emulate you in the coming future.